This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
    Chemistry takes time. Smith has had that time to work with possession receiver Morgan, now he's developing it with home run receiver Crabtree.

See what good team-building things happen when you have the same OC for 2 consecutive yrs?

Most of the preseason NFL mags have the 9ers taking the division, arrow up for the 49ers, arrow down for the Warnerless Cardinals, just thought I'd mention it.

Comment

• They need to get rid of Carr. Every time I hear about a problem with the QBs, its because Carr is getting more snaps. ****

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
        They need to get rid of Carr. Every time I hear about a problem with the QBs, its because Carr is getting more snaps. ****
        Apparently Carr has actually looked really good. I'm pretty happy he's the backup.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
          Apparently Carr has actually looked really good. I'm pretty happy he's the backup.
          just cause he played at fresno state doesnt mean he has to be a niner. Give Jarrent Brown some love, we know what captain checkdown can do, lets see what JB can do
          The new and MUCH improved Green Bay Scat

I Bleed Black and Gold

Comment

• Carr's skill set makes him one of the better back up QBs in the league. He just has to get acquainted with Jimmy Raye's offense.

If Alex went down, Carr would have to be a system QB, with the Niners run game becoming even more important in order for them to win games. He's not going to win every game with his arm, but he's not a complete liability on the field by any means.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
              Carr's skill set makes him one of the better back up QBs in the league. He just has to get acquainted with Jimmy Raye's offense.

If Alex went down, Carr would have to be a system QB, with the Niners run game becoming even more important in order for them to win games. He's not going to win every game with his arm, but he's not a complete liability on the field by any means.
              i know lol, i just really like Jarrett Brown.... no **** lol
              The new and MUCH improved Green Bay Scat

I Bleed Black and Gold

Comment

• Originally posted by VUBlacknGold View Post
                I'd rather take my chances with Brown than Carr. On another note I'm glad Brown is wearing number 3. Love that number.
                Last edited by Ness; 06-20-2010, 01:42 AM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                Originally posted by Borat
                Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by VUBlacknGold View Post
                  He'll be in the CFL soon and you can follow him there.

Comment

• Taylor Mays is being tested in early OTAs, got 2 INTs from overthrown passes this wk. From the MercuryNews Friday:

Rookie safety Taylor Mays was a standout in practice with two interceptions. On the first, he leaped over intended receiver Tony Curtis to snare a slightly overthrown pass from Nate Davis. On the second, tight end Delanie Walker juggled a short pass from David Carr and Mays swooped in before the ball hit the ground. Mays caught the ball in stride.

Freshly arrived linebacker Manny Lawson also intercepted a pass from Nate Davis. Davis tried to squeeze a short pass over the middle but forced it into traffic, where Lawson eagerly awaited.

Lawson helped his case for a contract extension with that INT. He had his best ever season last yr. with 6.5 sacks, 4th in the NFC, & is said to be poised to break out this yr, that's his contract yr. where he's slated to make $650,000, I think he wants he enter the millionaire NFL players club:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_153225...nclick_check=1

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                      Lawson helped his case for a contract extension with that INT. He had his best ever season last yr. with 6.5 sacks, 4th in the NFC, [/url]
                      I agree that Lawson could truly shine this season. Unfortunately he needs to. He, along with a more experienced Brooks and a healthy Haralason are actually a pretty excellent trio.

My question is the "4th in the NFC" remark. That statistic is misleading. He did have the 4th highest sack total of all NFC OLB's but there were only THREE NFC team's running a 3-4 scheme last season. If you take into account DE's, Lawson ranked tied for 32nd in the NFL and tied for 14th in the NFC.

My personal belief is, with more consistent coverage from the defensive backfield, healthy versions of Justin Smith, Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, and Ahmad Brooks could all achieve double-digit sack numbers.

Comment

• Manny Lawson hasn't done anything to deserve a contract extension. I'd be surprised if he ever became a good outside linebacker in a 3-4.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                        Originally posted by Borat
                        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                          Manny Lawson hasn't done anything to deserve a contract extension. I'd be surprised if he ever became a good outside linebacker in a 3-4.
                          Well, he's certainly a better all around OLB than Haralson.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                            Well, he's certainly a better all around OLB than Haralson.
                            Uh, disagree.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• If Haralson is worth over $10m for the next four seasons, Lawson is easily worth more than that. Lawson was injured for almost an entire season and misused for two other seasons so in a way, its as if 2009 was his rookie season.

Lawson will be 26 in July and in my opinion should be extended because he knows the system, can play the run and cover as well. The sack numbers are disappointing but when you're in coverage all the damn time, cant be expected to get sacks.

Lawson is one of my favorite players and while I have Davis and Goldson ahead of him in regards to being extended, he's third on my list after them two. Everyone thinks that Brooks will be great or something just because he had one or two great games. Big deal. Anyone ever think that the reason he did good in those games was because he was fresh coming off the bench against a tired OL?

Basically, Brooks had two good games in his career and yet, some here want to replace Lawson with him despite the fact that while Lawson may never be a dominant pass rusher, he's a damn good overall OLB in our 3-4 defense. Not only that, but letting him leave and hoping that Brooks can replace him in 2011 or drafting an OLB in the first round would be a huge mistake especially when Lawson is our best OLB and that our first rounder next year would be better used on a position (CB) thats far more important in my opinion then to use it on a player just to replace another player who shouldnt be replaced to begin with.

Lawson is part of our young defensive core and letting him (and/or Goldson leave) would be setbacks for our defense regardless of what anyone says. We're finally getting close to an overall complete team and I for one, dont see the point in screwing it up especially when we're talking about players who are in their mid 20's and just hitting their prime.

Comment

• And on a related side note -

I think that the reason why some here prefer to see Lawson leave is because he was drafted to replace Peterson and since he hasnt done that, everyone thinks that he's not worth keeping. While you could always get another established OLB to replace him, there's always a chance you get a player who's far worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information