Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Troy still has a long way to go before winning me over, especially as a QBOTF for the Niners. He did some good things in the game, but he didn't dominate against a below average team riddled with injuries and aging players.


    #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


    "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
      i was excited when i saw Shefter tweet this. i haven't really seen it anywhere else. i think that this is an excellent move. this will end the merriman talk as well as everyone who was mad hat briggs got away.

      Baalke is really making some good moves along with a good draft. now if only we can get a competent coaching staff in here...
      Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
      I really think Baalke has done a good job so far and is worth keeping around after this season is over, unless a proven team-building guru is available.
      Isnt Baalke also our salary cap guru guy? If so, no way would I let him go. Besides, he's not even realy the GM. He has the title but its all Singletary.

      Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
      He was drafted in 2007. He's in his fourth season. He was going to start for the Ravens then got a crazy lung infection where he lost twenty some pounds. That forced the Ravens to start their rookie Flacco.

      Flacco has been pretty good. That is not damning of Troy.

      Also, Troy is only 26 years old. That's hardly ancient.

      I hope he works out for your team. I doubt if he wows you very often, but he should be a lot better than Alex Freaking Smith.

      As an OSU fan, I'm starting to pull for you as my secondary NFL team (Browns #1). You have a bunch of Buckeyes (Smith, Ginn, Clements, Boone, Gibson) so that makes it easy.
      Oops........I was off by a year or two. Oh well. Yeah, I remember reading about what happened with him two years ago and Flacco being the starter.

      And I hope he DOESNT work out for my team because if he does, I already know whats going to happen. He'll do good enough to save Singletary and company, our draft pick will blow chunks and we'll be favored and all hyped up next season only to be letdown yet again.

      The coaching staff needs to be sent packing except the two OL coaches starting with Singletary and then, a few players too. Then, Jon Gruden can come in and actually have us score 30+ points a game instead of 30+ points once every four or so games.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
        I don't see that happening. He might be slightly better but Alex has been decent so Troy would have to be great to be a lot better.
        Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
        Troy still has a long way to go before winning me over, especially as a QBOTF for the Niners. He did some good things in the game, but he didn't dominate against a below average team riddled with injuries and aging players.
        I dont even think Troy is better than Alex. The only difference between the two is that Singletary seems to be intent on riding Troy where as with Alex, I dont think that he ever wanted him to do good because if he did, he would let Alex run the offense instead of himself but thats just me.

        Jake Locker will hopefully be our future QB but I wouldnt be surprised if Troy does good enough to where we are all having this exact same conversation in a year from now.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
          I dont even think Troy is better than Alex. The only difference between the two is that Singletary seems to be intent on riding Troy where as with Alex, I dont think that he ever wanted him to do good because if he did, he would let Alex run the offense instead of himself but thats just me.

          Jake Locker will hopefully be our future QB but I wouldnt be surprised if Troy does good enough to where we are all having this exact same conversation in a year from now.
          I agree 100% with this post. I always felt like that Singletary really did not want Alex to take over the offense but I feel like he wouldn't stop Troy from doing it. It is a real shame, too, because whenever Alex does take over the offense great things happen

          Comment


          • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
            I dont even think Troy is better than Alex. The only difference between the two is that Singletary seems to be intent on riding Troy where as with Alex, I dont think that he ever wanted him to do good because if he did, he would let Alex run the offense instead of himself but thats just me.

            Jake Locker will hopefully be our future QB but I wouldnt be surprised if Troy does good enough to where we are all having this exact same conversation in a year from now.
            Do you still fill that we should draft locker after this season ? He hasn't show much improvement even though UW has a crappy but still shows to win games and what not ? I still fill if Mallet would be a better QB for us and take him instead . I think he is a much more of a QB and tougher maybe maybe not , but his stock is rising too with big wins this year in the sec !

            Comment


            • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
              I agree 100% with this post. I always felt like that Singletary really did not want Alex to take over the offense but I feel like he wouldn't stop Troy from doing it. It is a real shame, too, because whenever Alex does take over the offense great things happen
              When I think back to the Eagles game and after Smith fumbled the ball, he came back with two TD passes and the last INT wasnt his fault. You seriously have to wonder how Alex would do with a coaching staff that knew what they were doing.

              Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
              Do you still fill that we should draft locker after this season ? He hasn't show much improvement even though UW has a crappy but still shows to win games and what not ? I still fill if Mallet would be a better QB for us and take him instead . I think he is a much more of a QB and tougher maybe maybe not , but his stock is rising too with big wins this year in the sec !
              Locker is coming out as a senior and plays in a pro style offense from what I have read. He's on a crappy team so him doing good to great shouldnt be expected. While it all depends on what happens with our coaching staff, Troy Smith, etc., im hoping for Locker in the first round to replace McNabb in two or three years under Gruden. Of course, thats just my own personal preference and like all my personal preferences, I know that one isnt going to happen.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                I don't see that happening. He might be slightly better but Alex has been decent so Troy would have to be great to be a lot better.
                Agreed. The only way I see Troy moving the ball is if the running game becomes dominant all of a sudden. If Gore goes for one of those 20 carry 50 yard games, Troy is going to be screwed.

                Comment


                • Dan , I kind hope your right. We haven't had a good QB on the team since Jeff Garcia was here and it has been a long with out a good one to even put us in the play off race . I know Locker has gotten the physical tools and what not .But can he run a stable offense ?I do think Mallet would do us some good if by some reason Locker is off the board depending on where we pick in the draft .

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                    I agree 100% with this post. I always felt like that Singletary really did not want Alex to take over the offense but I feel like he wouldn't stop Troy from doing it. It is a real shame, too, because whenever Alex does take over the offense great things happen
                    Troy played in the same crap Offense Alex played in, and he played really well . For that I give him credit, his numbers were better than anything Alex has put up in the last couple years. Unfortunately, most of it was the result of pure luck, and playing against a really bad football team. Troy gets two pretty easy opponents at home, and then a tough one at Green Bay, we'll see what he's made of for real. Something tells me we're going to be disappointed, so I'm not going to be holding by breath.

                    Comment


                    • to all the alex smith-justin bieber fanboys:

                      straight from espn,

                      Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com has this to say about 49ers quarterback Troy Smith: "What impressed me most about Troy Smith was the feel he demonstrated in the pocket for sidestepping the rush and creating space to get rid of the ball. That is something Alex Smith needs to work on. The 49ers avoided getting sacked in a game for only the second time this season. A quarterback who can make subtle adjustments in the pocket and get rid of the ball on time can make an offensive line look very good."

                      Eric Branch of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat says the 49ers handed off on 29 of their first 42 plays against the Broncos. Branch: "Anyway, Smith, as you know, took advantage of his six fourth-quarter passes, completing five for 110 yards and a touchdown. He finished with a 115.2 quarterback rating, a figure Alex Smith has topped twice In 50 career games, and didn't have a turnover, a feat Alex Smith has managed in six of his past 17 games."

                      Monty Poole of Bay Area News Group says Troy Smith has earned the starting job for the 49ers. Poole: "As much as I've defended Alex over the years, so much about him was exposed Sunday and will linger into this bye week. Though I still believe Alex is the best pure passer on the roster, he has yet to offer anything of substance to suggest he will be a consistent winner. In the end, that's the truest measure of any quarterback. Troy Smith, whose start was the brainchild of coach Mike Singletary's desperation, exhibited at least some of that quality."

                      can we just cut alex now?

                      Comment


                      • Alex is not the next great Niners QB, but he's not useless. I'd rather cut Carr and promote Nate Davis so he can have a chance to develop this season.


                        #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                        Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


                        "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by chapo123 View Post

                          can we just cut alex now?
                          wow talk about over-reaction. I'm really not down for seeing a bunch of David Carr games if Troy Smith blows, so no. If the guy was playing bad under the new OC, I would agree, but he wasn't.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            Isnt Baalke also our salary cap guru guy? If so, no way would I let him go. Besides, he's not even realy the GM. He has the title but its all Singletary.
                            i'm pretty sure Paraag Marathe does the salary cap. Baalke is purely personnel

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                              Troy still has a long way to go before winning me over, especially as a QBOTF for the Niners. He did some good things in the game, but he didn't dominate against a below average team riddled with injuries and aging players.
                              Any quarterback that starts for the 49ers has a long way before they prove themselves. I want at least a season and a half of fairly consistent production at the quarterback spot before I hand over the crown. Doesn't matter if it's Troy Smith, Nate Davis, or some new quarterback.

                              "Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                              Originally posted by Borat
                              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Ness View Post
                                Any quarterback that starts for the 49ers has a long way before they prove themselves. I want at least a season and a half of fairly consistent production at the quarterback spot before I hand over the crown. Doesn't matter if it's Troy Smith, Nate Davis, or some new quarterback.
                                Agreed. But how can any QB "dominate" or be consistently productive in this Offense, we spend 3 quarters trying to "establish the run."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information