Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But Smith and Goldson have had equal opportunities to show what they can bring to the table. Obviously the coaches (who know more than us) think Goldson is the better player.

Goldson has had an injury history, but it hasn't held him back from taking the starting spot in stride.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
      not exactly. Goldson just looks THICKER in pads.
      the niners website says they are both 6'1" 200. just sayin'.

by the way, you could argue that Goldson is injury prone as well.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

But Smith and Goldson have had equal opportunities to show what they can bring to the table.
        Not really, at all. Goldson has been in the league for one more year, and last year was his first year starting.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
          Not really, at all. Goldson has been in the league for one more year, and last year was his first year starting.
          So you don't think Smith is getting equal opportunities to show up Goldson and take the starting job?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
            the niners website says they are both 6'1" 200. just sayin'.

by the way, you could argue that Goldson is injury prone as well.
            I was looking at different websites. I think Goldson might be an inch taller but then that would contradict what I said saying he looks thicker.. but he really does, to me at least.

But OK both have an injury history (I hate saying injury prone lol) but Goldson's history obviously isn't bothering him as much as it does Reggie since Reggie is more than capable of being a starting FS in the league.

Comment

So you don't think Smith is getting equal opportunities to show up Goldson and take the starting job?
              I have no idea if he's currently getting equal opportunities, TC hasn't even started yet. You said that he HAS HAD equal opportunities...and the fact is no, he has not, not even close.

Comment

I have no idea if he's currently getting equal opportunities, TC hasn't even started yet. You said that he HAS HAD equal opportunities...and the fact is no, he has not, not even close.
                So for the past two years.. Reggie Smith and Dashon Goldson haven't had equal opportunities. In all the weeks of practices and the two previous off seasons?

I don't even think i wanna get into this but **** it I'm bored

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post

I don't think it's comical at all. Goldson's best asset is his tackling ability and his physical prowess (which isn't elite, but it's decent). But his range? I don't think so. He's not going to be able to keep up pace with wide receivers one on one and play the field deep and make a big play like an Ed Reed or Darren Sharper. I think the only deep play he had last year was an interception against Seneca Wallace which was more of a tipped pass from another 49ers defender. And he blew a good amount of coverages last season. I'm just not convinced yet. We shall see this upcoming season. I think Goldson has the intensity to play more of a strong safety role, just like Bob Sanders has.
                  I dont think you have seen his interception against Kurt Warner on MNF. Its actually someone's avatar.

Dont forget Goldson wears the green dot, that means he is the one calling audibles on the field, he is a leader for the defense which makes him that much more important.

Comment

So for the past two years.. Reggie Smith and Dashon Goldson haven't had equal opportunities. In all the weeks of practices and the two previous off seasons?

I don't even think i wanna get into this but **** it I'm bored
                    How many more times are you going to refine your original statement? The fact of the matter is Goldson has had one more year to learn the Safety position, and became a starter just last year. Reggie Smith has had two years, and was injured for a large part of that period...do we even need to bring up how Reggie Smith was inexplicably tried out as a CB for a great portion of the Nolan year as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goon61 View Post
                      I dont think you have seen his interception against Kurt Warner on MNF. Its actually someone's avatar.

Dont forget Goldson wears the green dot, that means he is the one calling audibles on the field, he is a leader for the defense which makes him that much more important.
                      Ehhhh...it was twenty yards down the field. I've seen it, just didn't really pop out to me as a really deep pick. I guess once you've seen things done by Ed Reed and Darren Sharper your expectations are a little higher. I know I'm being nit-picky...an interception is an interception, but let's not jump the gun on Goldson. He really may have had just a fluke year.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                      Originally posted by Borat
                      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

How many more times are you going to refine your original statement? The fact of the matter is Goldson has had one more year to learn the Safety position, and became a starter just last year. Reggie Smith has had two years, and was injured for a large part of that period...do we even need to bring up how Reggie Smith was inexplicably tried out as a CB for a great portion of the Nolan year as well?
                        Don't do it.. I'm still trying to prove my original statement.

As far as I'm concerned, they've had equal opportunities. Probably not the same time allowed to prove themselves but they've had equal opportunities to win the job. It took Goldson two seasons before he won it over Mark Roman. Reggie Smith has two years under his belt vying for the FS spot.

I don't wanna sound like I'm hating on Reggie but I'm more like praising what we got starting. Goldson did some big thangs last season. He earned his spot and earned the right to go into this season as the starter.

I would love to Reggie Smith starting SOMEWHERE. He's a firecracker of a player. I loved him ever since we got him because of that hit he laid on a missouri WR. Would he be more successful than or just as Goldson, only time will tell.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, they've had equal opportunities. Probably not the same time allowed to prove themselves but they've had equal opportunities to win the job. It took Goldson two seasons before he won it over Mark Roman. Reggie Smith has two years under his belt vying for the FS spot.
                          Ok, as far as you're concerned, you're right.

Comment

Ok, as far as you're concerned, you're right.
                            Pretty much.

Comment

Don't do it.. I'm still trying to prove my original statement.

I don't wanna sound like I'm hating on Reggie but I'm more like praising what we got starting. Goldson did some big thangs last season. He earned his spot and earned the right to go into this season as the starter.

I would love to Reggie Smith starting SOMEWHERE. He's a firecracker of a player. I loved him ever since we got him because of that hit he laid on a missouri WR. Would he be more successful than or just as Goldson, only time will tell.
                              In a perfect world, Reggie Smith or Curtis Taylor is your starting SS at some point this season. I say Smith because he's been in this defense for 3 years and Manusky has stated it generally takes a player 3 years to learn this defense. Plus he's also taken reps at SS before, though Taylor has been the more impressive player at the recent OTAs. Our future at SS spot wont look good if M. Lewis is still our starting SS heading into the later part of the season. Either R. Smith, C. Taylor, or T. Mays must assert themselves at some point this season to make M. Lewis expendable. He has the knowledge and the experience, but physically he isn't the guy you want to mirror Goldson. My hope is that Goldson and Mays are your FS and SS heading into 2011 with Smith and Taylor as your back-ups. Mays may not have the experience of Smith or Taylor at this point but Im hoping he'll have enough to leap-frog both and man the starting spot opposite Goldson next year. That's a dream sceneiro at this point. More than likely Mays still needs another year before he's ready to start.

Comment

• Anyone catch the madden ratings? I'm happy with 'em.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information