This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
    The only thing worse than Alex Smith's performances are the people that keep making excuses for his terrible play, or hold on to the optimism that he'll shine somewhere else. They refuse to look at the likely possibility that he's just not a good quarterback and won't be no matter where he goes. Sad.
    Yeah those people are stupid. The ones who watch games and can see the poor play of the offensive line, the poor play of the wr's, and the questionable play calling. It's absolutely terrible that they wouldn't put all the blame on Alex's shoulders.

They need to pray they grow up one day and think/speak/write intelligently. They should start by calling for a practice squad quarterback to leapfrog everyone on the depth chart and start for over half a regular season after seeing him play in a handful of preseason games.

Or getting on Alex for accuracy issues, but saying Troy Smith is a better quarterback even though he last completed 40% of his passes.

Now that would have common sense written all over it.

We get it, you don't like him. But to put all or most of the blame on him is ignorant. And to assume that everyone here, because they don't want to hang the guy, must have a mancrush on hm is ignorant as well.

Not one person on here has said they believe Alex Smith is the answer here. Not one. Yet you reply to posts as if that's the case. We just aren't playing good football right now. Period.
    Originally posted by Babylon
    It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
      Since the rest of the season is pretty much irrelevant...here's my HC wishlist (in no order)

-Jim Harbaugh
      -Jon Gruden
      -Pat Shurmur
      -Hue Jackson
      -Marty Morningwheg
      -Charlie Weiss
      -Perry Fewell
      -Ron Rivera
      Jon Gruden please!!!!!

I wish Mornhinweg would be brought in with Gruden as the OC but I doubt that his contract expires after this season.

Does anyone have a website or a list of offensive and defensive coordinators who'll have expiring contracts after this season?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
        Dude, you're like the only dude harping on about Alex when referring to this game. Almost everyone else on here has accepted the fact that the entire staff blew it, like they've done numerous times this season. I haven't even heard one analyst criticize Smith, yet every post you've made since the game has focused on him.

I'm tired of focusing on Alex when there is so much more that is wrong with this team right now, and Alex won't even be here next year. Focusing on Alex is like alleviating a runny nose when you have the flu. No one here has ever crowned him or thought he was anything significantly better than average; at this point I want to see Troy start just so that we don't have to talk about this guy anymore, jesus.
        It's because it was terrible. I didn't say the rest of the team wasn't, did I?

But you're right, it doesn't matter. It's time to take the trash out. He won't be here next season and his career will most likely fade into obscurity.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
        Originally posted by Borat
        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
          Yeah those people are stupid. The ones who watch games and can see the poor play of the offensive line, the poor play of the wr's, and the questionable play calling. It's absolutely terrible that they wouldn't put all the blame on Alex's shoulders.

They need to pray they grow up one day and think/speak/write intelligently. They should start by calling for a practice squad quarterback to leapfrog everyone on the depth chart and start for over half a regular season after seeing him play in a handful of preseason games.

Or getting on Alex for accuracy issues, but saying Troy Smith is a better quarterback even though he last completed 40% of his passes.

Now that would have common sense written all over it.

We get it, you don't like him. But to put all or most of the blame on him is ignorant. And to assume that everyone here, because they don't want to hang the guy, must have a mancrush on hm is ignorant as well.

Not one person on here has said they believe Alex Smith is the answer here. Not one. Yet you reply to posts as if that's the case. We just aren't playing good football right now. Period.
          Quarterback is usually the main reason why a team is successful or not in this league. And it's not just limited to offense anymore.

As for Nate Davis, the man could not do any worse. And his position on the practice squad means nothing. Take a look at who is coaching the team. For all we know, he's better than everyone that has been under center this season. You can't blame the coaches for the way the team has played and then glorify their decision to have Nate be on the practice squad. Doesn't make sense.

Troy Smith completing 40% of his passes in one game is irrelevant. Alex has had just as many ****** performances in three years of starting. At least Troy has won more games this season.

All I'm saying is that Alex is terrible. And his terrible play should be acknowledged instead of watered-down into an optimistic attitude.
          Last edited by Ness; 12-19-2010, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• He hasn't been terrible since Raye got fired, though. Nothing is being watered down.
            Last edited by abaddon41_80; 12-19-2010, 07:19 PM.

Comment

You can't blame the coaches for the way the team has played and then glorify their decision to have Nate be on the practice squad. Doesn't make sense.

Troy Smith completing 40% of his passes in one game is irrelevant. Alex has had just as many ****** performances in three years of starting. At least Troy has won more games this season.
              This is the difference Ness. You seem to only be okay placing blame on one party. In your case, you really like to put the blame on Alex. And because I don't, you assume that i'm "blaming the coaches for the way the team has played". No. If you remember, i'm the guy who has not been calling for our staff's head. I place the majority of the blame on execution by players. Does that mean we have a perfect staff? Please.

What that does mean though is that i'm okay blaming everyone involved to at least some degree, for how this season has unfolded.

As far as Troy winning more games this year - again you assign too much credit and too much blame. Alex should not have the losses early in the year hanging from his neck, he was not the reason we lost those games. Just as I believe Troy's wins came from better play of the team, not the quarterback position.

Either way - as you posted a littler bit further up. Not much matters. For me, it is unfortunate that we have to start all over, but at this point it seems to be inevitable. With that said..... Go Chiefs, Go Falcons.

Comment

This is the difference Ness. You seem to only be okay placing blame on one party. In your case, you really like to put the blame on Alex. And because I don't, you assume that i'm "blaming the coaches for the way the team has played". No. If you remember, i'm the guy who has not been calling for our staff's head. I place the majority of the blame on execution by players. Does that mean we have a perfect staff? Please.

What that does mean though is that i'm okay blaming everyone involved to at least some degree, for how this season has unfolded.

As far as Troy winning more games this year - again you assign too much credit and too much blame. Alex should not have the losses early in the year hanging from his neck, he was not the reason we lost those games. Just as I believe Troy's wins came from better play of the team, not the quarterback position.

Either way - as you posted a littler bit further up. Not much matters. For me, it is unfortunate that we have to start all over, but at this point it seems to be inevitable. With that said..... Go Chiefs, Go Falcons.
                The blame should be 50/50. Smith has played bad but the coaching staff is just as bad as he is. Not only that but putting "the dont make any mistakes" mentality in Alex's head since day one hasnt helped matters either. Singletary wanting to play "power ball" and wanting Raye/Johnson to call the game the way he wants it has hurt Smith, the offense and the team overall more than anything because its not working and will never ever work.

Johnson might be good if he's allowed to call the game that he wants to call. It will be interesting to see if he's retained after we hire a new a head coach. I would keep Brown/Solari for the OL (and try to bring back Derrick Deese as an assistant OL coach) but not sure about Manusky because it remains to be seen if we stay with the 3-4 defense.

On a related side note - does anyone know what offensive/defensive coordinators have expiring contracts after this season?

As for Troy Smith, he sucks and is worse than Alex Smith, plain and simple. Carr is even worse than him. Bye bye to both. Personally, if we cant draft Luck/Locker and have to draft a QB late first/early second, im hoping that Nate Davis will be the starter in 2011 because if we're going to sacrifice 2011, mine as well start Davis and see how he does in a full season. Also, looking forward to seeing what a new head coach and staff thinks of Alex, Troy and Nate. That should be interesting.

And go RAMS!!!!! I rather see them win the division instead of the Seahawks and I also want to see the Chargers in the playoffs instead of the Chiefs.

Comment

• Just remembered, with K Joe Nedney on IR, how does everyone feel about re-signing Reed after the season?

I would re-sign him and release Nedney. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                    On a related side note - does anyone know what offensive/defensive coordinators have expiring contracts after this season?

I don't have a list, but I assume your wondering to see who we can bring in for those roles. I don't know of many instances where a guy makes a lateral move - DC to DC or OC to OC.

Usually if you move it's for a promotion.

Example: Why would Morninhweg leave Jackson, Maclin, Vick, McCoy, to do the exact same job with Crabtree, Morgan, (insert QB), and Gore? You know what I mean?

Comment

I don't have a list, but I assume your wondering to see who we can bring in for those roles. I don't know of many instances where a guy makes a lateral move - DC to DC or OC to OC.

Usually if you move it's for a promotion.

Example: Why would Morninhweg leave Jackson, Maclin, Vick, McCoy, to do the exact same job with Crabtree, Morgan, (insert QB), and Gore? You know what I mean?
                      You assume right. LOL.

A lot of coordinators leave one team for another for the same position. Look at Saints DC Gregg Williams. He left WSH for NO. Difference is better team and probably more money.

I think its possible but I dont want Mornhinweg as the head coach though. I would definitely take him as the OC but I dont see him leaving Philly so it doesnt matter.

Here's a thought for an OC - Brad Childress. He was good in Philly as the OC and to me, is one of hose guys who's good as a coodinator but sucks as a head coach. Wouldnt mind a Gruden/Childress west coast offensein SF in 2011.

Defensively, I gotta see if I can find a list online to see who's available.

Comment

You assume right. LOL.

A lot of coordinators leave one team for another for the same position. Look at Saints DC Gregg Williams. He left WSH for NO. Difference is better team and probably more money.

I think its possible but I dont want Mornhinweg as the head coach though. I would definitely take him as the OC but I dont see him leaving Philly so it doesnt matter.

Here's a thought for an OC - Brad Childress. He was good in Philly as the OC and to me, is one of hose guys who's good as a coodinator but sucks as a head coach. Wouldnt mind a Gruden/Childress west coast offensein SF in 2011.

Defensively, I gotta see if I can find a list online to see who's available.
                        We didn't exactly sell ourselves very well this year.

Comment

We didn't exactly sell ourselves very well this year.
                          True but the Saints defense was crappy before Williams went there. Of course, with us hopefully having a new head coach, things will change. It all depends on what our next head coach wants to run defensively - 34 or 43.

Just curious, can Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley play DE? I doubt that PIT will let him leave but im curious to know if he can play DE in a 4-3 or if he's just a 3-4 OLB.

Comment

• He could definetly play DE, he had his hand down in college much more often than he does now w/ the Steelers. But his best use is where he is now. Surprisingly good in coverage, he is a beast getting after the qb from several different angles. The matchups that zone blitzes create highlight his strength and athleticism, and has great technique when getting after tackles on the edge. It wouldnt be a waste by any shot by putting him in a 4-3, but not his best fit;
                            Nor is he a one man wrecking crew. If we just throw him in our line up and have Haralson sleepwalking on the other side, Woodley could be taken out of a game.

Comment

As for Troy Smith, he sucks and is worse than Alex Smith, plain and simple. Carr is even worse than him. Bye bye to both. Personally, if we cant draft Luck/Locker and have to draft a QB late first/early second, im hoping that Nate Davis will be the starter in 2011 because if we're going to sacrifice 2011, mine as well start Davis and see how he does in a full season. Also, looking forward to seeing what a new head coach and staff thinks of Alex, Troy and Nate. That should be interesting.
                              Troy Smith has not played that great, but I still think he's played better than Alex Smith. Let's not forget that he hasn't been here for training camp and it's is first season with the team. I would't mind having Troy as a backup actually.

Comment

Troy Smith has not played that great, but I still think he's played better than Alex Smith. Let's not forget that he hasn't been here for training camp and it's is first season with the team. I would't mind having Troy as a backup actually.
                                LMAO! I know you don't like Alex Smith but come on.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information