This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
    I think a short yardage guy is more important. Rossum is supposed to be re-signing and if so, that would eliminate the need for a guy like Sproles.
    I think we need a short-yardage back too but are there any available in FA? Maybe TJ Duckett or something.

I like Rossum too but he's been injury prone this year and he will turn 33 in the middle of next season. Sproles will be 26 and he has fresh legs. In 4 seasons hes only had 132 touches so he's still got a lot of football left in him. But we'll see anyways i guess.

Comment

• Wouldnt mind Sproles at all. He's good but doeant have the chance to show it since he's behind Tomlinson. Would rather have him returning punts too. Sproles has 3 kick/punt return TD's in three years where as Rossum has 8 in over a decade.

Plus, Sproles can replace Foster who I dont really care for. And if only Robinson can be let go in favor of Clayton, I would be even happier.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        Wouldnt mind Sproles at all. He's good but doeant have the chance to show it since he's behind Tomlinson. Would rather have him returning punts too. Sproles has 3 kick/punt return TD's in three years where as Rossum has 8 in over a decade.

Plus, Sproles can replace Foster who I dont really care for. And if only Robinson can be let go in favor of Clayton, I would be even happier.
        I think Robinson is gonna be a 49er for a very long time. Sproles would be a great pick up for us. He's so explosive.

Comment

• With the interest in coaching of Marshall Faulk, how would you guys feel if we brought him in as a RB's coach as long as Martz is around. I know most of you say he'll be gone but I think it would only help if Marshall Faulk was there to mentor Gore and Co. with Martz as the OC.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
            With the interest in coaching of Marshall Faulk, how would you guys feel if we brought him in as a RB's coach as long as Martz is around. I know most of you say he'll be gone but I think it would only help if Marshall Faulk was there to mentor Gore and Co. with Martz as the OC.
            I dont think he'd make a huge difference. He's basically been buddy-buddy with Gore since Martz was hired.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• If Faulk gets any job it would be runningback coach for the Rams.
              Originally posted by 49erNation85
              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
                I would be shocked if Manusky didnt come back at DC next year. That is why I am thinking in terms of a 3-4, like he runs. And if you have noticed, in the past 5 games or so, we haven't allowed more than 17 points. I would think that he's doing something right.
                Very good point. We're also beginning to drop the 'hybrid' that Nolan was pushing which helps too. :)

Comment

• as for the signing of chris gamble i believe that he signed an extension earlier in the season.
                  “Every play, every down, every series, every meeting — like it’s your last.” Jerry Kramer

Comment

• Originally posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
                    Very good point. We're also beginning to drop the 'hybrid' that Nolan was pushing which helps too. :)
                    No we aren't we have actually been running a hybrid that's why it's been working.
                    Originally posted by 49erNation85
                    I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• The more i think about it, the more i think our 1st round pick (likely to be around 10ish) is going to go on defense.

Our biggest needs on offense are RT and WR. I have a hard time believing we will pay top 10 pick money to a RT. It's possible if one of the top 3 falls, but i imagine the FO will be content with Staley's play at LT as he has improved each and every game and is starting to show why we made that trade. I think we'll sign a mid-level FA (Stinchomb from the Saints, Carey from the Dolphins) or address it in the 2nd-3rd round. WR, i don't think we'll even look there unless Crabtree falls.

On defense though...we lack a NT for the 3-4. Even if we run a 4-3, our interior rush is pretty bad..QB's too often have a clean pocket to step up into. Raji makes the most sense here. We could still use an extra DE/OLB pass rusher. Okrapo/Brown make sense here, although Okrapo is probably a near lock to not make it to our pick. And Mark Roman/Dashon Goldson have been the worst FS combo in the league. Malcom Jenkins would be a smart pick. Maybe Taylor Mays as well. But i think Jenkins will easily be gone before our pick.

So yeah, at this incredibly early point in time...i think based on need and who will be available, Raji has the best shot at being our pick. But id prefer Crabtree/Jenkins if available. I've already given up hope though that Crabtree falls. I'm hoping Malcolm Jenkins is available, although i think B.J. Raji wouldn't be a bad consolation prize either.
                      Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 12-28-2008, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                        The more i think about it, the more i think our 1st round pick (likely to be around 10ish) is going to go on defense...And Mark Roman/Dashon Goldson have been the worst FS combo in the league.
                        I've been thinking the same thing myself. There is plenty of 2nd round OT talent and Mays would surely be a huge improvement to the secondary.

O-line is a huge need, but given the players available and the situation we will be in, the more I look at it, I think we will be drafting defense first.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                          The more i think about it, the more i think our 1st round pick (likely to be around 10ish) is going to go on defense.

Our biggest needs on offense are RT and WR. I have a hard time believing we will pay top 10 pick money to a RT. It's possible if one of the top 3 falls, but i imagine the FO will be content with Staley's play at LT as he has improved each and every game and is starting to show why we made that trade. I think we'll sign a mid-level FA (Stinchomb from the Saints, Carey from the Dolphins) or address it in the 2nd-3rd round. WR, i don't think we'll even look there unless Crabtree falls.

On defense though...we lack a NT for the 3-4. Even if we run a 4-3, our interior rush is pretty bad..QB's too often have a clean pocket to step up into. Raji makes the most sense here. We could still use an extra DE/OLB pass rusher. Okrapo/Brown make sense here, although Okrapo is probably a near lock to not make it to our pick. And Mark Roman/Dashon Goldson have been the worst FS combo in the league. Malcom Jenkins would be a smart pick. Maybe Taylor Mays as well. But i think Jenkins will easily be gone before our pick.

So yeah, at this incredibly early point in time...i think based on need and who will be available, Raji has the best shot at being our pick. But id prefer Crabtree/Jenkins if available. I've already given up hope though that Crabtree falls. I'm hoping Malcolm Jenkins is available, although i think B.J. Raji wouldn't be a bad consolation prize either.
                          I really disagree with WR being a first day need. Jason Hill has looked great this year and so has Morgan when he's been on the field. I dont think the injuries to Morgan are anything to worry about every rookie WR gets hurt because their bodies arent used to the amount of running they do. Not to mention that Johnson is finally coming around and he's young.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Johnson may want too much money to stick around. I'd rather add another young WR with upside through the draft that can have a year of tutelage under Isaac Bruce next year before he retires. We'd then have a strong core of young WRs for years to come.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• WR wise, Morgan has shown that he has big play potential. All he needs is more time and experience. Hill has played well and Jonson has played better with Hill than he was with Sullivan. Personally, I re-sign Johnson and keep Bruce for another year.

Here's a WR to watch - Rams Torry Holt. He has one year left on his contract and has a huge cap number with them for 2009. I wouldnt be surprised to see STL release him in February. If that happens I would definitely try to sign him.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                                Here's a WR to watch - Rams Torry Holt. He has one year left on his contract and has a huge cap number with them for 2009. I wouldnt be surprised to see STL release him in February. If that happens I would definitely try to sign him.
                                Ummmmm.....NO!

Why would this make sense for the Niners, especially when Martz is likely gone? Holt is a great receiver, but bringing him in to pair with Bruce would only take valuable snaps away from the Niners young receivers. Holt & Bruce weren't getting it done on a championship level for the Rams the last several years, so there's no reason to bring in more pieces from the "over the hill" greatest show on turf team.

Besides, the Niners don't even play on turf!

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                                Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information