issac sopogoa
    abrayo franklin
    takeo spikes
    ahmad brooks
    walt harris
    shawntee spener
    mark roman
    keith and michael lewis
    I hate releasing players. I'd rather trade them somehow and get something for them; even if that is 7th round picks.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• I don't see any good in releasing both started safties, starting corner, the bulk of the starting rotation at NT, and the starting MLB. I'm thinking San Fran is high on getting a proven HC after the Nolan debacle.

Comment

• So, who do you guys think is going to be cut/not re-sign from the roster for next year? We have a lot of trash on the roster and i think we need to gut some bad/overpaid players.

QB- J.T. O'Sullivan
        QB- Jamie Martin
        QB- Alex Smith (i thnk he will be re-signed to a short deal)
        RB- Deshaun Foster
        FB- Zak Keasey
        WR- Isaac Bruce
        WR- Bryant Johnson
        TE- Billy Bajema
        TE- Sean Ryan
        OT- Jonas Jennings
        OT- Barry Sims
        DT- Aurbrayo Franklin
        LB- Jeff Ulbrich
        CB- Walt Harris
        FS- Mark Roman

I think we'll re-sign

-Ronald Fields (for competition)
        -Donald Strickland (Dimeback, Special Teams)
        -Takeo Spikes
        -Alex Smith (as stated above)
        -Allen Rossum

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
          my mock draft among other tidbits that i hope come to pass

new coach - jim shwartz - d.c. Tenn Titans

release the followig players:
          alex smith
          jonas jennings
          jaime martin
          arnaz battle
          barry sims
          issac sopogoa
          abrayo franklin
          takeo spikes
          ahmad brooks
          walt harris
          shawntee spener
          mark roman
          keith and michael lewis

sign the following:
          T.J. Houshmandzadeh
          jordan gross
          darren sharper
          jeff garcia ( as a backup )

draft if it was right now rds 1-4
          1. arron cuury - olb
          2. jason smith - ot
          3. michael hamlin - s
          4. dominique johnson - cb
          Ok why would we release Alex Smith, Arnaz Battle, ICE, Takeo Spikes, Shawntae Spencer, and the two Lewis'?

Smith is going to get another chance at starting next year, and I think if he stays healthy that will finally be the year. Battle? One of the best blocking WR's in the NFL and a great slot? No no way. ICE? just re-signed him to a 5 year deal and he has been solid this year don't see him going anywhere no reason to.

Spencer? Why he is a great nickel that has starting ability. Michael Lewis is a great in the box safety and Keith is great as his backup that will not happen. Spikes has been awesome this year for us. He needs to stay around so he can mentor whomever the young guy is that we bring in to take his spot.

Housh would be a dumb signing since we are loaded with young WR's that are emerging. Gross would be a good signing giving us two great bookend tackles. Sharper and Garcia? No just no.

Why would we take a luxiory pick with our first pick? No that will be an OT. Jason Smith will not fall to the second round. Hamlin is also a SS and we need a FS.
          Originally posted by 49erNation85
          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123
            my mock draft among other tidbits that i hope come to pass

new coach - jim shwartz - d.c. Tenn Titans
            No Thanks. I dont want another DC to be our next HC. I want someone who's already been a HC and knows what he's doing.

Originally posted by chapo123
            release the followig players:
            alex smith
            jonas jennings
            jaime martin
            arnaz battle
            barry sims
            issac sopogoa
            abrayo franklin
            takeo spikes
            ahmad brooks
            walt harris
            shawntee spener
            mark roman
            keith and michael lewis
            WTF??? Are you kidding me??? I would keep Smith (and Hill) to compete for the starting QB job with it being Hill's to lose. Sullivan should be on the list instead of Smith. At least Smth is still very young and still has an upside. I agree with Jennings, Martin, Franklin, Harris and Roman. I would keep Battle and release Bruce instead. Sims should be retained for depth. Sopoaga should be the starting DT and we just signed him to an extension. Spikes is 50/50. On one hand, he's done better than expected but on the other who knows how he'll play next year. Brooks was already released which was a stupid move in my opinion. I would keep Spencer as the nickelback with Keith Lewis being our best special teams player and Michael Lewis has been for us what Parrish was when he replaced Schulters in 2002. No way I let either Lewis leave.

sign the following:
            T.J. Houshmandzadeh
            jordan gross
            darren sharper
            jeff garcia ( as a backup )
            No thanks to T.J. He'll be 32 when the 2009 season has already started and isnt worth the money that he's going to want to get. Forget Gross as he's most likely going to stay in CAR and overpaying a RT isnt a smart move. I say stay with Snyder at RT. Sharper??? No thanks. Basically, you want to overpay two old players to be starters for us??? You've got to be kidding me because this is how you get into cap hell. By overpaying all these old players that wont play out their entire contract. Want to overpay someone? Overpay Suggs who's only 26 years old, in his prime and fills arguably, our biggest need. Overpay Dansby who's only 27 years old, in his prime and would complete our LB core for what should be the 4-3 next season. Garcia is the only one I agree with but I wouldnt pay him more than $1m per season and thats being generous.

draft if it was right now rds 1-4
            1. arron cuury - olb
            2. jason smith - ot
            3. michael hamlin - s
            4. dominique johnson - cb
            Sorry, but I rather overpay Suggs and/or Dansby to play OLB depending on what we run and draft CB Malcolm Jenkins and if that means trading up to get him, so be it. M. Lewis is set at SS for the next three years and isnt going anywhere so forget it. FS should be Reggie Smth which is what he was drafted to be. Safeties are set. My starting OL would already be set and I would draft a backup OG and OT on the second day. And why would I draft a CB in round four to compete with others who at best are nickelbacks?

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87
              So, who do you guys think is going to be cut/not re-sign from the roster for next year? We have a lot of trash on the roster and i think we need to gut some bad/overpaid players.

QB- J.T. O'Sullivan
              QB- Jamie Martin
              QB- Alex Smith (i thnk he will be re-signed to a short deal)
              RB- Deshaun Foster
              FB- Zak Keasey
              WR- Isaac Bruce
              WR- Bryant Johnson
              TE- Billy Bajema
              TE- Sean Ryan
              OT- Jonas Jennings
              OT- Barry Sims
              DT- Aurbrayo Franklin
              LB- Jeff Ulbrich
              CB- Walt Harris
              FS- Mark Roman

I think we'll re-sign

-Ronald Fields (for competition)
              -Donald Strickland (Dimeback, Special Teams)
              -Takeo Spikes
              -Alex Smith (as stated above)
              -Allen Rossum
              Agree with releasing Sullivan and Martin. I would keep Smith because releasing/trading him would result in a huge cap hit anyway so mine as well just keep him especially since he'll only be 25 in 2009 and still has a huge upside. Agree with Foster and Keasley. Where the hell is Thomas Clayton??? Agree with Bruce and Johnson was signed to a one year deal and I dont see him coming back. Bajema is cheap and is a good blocker. I keep him and if possible, try to convert him to FB. Either way, I would keep him. Ryan and Jennings agreed. I would keep Sims for depth. Franklin, Harris and Roman agreed. Ulbrich is one of our top special teams players. I would keep him.

Agree with re-signing Fields and Strickland. Spikes would be 50/50. I would let Rossum leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                FS should be Reggie Smth which is what he was drafted to be.
                No for the last time he was drafted to replace Walt.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                I would let Rossum leave.
                Finally have a great kick returner why would we let him go?

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                Forget Gross as he is a RT
                No he would play LT and let Staley move back to RT. I do agree that he will stay in Carolina. Also I would like to hear about your obsession with Dansby and Suggs?
                Last edited by Menardo75; 11-29-2008, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75
                  No for the last time he was drafted to replace Walt.
                  Smith is better suited to be our FS, not our starting CB which will hopefully be Malcolm Jenkins.

Originally posted by Menardo75
                  Finally have a great kick returner why would we let him go?
                  Great??? Good but not great in my opinion.

Originally posted by Menardo75
                  No he would play LT and let Staley move back to RT. I do agree that he will stay in Carolina. Also I would like to hear about your obsession with Dansby and Suggs?
                  I wouldnt overpay Gross when we drafted Staley to play LT and Snyder is better at RT than he is at OG. Do I really have to explain Suggs and Dansby??? Come on.

Comment

• Rossum was leading the NFC (if not the entire NFL) in kick return average going into last week's game. I wasn't big on signing him but he has produced and isn't a weakness on the team.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Rossum is the most consistent kick/punt returner in the league this year and deserves to go to the Pro Bowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                        No Thanks. I dont want another DC to be our next HC. I want someone who's already been a HC and knows what he's doing.

WTF??? Are you kidding me??? I would keep Smith (and Hill) to compete for the starting QB job with it being Hill's to lose. Sullivan should be on the list instead of Smith. At least Smth is still very young and still has an upside. I agree with Jennings, Martin, Franklin, Harris and Roman. I would keep Battle and release Bruce instead. Sims should be retained for depth. Sopoaga should be the starting DT and we just signed him to an extension. Spikes is 50/50. On one hand, he's done better than expected but on the other who knows how he'll play next year. Brooks was already released which was a stupid move in my opinion. I would keep Spencer as the nickelback with Keith Lewis being our best special teams player and Michael Lewis has been for us what Parrish was when he replaced Schulters in 2002. No way I let either Lewis leave.

No thanks to T.J. He'll be 32 when the 2009 season has already started and isnt worth the money that he's going to want to get. Forget Gross as he's most likely going to stay in CAR and overpaying a RT isnt a smart move. I say stay with Snyder at RT. Sharper??? No thanks. Basically, you want to overpay two old players to be starters for us??? You've got to be kidding me because this is how you get into cap hell. By overpaying all these old players that wont play out their entire contract. Want to overpay someone? Overpay Suggs who's only 26 years old, in his prime and fills arguably, our biggest need. Overpay Dansby who's only 27 years old, in his prime and would complete our LB core for what should be the 4-3 next season. Garcia is the only one I agree with but I wouldnt pay him more than $1m per season and thats being generous.

Sorry, but I rather overpay Suggs and/or Dansby to play OLB depending on what we run and draft CB Malcolm Jenkins and if that means trading up to get him, so be it. M. Lewis is set at SS for the next three years and isnt going anywhere so forget it. FS should be Reggie Smth which is what he was drafted to be. Safeties are set. My starting OL would already be set and I would draft a backup OG and OT on the second day. And why would I draft a CB in round four to compete with others who at best are nickelbacks?

no, actually i'm not kidding u. by the time i retire from my job ( i'm only 25) smith will be selling auto insurance due to his " great playing ability" . the dude blows more than jenna did in the early part of the nineties. get over yourself and your fasanation that this clown is going to emerge as the the next john brodie. i'm sick of the whole " he gone thru 4 oc's and this and that bs. get that f'n douchebag out of here.

the reason i say get rid of a good portion of the d is...why pay guys that give up 300 plus yards a game? i have seen high school sophmores who give better effort than these bums. spencer is coming off a acl and harris will or is 35 yrs old. the best draft pick sf had this season up to date has been a 6th rd pick. thats right...a 6th.

older players being overpaid is your big argument here? ok. i can agree it sounds like a load. but why pay more or continue to run on hopes and dreams if what is currently there driving the team to a 2-9 season? are u going to sit here and tell me this is the best sf has to offer? really?

why not shwartz? who else are the debartolos going to convince to come in and take over a franchise who blew a # 1 pick? or have 1k rushing back not get more than 10 touches per game? this isn't the luxury job it was back in the 80's. i'm sorry. i'll say it how it really is. call steven a smith on me if u want.

Comment

• the reason i say get rid of a good portion of the d is...why pay guys that give up 300 plus yards a game?
                          Who do you plan to replace them with? Some of the guys you want to release have roles to play as mentors to their successors.

the best draft pick sf had this season up to date has been a 6th rd pick. thats right...a 6th.
                          It is way too early to evaluate this class. We took a number of players that we're sitting to develop.

or have 1k rushing back not get more than 10 touches per game?
                          If you're referring to how Gore's being used this season, he's average over 20 touches.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
                            the best draft pick sf had this season up to date has been a 6th rd pick. thats right...a 6th.
                            Patrick Willis was actually a first round pick believe it or not.

Dan getting Dansby and Suggs will do nothing. Dansby is already being underutilized playing 3-4 ILB when he is a way better 4-3 SAM. Suggs is not the answer to the pass rush problems signing these two will just put us in cap hell.

Comment

• i think suggs would be a great signing personally, i agree with dan on that and i have for a long time

also, this must only be me, but i actually like martz as the OC. he isn't calling for 35 step drops anymore and we are producing on offense, better than we have in the past, especially with leading the league in plays of 20+ yards. i think we are set at receiver for the next couple of years, we should get another tackle although i am a proponent of signing a RT instead of drafting one, we need to get reggie smith some playing time because i am going to be pissed if he doesn't pan out as a pick, we need to draft Safeties or sign one and draft one, but our safety play is absolutely terrible.

options for the offseason-

sign:
                              RT (could either be Jordan Gross/Marc Colombo, i like Gross more though)
                              OLB (Terrell Suggs)
                              ILB (if we Spikes doesn't stay, Bart Scott although i don't see the Ravens letting him go)
                              CB (Nnamdi Asomugha/Dunta Robinson, depending on whether Reggie Smith stays at corner or if we draft another CB)

draft:
                              1st round:
                              Malcolm Jenkins-my favorite corner in the nation, lockdown, and would be good if we move Reggie Smith to Safety or if we don't sign one
                              Michael Oher/Eugene Monroe/Andre Smith-would give us two great young tackles, not the option i wish for however
                              Michael Crabtree/Jeremy Maclin-would give our offense playmakers however i think we have good young receiver yet i wouldn't complain if we drafted either of these guys
                              Brian Orakpo-great pick if we don't sign Suggs, would add a passrusher we haven't had in years
                              William Moore/Taylor Mays-my favorite Safeties in the nation, could replace either of our crappy starters, but would most likely only be the pick if we won the next couple of games and got a later pick

2nd round:
                              Clint Sintim/Brian Cushing/George Selvie:first two aregreat OLBs in the 3-4 and have previous experience playing in it, Selvie definitely has the ability to switch to OLB and be a punishing rusher
                              Patrick Chung/Michael Hamlin:both great safeties that, once again, could replace either of our crappy starters
                              Fili Moala/Terrence Taylor/Ricky Jean Francois/BJ Raji:are all big men that could potentially solve our perennial problem of not having a dominant NT

3rd round:
                              Clay Matthews/Anthony Felder: OLBs that could play full-time opposite of Lawson
                              Aaron Kelly/Brian Robiskie/Quan Cosby: all solid receivers with no huge gaps in their game, would add to our young core

a QB will probably be taken anywhere but there are so many that i left them out

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123
                                no, actually i'm not kidding u. by the time i retire from my job ( i'm only 25) smith will be selling auto insurance due to his " great playing ability" . the dude blows more than jenna did in the early part of the nineties. get over yourself and your fasanation that this clown is going to emerge as the the next john brodie. i'm sick of the whole " he gone thru 4 oc's and this and that bs. get that f'n douchebag out of here.

the reason i say get rid of a good portion of the d is...why pay guys that give up 300 plus yards a game? i have seen high school sophmores who give better effort than these bums. spencer is coming off a acl and harris will or is 35 yrs old. the best draft pick sf had this season up to date has been a 6th rd pick. thats right...a 6th.

older players being overpaid is your big argument here? ok. i can agree it sounds like a load. but why pay more or continue to run on hopes and dreams if what is currently there driving the team to a 2-9 season? are u going to sit here and tell me this is the best sf has to offer? really?

why not shwartz? who else are the debartolos going to convince to come in and take over a franchise who blew a # 1 pick? or have 1k rushing back not get more than 10 touches per game? this isn't the luxury job it was back in the 80's. i'm sorry. i'll say it how it really is. call steven a smith on me if u want.
                                Everyone here knows that im not an Alex Smith fan and never wanted him back in 2005 but im not stupid. A lot of money, time and effort has been invested in him and at only 25 years old, no way would I release him outright. Shaun Hill would be the only QB on the roster and im sorry, I wouldnt waste a draft pick on another QB when he's only going to take years to develop as well as a lot of money. Smith played horrible as a rookie but played well in 2006 and showed huge improvement. He played back in 2007 but that had to do more with Nolan screwing up his arm/shoulder than it did the OC.

Defensively, the reason why we're bad is because is offense is worse. There's no consistency offensively which in turn, kills our defense because they're on the field the majority of the time. Add in the fact that we dont have a pure NT to run the 3-4, no pass rush which leaves our secondary out to dry and a DC who I dont think is any good and that all adds up to why our defense is horrible.

Here's the number one FA rule - dont OVERPAY any player 30 or older and the reason why is simple - you're paying a player who's already past his prime and will eventually wear down to where he's not worth even bringing in for a tryout. Suggs and Dansby are in their prime and will provide what we dont have - an instant pass rush. Add in a new DC (im hoping for Rob Ryan) who knows how to use his best DE and LB core, and we should have a much better defense.

Schwartz??? We're going to hire another cheap DC to become our next HC and for what reason? To save money? Please. We need an ex-HC who knows what he's done and hopefully, has experience with developing QB's. Another reason is that unlike another coordinator, an ex-HC will have experience with being the HC and will relate to the players far better than any coordinator. The only thing is hiring the right ex-HC to be our next head coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information