This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by binary View Post
    It also would mean no more of Michael Lewis' non-covering arse.
    Interesting to see they've been using Lewis as a LB in 4-6 formations during OTA's and minicamp.

Comment

Yeah but if Lawson has a breakout year and shows that he can rush the passer, then you have to resign him over Goldson. OLB > FS.

The argument for Goldson being a FS has been discussed at length at this board. Basically, our biggest weakness is coverage in the secondary; run support really isn't a big issue. By moving Goldson to SS and bringing in a coverage FS, you increase the effectiveness of the coverage by a substantial margin... (which is why our FO had such a hard-on for Nate Allen). It also would mean no more of Michael Lewis' non-covering arse. Of course, all this was before we drafted Taylor Mays.
      Im sorry but a young stud at FS is more important than a 3-4 OLB. Its very hard to find a young secondary talent in this league. If Goldson improves the way I think he will, there's no way we let him walk. Our secondary is set up for the safties to be the playmakers, ala Baltimore. You let a young guy with the talent like Goldson walk and this defense will suffer trying to replace him. I understand we have Mays but a tandem of Mays and Goldson is far better than Mays and whoever else we have or are thinking of getting. I mean the writing's on the wall as far as Lawson.....he will be gone, no matter what. Remember Alex Smith is in his last year of his deal too....its just doesn't look good for Lawson. It is what it is.

Our biggest weakness in the secondary was/is blown coverages and lack of speed and athleticism from SS. The long ball really wasn't the problem last year. Sure we gave up some long pass-plays but ALL defenses give up some. We didn't get torched repeatedly for plays downfield, it was mainly the short-intermediate pass plays on 3rd downs were where we struggled. Alot of that were some growing pains from a young FS in first year as a full-time starter, but also alot of it came from teams exploiting Michael Lewis and Mark Roman(Lewis's replacement in nickel packages)side of the field, with their lack of closing speed, ball skills and zone awareness. Goldson has excellent range at FS, I can't stress that enough. The biggest mis-conception is that your FS should be able to cover WRs one-on-one, in man coverage. That's just not true. Any WR worth a damn would have no problem seperating from a FS in man coverage. Hell, its even some CBs who don't even excell in man coverage so why would you expect your safety to? If your safety could cover WRs, then he would be a DB.....there's a reason that they are 'safties'. If a defense is in man coverage, your safties are either resposbile for the RB or the TE.....thats it. You may see a WR enter a safety's zone, then he's responsible for that WR until he flashes out of that zone but that isn't the same as 'true' man coverage. A good FS reads and reacts quickly to the QBs drop and diagnosis route combinations and personel groupings in his area. You never once saw Darren Sharper in press coverage on a WR last year. Go back and look at how he got all those ints last year and I bet he was doing excatly what I was describing. He doesn't posses the ability to cover WRs.....and he never has. Same with Ed Reed, these guys make a living diagnosing a offense's tendencies, reading reacting to formations, reading the QB and breaking on the ball......and NEVER letting the ball get behind them deep. Besides, Manusky rarely uses man coverage across the board anyways. We play alot of Cover 2 looks, quarters, and some man-zone with an occasional zone-blitz. Goldson is fine where he is. You think its a reason we chose a guy more suited to play early on as a SS in Mays instead of going for a ball-hawk type of FS? Because the brass feels we already havd the ball-hawk. With Mays and Goldson, Manusky FINALLY has what he's been looking for. Two guys with the ability to play deep centerfield while also coming up near the box, supporting the run and laying the wood. Goldson isn't going anywhere.

Comment

Goldson and Lawson are just gonna depend on this year. If both of them play great, it's bye bye Goldson though. I'm hoping Manny plays great and we keep him; kind of indifferent about Goldson....both have to show improvement.
        I know he had some not so great games but how do you improve on 94 tackles and 7 turnovers? The only guy I see that is a questionable resign is if Lawson continues to NOT dominate.

I dunno if you forgot about how a safety is supposed to play due to all the years of mediocrity at the position that we suffered but THIS IS IT!
        Last edited by YAYareaRB; 06-28-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
          Im sorry but a young stud at FS is more important than a 3-4 OLB. Its very hard to find a young secondary talent in this league.
          I'm sorry but if you read my post again, you're wrong. Assuming both play great, you place more value on an OLB in the 3-4. A young stud OLB > young stud FS. Assuming both play like "studs", you keep the OLB.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
            I know he had some not so great games but how do you improve on 94 tackles and 7 turnovers?
            By playing good on a consistent basis as opposed to a few games. I'm not big on using tackles as a stat to convey the effectiveness of a player either. Before the Arizona game, he was seen as a very inconsistent player that would give up big plays and miss key tackles quite often....then the hype began. He needs to improve.

Comment

I'm sorry but if you read my post again, you're wrong. Assuming both play great, you place more value on an OLB in the 3-4. A young stud OLB > young stud FS. Assuming both play like "studs", you keep the OLB.
              No.. you resign them both

Comment

By playing good on a consistent basis as opposed to a few games. I'm not big on using tackles as a stat to convey the effectiveness of a player either. Before the Arizona game, he was seen as a very inconsistent player that would give up big plays and miss key tackles quite often....then the hype began. He needs to improve.
                what about Lawson? he hasn't been anything special since he's gotten here.. the way he's going, we're in for another solid (not great) season from Manny.

I'm not saying Goldson is perfect because no player is. But at this point, he has more value than Lawson due to the depth at each position. We won't die with losing Lawson but there are no ball hawkin safeties after Goldson

Comment

what about Lawson? he hasn't been anything special since he's gotten here.. the way he's going, we're in for another solid (not great) season from Manny.
                  What about him? He needs to improve too. He needs to improve more than Goldson IMO.

I'm really anxious to see Reggie Smith. If he plays great, he really gives the team some good options.

Comment

What about him? He needs to improve too. He needs to improve more than Goldson IMO.

I'm really anxious to see Reggie Smith. If he plays great, he really gives the team some good options.
                    I was REALLY excited about Reggie Smith. But he just hasn't come on. He's kinda small and has a injury history. NEVER a good combination but I can't deny that the guy can flat out play. If he can beat out Goldson.. I'm all for him. If he can't we should definitely keep Goldson.

Comment

I think Goldson has done enough to solidify his spot. He's our starting FS in week one. I'd be really shocked if hes not.
                      I think Yay's right, the safeties will be Goldson & Mays. Whether Mays screws the pooch or not, any marquee name player drafted that highly has got to get his shot on the field. It will be drinking from the fire hose, but he said this is what he wanted, to be a starting NFL safety, & it's sink or swim as a rookie SS with this team.

As for Manny Lawson, it's the contract yr, he wants more millionaire $, he will get his chance to earn it. The incentives are there in the Nolan/Singletary rebuilt 2010 SF 49ers, let's see him execute against NFL-quality offenses. And he stepped it up last season, I remember his name called a lot more than before when he was playing & saw him get up from the bottom of a lot of people piles, so he can play like a top pick, now's the time to do it.

Comment

I was REALLY excited about Reggie Smith. But he just hasn't come on. He's kinda small and has a injury history. NEVER a good combination but I can't deny that the guy can flat out play. If he can beat out Goldson.. I'm all for him. If he can't we should definitely keep Goldson.
                        he's the same size as Goldson

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Everyone knows that im a fan of Lawson but if I had to choose between him and Goldson, I would pick Goldson because I would have more confidence in Brooks replacing Lawson than I would have in Smith/Taylor replacing Goldson.

Of course, as everyone here knows, I would extend both and Davis. Then, just wait until after the season before making a decision on Smith. As for others like Hill, McDonald, etc. all are 50/50 because they're second tier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                            he's the same size as Goldson
                            not exactly. Goldson just looks THICKER in pads.

Comment

• if Lawson wants big money, let his underachieving ass go.

RIP ST

Comment

not exactly. Goldson just looks THICKER in pads.
                                If anything Smith is thicker. Smith is 1 inch shorter and the same weight. Before last season, Goldson had quite an extensive injury history as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information