Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the Browns and Bengals picking in front of us, there's a really slim chance AJ Green gets to us. Even if he did, I think the team should pass on him. Investing multiple top 10 picks in wide receivers is not a recipe for success.

Yes, there are a lot of 2nd round and 3rd round corners in this draft. It's a great year to be picking cornerbacks thankfully. There's a lot of depth at rush linebacker too, but a lot more 1st rounders and just a couple 2nd-3rd rounders.

Comment

• There seems to be a lot of good depth in most of the Niners positions of need in this Draft, especially in Rounds 1-4. Even if there is a CBA agreement soon (which I don't see happening until possibly July or early August), I am against them trading their draft picks for talent, especially the early rounds. If a player can come via trade on the cheap (5th rounder or lower) then look at it.

The reason Kolb is being mentioned for a 2nd & 3rd is from the Matt Schaub precedent that was set a few years ago for a team trading for "the best backup QB in the NFL." I think Kolb is worth a look, but it's a big risk for the Niners to make a deal like that. Harbaugh would have to be sure that he is the QBOTF for the Niners in having a deal like that orchestrated. I just don't see it happening for a number of reasons. If Kolb was deemed the best target, I would offer the Eagles a 4th this year and a conditional 3rd next year at the most if they are looking for multiple picks.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
        I wouldn't mind Mallet.The kid is pretty tough as it.I just wonder how is work ethics and football IQ is.Also his pocket presence isn't the greatest but everything else seems to fall into place though.Can't wait to see him throw at the combine.
        They don't have 320-pound pass rushers coming at you full speed at the Combine..... Mallett has happy feet, tends to be panicky.

He will have to show some pocket poise to be an NFL starter.
        Last edited by LizardState; 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Hey guys, I'd love for someone to critique my job thus far in Fenikz' mock as the 49ers GM.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
            Hey guys, I'd love for someone to critique my job thus far in Fenikz' mock as the 49ers GM.
            Not a fan of it. Don't want Gabbert, thought Brown went too early, but liked Jenkins in the third. Friday I'm a little leery about.
            The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
              Something along the lines of this would be ideal, imo:

1. Amukamara - CB
              2. Brooks Reed - OLB
              3. Ponder/Kaepernick - QB
              I dig the sig. Im on the Josh Johnson bandwagon. Would much rather use a 4th or 5th on him than a QB in this draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                There seems to be a lot of good depth in most of the Niners positions of need in this Draft, especially in Rounds 1-4. Even if there is a CBA agreement soon (which I don't see happening until possibly July or early August), I am against them trading their draft picks for talent, especially the early rounds. If a player can come via trade on the cheap (5th rounder or lower) then look at it.

The reason Kolb is being mentioned for a 2nd & 3rd is from the Matt Schaub precedent that was set a few years ago for a team trading for "the best backup QB in the NFL." I think Kolb is worth a look, but it's a big risk for the Niners to make a deal like that. Harbaugh would have to be sure that he is the QBOTF for the Niners in having a deal like that orchestrated. I just don't see it happening for a number of reasons. If Kolb was deemed the best target, I would offer the Eagles a 4th this year and a conditional 3rd next year at the most if they are looking for multiple picks.
                I think Kolb is better than Schaub was when he was traded. I don't know why anyone says Kolb is average. He's started 7 games. That's not nearly enough to label him. He's shown he can be a good QB he just needs more reps to improve his decision making. Id definitely trade a 2nd and 3rd for him. Preferably for the 2012 draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
                  With the Browns and Bengals picking in front of us, there's a really slim chance AJ Green gets to us. Even if he did, I think the team should pass on him. Investing multiple top 10 picks in wide receivers is not a recipe for success.

Yes, there are a lot of 2nd round and 3rd round corners in this draft. It's a great year to be picking cornerbacks thankfully. There's a lot of depth at rush linebacker too, but a lot more 1st rounders and just a couple 2nd-3rd rounders.
                  I agree that I doubt green would fall to us at 7 but im sorry, if he does and Peterson/Prince are gone, he's easily worth the luxury pick. He's the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson who's awesome despite being on a crappy team. Imagine Green with Crabtree and Davis. Not only that but with Morgan a UFA in 2012, we could let him leave plus if Crabtree declines or if we just dont want to keep him in four years, at least we would already have his replacement.

There is a lot of depth, after Peterson/Prince, im looking at Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams and Jimmy Smith. I read an article on Smith at PFT that has some writer at Sporting News ranking Smith number one overall because they said he's the next true shutdown corner giving up only 12 receptions and 1 TD and since the article says that he plays in a passing conference, its pretty impressive. The article says that opposing offenses rarely if ever threw at him so if thats all true, I wouldnt mind him in the second round.

Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                  There seems to be a lot of good depth in most of the Niners positions of need in this Draft, especially in Rounds 1-4. Even if there is a CBA agreement soon (which I don't see happening until possibly July or early August), I am against them trading their draft picks for talent, especially the early rounds. If a player can come via trade on the cheap (5th rounder or lower) then look at it.

Screw Kolb. I rather trade a 3rd for Packers Matt Flynn. No way would I give up anything higher than a 3rd for any QB via trade and would only trade away more than one draft pick if it was in rounds 4-7.

Comment

• Matt Flynn? come on, MAYBE 5th for that guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Milk Man View Post
                      I think Kolb is better than Schaub was when he was traded. I don't know why anyone says Kolb is average. He's started 7 games. That's not nearly enough to label him. He's shown he can be a good QB he just needs more reps to improve his decision making. Id definitely trade a 2nd and 3rd for him. Preferably for the 2012 draft.
                      Same. He was groomed by two of the best offensive minded coaches in the league in a similar style of system that SF is going to run. He was benched for a guy that finished 2nd in MVP voting. I thought Kevin Lynch nailed it that this team does not have a lot of holes to fill and with the number of picks SF has there is a ton of flexability to make a trade. Kolb would set us up nicely for the future in a divison with only 1 franchise QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Milk Man View Post
                        Ehhh. Matt Schaub was playing well in Atlanta with very little talent at the time. Kolb has the luck of being on a great team in a great system. And just from what I've personally seen I like Schaub's delievery a lot better. He throws a good ball.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                        Originally posted by Borat
                        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                          I agree that I doubt green would fall to us at 7 but im sorry, if he does and Peterson/Prince are gone, he's easily worth the luxury pick. He's the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson who's awesome despite being on a crappy team. Imagine Green with Crabtree and Davis. Not only that but with Morgan a UFA in 2012, we could let him leave plus if Crabtree declines or if we just dont want to keep him in four years, at least we would already have his replacement.

I think your overlooking alot of other things here that are very important in how well your team/offense plays together, such as personalities, roles, egos, and team chemistry. You can guarantee you guys would end up having to trade 1 of the 2 at some point, probably pretty soon.

There is a certain system you have to have in place for two elite WR's to succeed in and it's very unique. The Cardinals had a HOF QB and a pass happy offense to make it work. Look at any other WR duo that was similiar and you had a same recipe on offense.

Putting two potentially elite WR's on the same team, that tends to run the ball more then anything, that doesn't have a QB at the time let alone a good one, and two guys who are going to want the ball in crunch time.

Do you think anything about Crabtree says that he'd be ok with a 2nd fiddle WR, or the #2 guy? How many looks would he realistically get? What about when the game is on the line and AJ Green is the one who is always getting the ball? Those things are easy to diffuse when you have an offense who throws the ball enough and a QB skillful enough to get everyone the ball, but if not it's a disaster.

Then you have 1 guy bitching the QB out, another bitching to the media, I just don't see SF being a place for that to work out with Crabtree already being there. Just my take on the issue. I think it would be smart to go and get Josh Johnson for the cheap and focus on defense. Morgan isn't a world beater but he's solid and still getting better, if Crabs steps up him and Vernon are enough weapons in the passing game for a team who will probably live and die with getting Gore the ball again.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                            Ehhh. Matt Schaub was playing well in Atlanta with very little talent at the time. Kolb has the luck of being on a great team in a great system. And just from what I've personally seen I like Schaub's delievery a lot better. He throws a good ball.
                            Played well? He had 2 starts in his career with ATL. He had a 6:6 TD/INT ratio in limited time there. Also if you are going to knock Kolb for playing in a great system then you probably feel we should cross Matt Flynn off the trade list as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                              I think your overlooking alot of other things here that are very important in how well your team/offense plays together, such as personalities, roles, egos, and team chemistry. You can guarantee you guys would end up having to trade 1 of the 2 at some point, probably pretty soon.

There is a certain system you have to have in place for two elite WR's to succeed in and it's very unique. The Cardinals had a HOF QB and a pass happy offense to make it work. Look at any other WR duo that was similiar and you had a same recipe on offense.

Putting two potentially elite WR's on the same team, that tends to run the ball more then anything, that doesn't have a QB at the time let alone a good one, and two guys who are going to want the ball in crunch time.

Do you think anything about Crabtree says that he'd be ok with a 2nd fiddle WR, or the #2 guy? How many looks would he realistically get? What about when the game is on the line and AJ Green is the one who is always getting the ball? Those things are easy to diffuse when you have an offense who throws the ball enough and a QB skillful enough to get everyone the ball, but if not it's a disaster.

Then you have 1 guy bitching the QB out, another bitching to the media, I just don't see SF being a place for that to work out with Crabtree already being there. Just my take on the issue. I think it would be smart to go and get Josh Johnson for the cheap and focus on defense. Morgan isn't a world beater but he's solid and still getting better, if Crabs steps up him and Vernon are enough weapons in the passing game for a team who will probably live and die with getting Gore the ball again.
                              I understand what you're saying but even if I had to trade Crabtree down the line and get draft picks for him, how's that a bad thing?

And look at the following teams in the NFL now including your Cowboys who have THREE receivers who want the damn ball plus a TE. Giants, Eagles, Vikings, Packers, Saints, Jets, Bengals and your Cowboys have at least two good to great starting receivers. Packers have Driver and Jennings plus others and they're in the Super Bowl. Granted, they've had to pass more due to Grant's season ending injury but they were together for the last few seasons and no problems there.

Personally, if Green is there and Peterson/Prince are gone at 7, I either draft him or try to trade down for a team that wants him but it would definitely cost them. If the other team doesnt want to give up what I want, I draft Green and doing so if anything would shut Crabtree up and hopefully make him play during pre-season and actually care. He's a diva and if Green is basically what Calvin Johnson is, I would have no problem trading Crabtree the hell out of here if that becomes the case in a few seasons.

The reason we've been a running team is because we havent had a good or better QB since Garcia and second, all Sing and Nolan wanted to ever do was play power ball so even if Alex could have been good or better, you would have never even know it. I'm hoping that Harbaugh wants to pass more, be more aggressive, go down the field and score more points because 13 or whatever the hell it is a game isnt going to cut it. Not only that, but Gore needs to stop being abused. He's awesome but I dont want him getting injured every season especially since he's getting older and dont want to have to depend on him alone for offense becuse thats not going to always work. I also prefer us using the pass to setup the run instead of the other way around.

Draft wise, if both CB's are gone and DT's and the two OLB's, that would leave Green as by far and away the best player on the board. Now, I dont think that he'll get past the Bengals but if he does and Peterson/Prince are gone, I would draft him unless a team is willing to give up what I want in order to move up and get him.

QB wise, I would acquire TWO QB's via trade once FA starts. I would trade a 3rd to GB for Flynn because if he wants to be a starter, it sure as hell isnt going to be in GB unless Rodgers gets hurt and a 5th for Johnson. With both being 25 or so, I sign them to five year extensions after trading for them because even if they flop, they'll both be cheap and the cap hit (if the cap returns) would be small to nothing anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                                QB wise, I would acquire TWO QB's via trade once FA starts. I would trade a 3rd to GB for Flynn because if he wants to be a starter, it sure as hell isnt going to be in GB unless Rodgers gets hurt and a 5th for Johnson. With both being 25 or so, I sign them to five year extensions after trading for them because even if they flop, they'll both be cheap and the cap hit (if the cap returns) would be small to nothing anyway.
                                I wouldn't be surprised if we sign one FA QB and then draft two.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information