Chargers with the 27th Pick Select...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers with the 27th Pick Select...

Which area should the chargers lean towards?
    Last edited by Thunder&Lightning; 01-29-2008, 07:55 PM.

Im gonna say we pick Reggie Smith out of Oklahoma. He would be a perfect nickel corner for us right now with Florence probably gone and could possibly be our free safety of the future.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
    RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Comment

I think we end up picking a DB or OT. A lot of it depends on how they feel about Paul Oliver and Cletis Gordon. I think Gordon has the ideal tools to play nickel. He is a great athlete with promise but he hasn't really done anything yet. I'd definitely like to see him get a legitimate shot. Oliver is kind of an enigma and I don't think, if the rumors are true, his move to safety will effect the team's draft plans. He has great hands, good tackling and is very physical, good speed for a safety and has enough size, but it is impossible to know how he'll react to a position switch. If there is one thing we know about AJ Smith it is that he likes to have depth and perceives future needs. I think the Chargers will stick with that philosophy covering all their bases and select a player with the versatility to play both corner and safety. Hopefully Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and/or Reggie Smith make it to 27.

From what I have seen, Jeromy Clary leaves something to be desired as a RT. Its no secret the Chargers like to run to the left side and I think that it would be nice to select a dominant right tackle prospect to finally put an end to any oline worries. If we pick a guy like Gosder Cherilus who can dominate both in the run and passing game we wouldn't even have to think about drafting oline (except maybe a center) for a while. Clary and Olivea would provide great depth at both OT and G and either one of them or Mruczkowski will be able to take over for Goff once he leaves.

Comment

We should create a Chargers draft big board.. ranking in order the guys we would want .. try and get a consensus.. then see what happens in the draft

sig by bosanac01

Comment

Originally posted by Average OT LB View Post
          We should create a Chargers draft big board.. ranking in order the guys we would want .. try and get a consensus.. then see what happens in the draft
          Who would be #1? Jake Long? Kenny Phillips?

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
          RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Comment

Tom Zbikowski: Would be great for the chargers, he had a great senior bowl week of practice and a great game. We got to see how well he can play when he has good corner's to work with. He would allow Eric Weddle to move to FS (a better fit for him IMO, being that he is a natural ballhawk), and provide an upgrade over Clinton Hart, being that he is faster and a better overall athlete. Once is drops a sub 4.5 fourty (my prediction is a 4.43) he should be a lock for the late first round.

Comment

Originally posted by sidvicious68330 View Post
              Tom Zbikowski: Would be great for the chargers, he had a great senior bowl week of practice and a great game. We got to see how well he can play when he has good corner's to work with. He would allow Eric Weddle to move to FS (a better fit for him IMO, being that he is a natural ballhawk), and provide an upgrade over Clinton Hart, being that he is faster and a better overall athlete. Once is drops a sub 4.5 fourty (my prediction is a 4.43) he should be a lock for the late first round.
              This might just be irrational Notre Dame hate, but if the Chargers draft Tommy Z anywhere before the sixth or seventh round, I'll be pissed off and probably throw whatever is in my hand.
              aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Carl Nicks

I think the Dark Horse at #27 would be Carl Nicks. He is the kind of Road Grader that would move this Oline into the elite category. It would be the kind of pick that would extend LT's dominance and Rivers protection appreciably. I really think Nicks could be a better run blocker than Cherilus, and a tick below in the pass game.

The DB idea's are all good candidates at #27, maybe DeJuan Morgan of SC State who Mayock thinks is a better prospect than the hyped Kenny Phillips.

One thing I am sure of, AJ will hit at least a standup double with this pick (like Buster Davis pick last year who will be solid).....but more likely hit one out of the park!

Comment

it would be pretty sick to have both cromartie's at db though, and aj smith has said before he loves having 3 corners and he could be very tempted since he's seen first hand the upside and potential the other cromartie had...just seems like a pick that be hard for him to pass up, especially with them being cousins, i dont think there was a huge need for antonio either but its payed off

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by sdpads24 View Post
                    Who would be #1? Jake Long? Kenny Phillips?
                    Yeah i guess we should include everyone right even if they would be unrealistic. Thats the only way it would be a true Big Board.

It'd be
                    Phillips
                    Jake Long
                    Clady
                    Otah
                    Cherilus
                    Mike Jenkins
                    Mckelvin
                    Rodgers-Cromartie
                    Reggie Smith
                    Sam Baker

I just did a quick top 10 to get it started..

sig by bosanac01

Comment

The only positions I would really hate to see taken in the first round are RB, QB, WR. I wouldn't really want a LB, because I like the guys we have already, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. I would however, like to see us look for a strong OL, specifically RT prospect like a Cherilus, or whoever is available, or looking at the other side of the ball, a safety who can play opposite weddle in the future, or a nickel CB, as I agree with AJ it's very important, especially if we will be facing offenses like Indy and NE, to have three strong CB's who can cover. Depth on the DL wouldn't be a terrible thing for us either.

Comment

I think my big board would look something like this...

Phillips
                        Clady
                        Ellis/Dorsey
                        Cromartie
                        McKelvin
                        Jenkins
                        Smith
                        Cherilus
                        Baker
                        Jones

I would love Phillips, DRC and McKelvin most for our team. Clady, Ellis and Dorsey are only there for me because of their value. Realistically I think DRC, Smith, Cherilus and Baker may be there. If all those players are gone I would probably go with Felix Jones (with Michael Turner leaving and LT's age factor) or another O-Line RT type.

Another guy I could see making it in there depending on how he grades out with AJ Smith and Buddy Nix could be Red Bryant the DT from Texas AM. To me he looks like Jamal Williams pt. 2. Depending how he grades out at the combine he might be a name you start seeing slip into the first round.

I REALLY don't buy any of the Kentwan Balmer hype. He doesn't seem to fit this team at all unless they plan on replaceing Igor Olshansky and I seriously don't see that happening after his 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by KRS1 View Post
                          I think my big board would look something like this...

Phillips
                          Clady

Ellis/Dorsey
                          Cromartie
                          McKelvin
                          Jenkins
                          Smith
                          Cherilus
                          Baker
                          Jones

I would love Phillips, DRC and McKelvin most for our team. Clady, Ellis and Dorsey are only there for me because of their value. Realistically I think DRC, Smith, Cherilus and Baker may be there. If all those players are gone I would probably go with Felix Jones (with Michael Turner leaving and LT's age factor) or another O-Line RT type.

Another guy I could see making it in there depending on how he grades out with AJ Smith and Buddy Nix could be Red Bryant the DT from Texas AM. To me he looks like Jamal Williams pt. 2. Depending how he grades out at the combine he might be a name you start seeing slip into the first round.

I REALLY don't buy any of the Kentwan Balmer hype. He doesn't seem to fit this team at all unless they plan on replaceing Igor Olshansky and I seriously don't see that happening after his 2007.

WHAT HAPPENED TO JAKE LONG??

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
                            WHAT HAPPENED TO JAKE LONG??
                            I guess I just don't see Long playing RT. With McNeil pretty much cementing himself there for good, I assume we would look at RT and Clady spent a whole season there in college and Long only played a few games on the right side. Not trying to slight Jake Long in the slightest trust me. I'm just thinking in terms of players I would covet most if I were in the Chargers FO.

Comment

Originally posted by KRS1 View Post
                              I guess I just don't see Long playing RT. With McNeil pretty much cementing himself there for good, I assume we would look at RT and Clady spent a whole season there in college and Long only played a few games on the right side. Not trying to slight Jake Long in the slightest trust me. I'm just thinking in terms of players I would covet most if I were in the Chargers FO.
                              Well said, good point.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information