Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One more post, if the 49ers do pass on Cam Newton I would have no problem with it at all. I have complete and absolute trust in Harbaugh and his system. It is extremely refreshing to actually have the ability to say that for once in what feels like a long time.

    Comment


    • During his talks last week with the 49ers, according to an NFL source, Harbaugh was very clear that he felt he could find a QB in the draft, and possibly wouldn’t even need to use the No. 7 overall pick to do it.
      Yeah, I've been reading about his draft grades of QBs while he was on staff with the Raiders. Reportedly he had Tony Romo as a 2nd rounder and also liked David Garrard. He also supposedly didn't have a good grade at all for #3 overall pick Joey Harrington.

      If these reports are true, I feel much more comfortable approching the QB prospects this season.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-capers-h.html

        After looking at the defensive rankings, Fangio's defense got WORSE every year except for when he was on the Texans and went from 31st in 2003 to 23rd in 2004 but went back to 31st in 2005.

        Looking at those rankings, I would rather stay with Manusky because none of those rankings impress me at all.
        This is true but what is most interesting...

        In the years in which his defenses (as DC or as LB Coach) excelled, they ran a 3-4. In the years they struggled, he ran a 4-3.

        I feel he is a MUCH better 3-4 option than 4-3 option.

        Comment


        • Greg Manusky is interviewing for the DC spot in Dallas, how would you grade his tenure with you guys?
          Cowboys Mock:
          1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
          2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
          3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

          Comment


          • His scheme was definitely questioned under Nolan. Played alot of hybrid and didn't seem to be very aggressive. Once Nolan was fired, it appeared as though things were going to change. Unfortunately the last 2 seasons have been pretty pathetic. He rarely blitzes (it seems) and no matter what the situation, he seemingly always had the CBs playing soft. He seems to have a very "bend but don't break" approach. If the team was able to create turnovers it looked great, but those turnovers were few and far between.

            What there is to like is that he implements both 1-gap and 2-gap assignments along the front-3. He doesn't just expect the DE to occupy blockers and set the edge but if their talents allow it, to pursue the QB. He used BOTH with the 49ers. Justin Smith was given more freedom to rush the passer whereas Isaac Sopoaga played a more traditional 2-gap mold. This, of course, is more likely due to the two players vastly different skill-sets.
            Last edited by phlysac; 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
              Greg Manusky is interviewing for the DC spot in Dallas, how would you grade his tenure with you guys?
              Personally, I thought he did above average given the fact that we had no pass rushers and no safeties. I would expect him to do a lot better with Ware and Spencer. He's not great, but he's definitely pretty good.

              Manny Lawson should be a 4-3 OLB, much like Peterson was for us. We could move Brooks to DE and Willis would dominate at MLB.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by binary View Post
                Personally, I thought he did above average given the fact that we had no pass rushers and no safeties. I would expect him to do a lot better with Ware and Spencer. He's not great, but he's definitely pretty good.

                Manny Lawson should be a 4-3 OLB, much like Peterson was for us. We could move Brooks to DE and Willis would dominate at MLB.
                Sure if you only assume the positives of a switch to 4-3. The problem is if a switch is made, we still have noone that would be a consistent pass rusher from the DE position and our secondary is still terrible.

                Justin Smith seems to be MUCH more of a threat as a 3-4 DE than he was as a 4-3 DE.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                  His scheme was definitely questioned under Nolan. Played alot of hybrid and didn't seem to be very aggressive. Once Nolan was fired, it appeared as though things were going to change. Unfortunately the last 2 seasons have been pretty pathetic. He rarely blitzes (it seems) and no matter what the situation, he seemingly always had the CBs playing soft. He seems to have a very "bend but don't break" approach. If the team was able to create turnovers it looked great, but those turnovers were few and far between.

                  What there is to like is that he implements both 1-gap and 2-gap assignments along the front-3. He doesn't just expect the DE to occupy blockers and set the edge but if their talents allow it, to pursue the QB. He used BOTH with the 49ers. Justin Smith was given more freedom to rush the passer whereas Isaac Sopoaga played a more traditional 2-gap mold. This, of course, is more likely due to the two players vastly different skill-sets.
                  Thanks, great insight. His defense sounds a lot like a Wade Phillips defense actually, which is good and bad. How did he use your NT Franklin? Was he asked to play as a 2-gap or was it more a traditional 1-gap nose?
                  Cowboys Mock:
                  1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                  2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                  3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by binary View Post
                    What would you guys think of taking Newton in the 2nd round and possibly using him as a TE/FB/gadget type of player. You know Harbaugh loves TEs and FBs.
                    No thanks to that. I don't think that Cam will want to play those roles and they would be over-drafting the next project that could turn out to be Pat White version II = wasted pick.


                    #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


                    "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
                      There's no way that Cam Newton is ready to step in and be a starter in the NFL right now. He's going to need polish and training in a pro offense. That being said, I still like him as a prospect. He's probably not top 10 good, more like Josh Freeman as a pro prospect, but the talent is definitely there. He missed some throws tonight but he was also slinging rockets all over the field. Plus he's obviously nearly the perfect quarterback from a physical standpoint.

                      He also looked really injured by the end of the game, wonder if he has anything wrong with him.

                      That being said, I don't really think he's a Harbaugh type of player and I'd be surprised if we drafted him.
                      The question with Cam is if the team that takes him can develop him and he fits their SCHEME. Harbaugh can't just develop anybody wth some talent; he needs to find the guy who can run HIS offense the way he wants it. Talent is needed, but fit is most important.

                      That being said, there's not an exact prototypical guy Harbaugh is looking for, but he will have to have certain characteristics, such as being able to easily digest a playbook and, read progressions and make the accurate throw. Thus, with someone like Nate Davis, he has talent but not the learning ability to digest a playbook at the rate that Harbaugh would need him to. That's the easy reason why he wasn't offered a future contract. He may have talent, but he doesn't appear to be a good fit with the direction the Niners are going.


                      #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


                      "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

                      Comment


                      • I'm still hoping these three QB s we go after .Which are Locker , Stanzi or Dalton maybe one or two more if some one shows some good effort in work outs or what not .But those are the top 3 i Have for right now. We also still need help at O line and D line .

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by phlysac
                          This is true but what is most interesting...

                          In the years in which his defenses (as DC or as LB Coach) excelled, they ran a 3-4. In the years they struggled, he ran a 4-3.

                          I feel he is a MUCH better 3-4 option than 4-3 option.
                          I know that the Panthers ran a 3-4 for their first season because I remember it was like PIT over there with Kevin Greene and others but know about after that or about Indy. I do know that the Texans ran the 3-4 from 2002-2005 and then switched to the 4-3 in 2006 after they hired Kubiak from DEN and drafted DE Mario Williams. For the four seasons in HOU, their defense was bad to horrible so while you think that he's a better 3-4 option than a 4-3 option, I think that compared to Manusky, he's a worse option period and this is coming from someone who's not a huge fan of Manusky.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                            I understand hes a good all around OLB now, but Manny Lawson was one helluva DE in the 4-3 in college, he was a 1st rounder because of the pass rusher he was. Why wouldnt he move back to end? Or has he just become that good at all of the other parts in his game?
                            I have mentioned this a billion times and everyone here says that it's because he's too small and doesnt have enough moves to be a pass rushing DE in the 4-3. I dont think he would do any worse than Brooks to be honest but whether its as a 4-3 DE or an OLB in the 3-4 or 4-3, I would re-sign him regardless as he's definitely worth keeping.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by binary View Post
                              Personally, I thought he did above average given the fact that we had no pass rushers and no safeties. I would expect him to do a lot better with Ware and Spencer. He's not great, but he's definitely pretty good.

                              Manny Lawson should be a 4-3 OLB, much like Peterson was for us. We could move Brooks to DE and Willis would dominate at MLB.
                              Manusky is okay but he always does the opposite of what he should do. Take Clements for example, everyone says that Clements is better when playing at the LOS and being aggressive yet more times than not, Manusky always had him playing off the LOS which I hate in general. I would like to see the CB's play man coverage and be right at the LOS so the WR's dont get a clean break off the LOS. If the CB's get beat, at least they WR's will have to earn what they get instead of being open in nothing but space and I hate zone crap period. Any QB can find an open WR in space between the defenders.

                              And add Fangio with Manusky as Garrett wants to interview both for the DC spot. Personally, I would keep Manusky over Fangio but would prefer to go back to the 4-3 and hire John Fox to be the DC since I seriously doubt that he will be a HC in 2011.

                              Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                              Sure if you only assume the positives of a switch to 4-3. The problem is if a switch is made, we still have noone that would be a consistent pass rusher from the DE position and our secondary is still terrible.

                              Justin Smith seems to be MUCH more of a threat as a 3-4 DE than he was as a 4-3 DE.
                              Smith was pretty good as a 4-3 DE in CIN as he was the only good DL they even had at the time. Secondary sucks whether we play in a 3-4 or a 4-3 and needs to be upgraded regardless. Front seven wise, I would actually franchise Franklin and try to trade him to WSH for Haynesworth. Put Haynesworth at DT in the 4-3 next to Smith or whoever the other DE would be and I think that DE will benefit greatly because majority of teams will double team Haynesworth.

                              And yeah, I know Haynesworth didnt do a damn thing in WSH but Shanahan is a moron who was just trying to show that he could switch to the 3-4 and be successful even though their defense was horrible. He took his two best DL in Haynesworth and Carter and made them both useless in the 3-4 and thats something I hate. Whether its the DC or the HC, so many of them come in and switch the defense and unless they get lucky (like the Packers did last year in the Draft), the switch isnt going to work and will be a transition until the right players are brought in which to me is stupid. You're supposed to look over the defense that you have and use it to their strengths while hiding their weaknesses.

                              For us, we dont have a 3-4 pass rushing OLB and eventually, once Franklin is gone for whatever reason, we'll once again need to find a NT which is equal to the MLB in the 4-3. Difference is that we have our MLB in Willis and if you put two solid to good DT's in front of him, he'll be even better than what he already is.

                              Secondary wise, im hoping for UFA CB Richard Marshall and if available FS O.J. Atogwe. I would only keep Clements if he agrees to take a paycut of 2/3 and move to FS. If he says no to either, bye bye. And Spencer would be rght behind him. I like Brown as the nickel or dime back but we need two young starters that can be around for at least the next five seasons.

                              Comment


                              • In the draft, with Harbaugh as coach would Marecic be a possible FB pick if he available later?
                                San Francisco 49ers: 5 Super Bowls
                                Auburn Tigers: 2 National Championships

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information