This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
    Eh, if Harbaugh wants Locker, then I'll trust his opinion.
    Agreed, in harbaugh we trust.
    San Francisco 49ers: 5 Super Bowls
    Auburn Tigers: 2 National Championships

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
      What players are on y'all short list for free agency?

Lets be realistic about this as well, I highly doubt be get Nnamdi!

Here is my top 10:

NT Paul Soliai
      OLB Mathias Kiwanuka
      S George Wilson
      QB Matt Hasselbeck
      OLB Kamerion Wimbley
      S O.J. Atogwe
      WR Malcolm Floyd
      QB Seneca Wallace
      NT Pat Williams
      WR Mark Clayton

I am not a huge fan of FA, but there are some players I like this year. I look for deals though, players who are getting away because their team has depth at their position. I also don't think the Niners are too many pieces away from a playoff team. I would rather fill most holes in the draft.
      Wimbley and Soliai got tagged today. That sucks. I like Kiwanuka and Atogwe from that list. I think we should go balls out for Nnamdi and cut Clements and use his salary + plus whatever it takes to get Nnamdi to cross the Bay. A shutdown corner will improve the defense ten fold.
      The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        Fangio hasnt been impressed with Lawson??? Hmmmm, I wonder if he's been impressed with Harlason or Brooks??? If so, our defense is in trouble.
        AFAIK, Fangio has mentioned Brooks once in his first interview.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
          Eh, if Harbaugh wants Locker, then I'll trust his opinion.
          He won't want Locker though, so that's the end of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verloren View Post
            AFAIK, Fangio has mentioned Brooks once in his first interview.
            So Brooks could be a starter next year, even if Lawson stays or goes?
            San Francisco 49ers: 5 Super Bowls
            Auburn Tigers: 2 National Championships

Comment

• Looks like Manny Lawson is on the way out.

Quote:
              Fangio believes in a 3-4 defense, with outside linebackers as primary pass rushers and frequent blitzes. He has apparently not been impressed by the play of Manny Lawson, now a free agent, so it’s unlikely the 49ers will try to persuade Lawson to return.
              Affordability will be the best reason to retain him, like backing off on the big raise he thinks he needs & deserves. If he's cheaper to keep than a younger, quicker rookie mid-rd. pass rusher, then yeah he stays, but it's unlikely.

New coaches always seem to want to make their mark on their new team by putting Their Guys in starting jobs.

Looks like that 1st pick will go defense, likely CB, & that leaves the cetner & a guard to replace Chilo Rachal as open issues. I was thinking about the many OL issues with the 9ers & it occurred to me that the best later than the 1st rd. solution is at OG unless O'Dowd & Wisniewski are both gone as they look to be by the 2nd-3rd rds. James Carpenter, the Bama star of the Sr. Bowl practice wk? He can play tackle too but is projected in the NFL as a guard. IDK what Hudson from FSU measured at the Combine, but he's listed as only 282 & that's too small in today's NFL, Claiborne comes from the BC program famous for producing interior o-linemen, he's 6-3, 325..... dumping Rachal & replacing him on this young OL is of paramount importance, he can't be forgotten in SF soon enough.
              Last edited by LizardState; 02-26-2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• I know we are all thinking CB with our first pick in April.But I'm wondering will Locker clime high enough this weekend to the number one QB over newton and Gabbert?I mean hes got just about everything going for him right now.I watched the short interview they did on Total access this moring and hes got a HIGH football IQ.He mentioned that his accuracy could be fixed with repetition and his footwork as well.We could always go round two for a descent CB.I'm just saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                  He won't want Locker though, so that's the end of that.
                  Pretty much, nothing about Locker screams 'accurate'.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• The one thing I never like when there's a new defensive coordinator is that instead of using the base and taking advantage of the players we have, the defensive coordinator always does the opposite just to install their own system. I personally hate that and have never been a fan of it.

Think about it, if we would have switched back to the 4-3, we could have re-signed Franklin at a cheaper rate since his value would have decreased plus Lawson who like most say would be better in a 4-3 defense. Sopoaga would move back inside to DT and when you think about it, the only spot that we would have to fill would be DE opposite Smith.

Instead, we could use an upgrade at DE opposite Smith, a replacement for Franklin, Lawson, Spikes and Goldson plus an upgrade at CB.

To me, it would have been a smarter move to switch back to the 4-3 and even more so now if we lose Franklin.

As for Asomugha, he's the best cover corner in the league but he'll be 30 in a few months and I wouldnt even go after him. I would much rather go after Richard Marshall and hope we can get Patrick Peterson in the Draft. Basically, I rather see us rebuild the position with a young talented core. After signing Marshall, I would release Clements but keep Spencer as the nickelback.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                      The one thing I never like when there's a new defensive coordinator is that instead of using the base and taking advantage of the players we have, the defensive coordinator always does the opposite just to install their own system. I personally hate that and have never been a fan of it.

Think about it, if we would have switched back to the 4-3, we could have re-signed Franklin at a cheaper rate since his value would have decreased plus Lawson who like most say would be better in a 4-3 defense. Sopoaga would move back inside to DT and when you think about it, the only spot that we would have to fill would be DE opposite Smith.

Instead, we could use an upgrade at DE opposite Smith, a replacement for Franklin, Lawson, Spikes and Goldson plus an upgrade at CB.

To me, it would have been a smarter move to switch back to the 4-3 and even more so now if we lose Franklin.

As for Asomugha, he's the best cover corner in the league but he'll be 30 in a few months and I wouldnt even go after him. I would much rather go after Richard Marshall and hope we can get Patrick Peterson in the Draft. Basically, I rather see us rebuild the position with a young talented core. After signing Marshall, I would release Clements but keep Spencer as the nickelback.
                      You hate guys installing their own system, yet want a DC to come in and change everything?

Spikes is already being phased out, regardless if we stay in the thirty or not - Bowman was drafted for a reason.

Making a decision on Goldson is important regardless if we stay in the thirty.

Upgrade at Corner, important regardless.

Resigning/replacing Franklin, important regardless.

You make it seem as if all of these are problems because Fangio is STICKING with the odd front - he's not even reinventing the wheel here.

Yes, losing Franklin would hurt us - but if we lost him playing in the 43, we'd have Sop and Ricky-Jean - not as if we'd be world beaters up front, probably just as bad if not worse against the run than we'd be in the 34 without Franklin. Not to mention we'd be sacrificing team speed by putting one of those interior lineman on the field instead of the fourth linebacker, Bowman.

You cant just plug big bodies at DT and say, problem solved, the 43 is the way to go.
                      Originally posted by Babylon
                      It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49erNation85 View Post
                        I know we are all thinking CB with our first pick in April.But I'm wondering will Locker clime high enough this weekend to the number one QB over newton and Gabbert?I mean hes got just about everything going for him right now.I watched the short interview they did on Total access this moring and hes got a HIGH football IQ.He mentioned that his accuracy could be fixed with repetition and his footwork as well.We could always go round two for a descent CB.I'm just saying.
                        I don't think CB is the clear cut winner right now. Pass rusher is just as big if not bigger. I just personally have Peterson as the #1 prospect, so I lean to corner.

No, i don't think the combine will be enough to vault Locker's stock to the point it was last year. Gabbert's stock is higher, whether you like it or not, and his won't go down by not participating. He'll throw at his pro day, and it will be a sheltered environment where he'll look good - so Locker is playing second, probably third fiddle at this point (behind Newton) and that's almost certainly where it will stay.

More likely that we pick Locker in the 2nd, than the 1st at this point.
                        Originally posted by Babylon
                        It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• 34 or 43 doesn't matter much to me until we get a passrush. We haven't had a good passrusher or Oline for as long as I can remember, I'm tired of it.

Comment

• My preference is Peterson or Miller but I'm increasingly suspicious that Gabbert might be the pick. Scouts seem to absolutely love him and he was Harbaugh's #1 recruit-target. I think Harbaugh does like Alex Smith but perhaps, just perhaps, he made his love-fest so public in hopes of teams not openly expecting them to select a QB at #7.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                              My preference is Peterson or Miller but I'm increasingly suspicious that Gabbert might be the pick. Scouts seem to absolutely love him and he was Harbaugh's #1 recruit-target. I think Harbaugh does like Alex Smith but perhaps, just perhaps, he made his love-fest so public in hopes of teams not openly expecting them to select a QB at #7.
                              Please god no!I would rather reach for Locker instead.But I must be the only 49er/Locker fan here.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                                My preference is Peterson or Miller but I'm increasingly suspicious that Gabbert might be the pick. Scouts seem to absolutely love him and he was Harbaugh's #1 recruit-target. I think Harbaugh does like Alex Smith but perhaps, just perhaps, he made his love-fest so public in hopes of teams not openly expecting them to select a QB at #7.
                                Mike Silver of Yahoo.com is a former 49ers beat writer and probably still has some good sources inside the organization. Here's what he had to say in an article about Harbaugh and the lockout..

Jim Harbaugh’s new coordinators, former Stanford assistants Greg Roman and Vic Fangio, are undoubtedly rooting for a quick settlement. So should be the quarterback the Niners are likely to select with the seventh overall pick. Smith? Not so much.
                                http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?...outshape022411

Granted, its just a throwaway line in his article...but still, it makes you think. And Gabbert is the most likely QB to be picked by us at 7.

BTW, here's what Mayock thinks about Gabbert

"I like Gabbert a lot," Mayock said. "He can make every throw, he's a big kid and he's more athletic than people think.
                                "I've probably seen at least seven of his games and purely on tape, he reminds me of the guys who have done well in the last couple years. He reminds me of (the Rams' Sam) Bradford. He reminds me of (the Falcons') Matt Ryan.
                                Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 02-26-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information