This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
    I agree that it is irrelevant if you are talking about a QB being a starter but we are talking about which one is more likely to stick around as a backup. Like I said, do you think a new coach would rather have a mediocre backup QB with moments of greatness or just a mediocre backup QB?
    He'd probably have to analyze both of them first. What either has done up to this point (which hasn't been much in both players' cases) is irrelevant for a new head coach. Alex Smith's rare "almost comebacks" aren't going to be remembered or even acknowledged. Nor is it going to give him some advantage in staying with the 49ers. On the contrary he's already at a disadvantage for being with the team for six years and accomplishing nothing significant. So it's pointless. Alex Smith's deal is up. I doubt that he remains due what the franchise has been through with him. Even as a backup. Our former 1st overall pick remaining on the team as a backup going into his seventh season? That isn't going to bode well for the franchise. It's time to move on. Him staying on the team for a seventh year would cause an uproar. He'll be gone regardless of what happens from here on out.
    Last edited by Ness; 12-25-2010, 08:24 PM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
      Word. I don't care for moral victories or accomplishments. The fact is Alex didn't win the game. The sack and fumble plus the interception towards the end were mistakes the team couldn't overcome. No one is going to remember his "almost" comebacks that he's had. I think dan77733 should go make a poll about it though...just in case people do remember.
      The lost fumble was a horrible decision but the INT at the end wasnt his fault. I Rachal didnt push the guy he was supposed to block to Davis who had his own guy to block, Smith wouldnt have been pressured earlier than he was and wouldnt have thrown the INT. That INT was on Rachal, not Alex.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        The lost fumble was a horrible decision but the INT at the end wasnt his fault. I Rachal didnt push the guy he was supposed to block to Davis who had his own guy to block, Smith wouldnt have been pressured earlier than he was and wouldnt have thrown the INT. That INT was on Rachal, not Alex.
        Okay. The guy still didn't get it done. Here we're talking about "it's not his fault" (which is always the case with Alex) instead of a victory. Unfortunately that is the reality in the NFL. No one is going to remember that Davis screwed up with the block, they'll just remember Smith screwing up. If the quarterback is the one to take all the glory, he is going to be the one to take most of the blame. Not saying it's right, but I am saying that is how it is. I'm quite tired of the excuses with Alex. There have been enough for the last six years. Time to move on.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
        Originally posted by Borat
        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Can we just drop the QB issues . We need a better QB that is all there is too . gosh . Alex and Troy suck monkey balls all together .No question .

Comment

• I agree with the guy above me, we should stop talking about Alex/Troy because they both suck but on the bright side, it could be worse, our starting QB could be Tim Tebow. LMAO!!!

Comment

• at least he has more upside that Troy or Alex.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• This is a sad, sad waste of all our time. I want the Niners to figure it out and be relevant again.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• So guys is there a snow balls in chance we win this game and go into the play offs with the worse record of all time in NFL history to win the division / wild car ? Maybe maybe not .But I hope we get a shot and I hope we don't only for a shot at Jake Locker for our next QB next season.The line should be able sustained since Chris Long is out .

Comment

• We don't deserve to win this. I hope Bradford has his way with the Niners. I am so ******* sick of Jed York thinking this team can make the playoffs. **** you, Jed, you'll never be Eddie DeBartolo Jr., so stop acting like it.

Comment

• LMFAO!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ome-this-week/

Personally, I dont see the point. I would just wait until next Monday and bye bye Singletary.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                        LMFAO!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ome-this-week/

Personally, I dont see the point. I would just wait until next Monday and bye bye Singletary.
                        take PFT with a grain of salt. but it could indeed come next week, it could come an hour after our next game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                          take PFT with a grain of salt. but it could indeed come next week, it could come an hour after our next game.
                          They got it from Barrows, who got the idea from an interview with York

Comment

• after the game, York essentially said the team will have a new GM, Head Coach and new QB going into next season. thank ******* god.

so stop bitching about Alex Smith/Troy Smith and Singletary. it's over/done/dead.

Comment

• GM interviews? This is troublesome... A bad hire here sets us back light years. Lets hope Holmgren is done in Cleveland, probably not. I think Baalke did a great job w/ the draft despite the season we just had. It seems his strength is talent evaluation, maybe not personnel decisions. He should be allowed to stick around. I think York would've already made Baalke GM if he was ever going to be. Who are the top candidates?

Sidebar: I give credit to York for his loyalty to Singletary while we were mathematically in the playoff hunt. He tried to backup him up however stupid he may have looked to outsiders. Now that we are eliminated he isn't letting the staff off the hook for much(see Barrows interview), as brief as he was. He said the talent level is not the problem, except at QB which is a 'need'. As long as he doesnt hire Terry Donahue...

Comment

• I prefer PFT over ESPN and all the rest. But thats just me.

Anyway, I really hope Holmgren will leave CLE for SF. He can re-unite with Gruden to be the head coach. OC and DC is still who knows but if Holmgren/Gruden happens, I wouldnt mind Brad Childress as the OC. He's one of those guys who's far better as an OC than he is as an HC.

Does anyone know what OC's and DC's have expiring contracts after this season?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information