This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
    I think your reasoning is sound - there's a good chance there will be a run on quarterbacks and trading up to secure one of them is a real possibility.

However, if I'm going to be trading up, it's not going to b for Kaepernick. I would trade up for Ponder, but let the rest go. As you said, Dalton will still be around and Stanzi's name has gone by the wayside in draft talks but he's cut from the same cloth as these second tier guys.

If there is a ridiculous run on quarterbacks and Ponder looks to be extremely difficult to get - then I would stick to the board. I know we need a QB -but we also need a CB and a pass rusher, and if 5 guys from a position outside of those two needs go, then that means more will be available for us to take.
    His reasoning is indeed sound. It's a realistic scenario that there could be a QB run in the early 2nd, at the beginning of Day 2.

I would agree that if they are trading up, they should target Ponder and not Kaepernick. I believe that Dalton will be there when they pick in Round 2, but if they needed to move up a few picks to get him, I'd be fine with that, as they can't afford to not get at least one decent QB in the Draft.

I personally think that Dalton is a much better fit with Harbaugh's system than Kaepernick would be.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• I could see Dalton being the choice; He can make the throws, was a winner with 4 years of starting experience, and gives off a vibe that people like in QBs. More importantly, who would know what it takes to be an NFL QB than the coach who was one for 15 years?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-will-hav.html

"The 49ers are sending a notable contingent to Reno on Friday for a private workout with Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick, according to a source with knowledge of the event. Head coach Jim Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke are expected to be on hand."

Comment

• dam it to hell!!I still like the CK guy but really?Are we really going to look at another project or do we think this guy can come in and start day one?The kid does have good mobility and a good arm.Maybe if we nap him in the third round.But on a side note,I think this is just the begging of Coach Harbaugh in search for his new QB to groom into our offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49erNation85 View Post
            dam it to hell!!I still like the CK guy but really?Are we really going to look at another project or do we think this guy can come in and start day one?The kid does have good mobility and a good arm.Maybe if we nap him in the third round.But on a side note,I think this is just the begging of Coach Harbaugh in search for his new QB to groom into our offense.
            If CK is drafted by another team then cut several years later without playing any games, getting a feel for what he can do in drills is a lot better.

Or it could be a red herring. Do other teams think that the Niners will draft CK? Do they have him rated highly? Is he worth trading up for? Mind games are probably as much of the NFL Draft as scouting players you think are worthy of joining the team.

Comment

dam it to hell!!I still like the CK guy but really?Are we really going to look at another project or do we think this guy can come in and start day one?The kid does have good mobility and a good arm.Maybe if we nap him in the third round.But on a side note,I think this is just the begging of Coach Harbaugh in search for his new QB to groom into our offense.
              What other projects have we looked at?
              Originally posted by Babylon
              It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
                What other projects have we looked at?
                Nate Davis, maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                  Nate Davis, maybe?
                  Yeah maybe

Or maybe anyone not named Jake Locker... he's day one material

Comment

• I was referring projects from A.Smith out a spread system.Not this year guys.I still we should try to move up in round two and draft Mallet if he falls that far.

Comment

I was referring projects from A.Smith out a spread system.Not this year guys.I still we should try to move up in round two and draft Mallet if he falls that far.
                      Mallet might be effective for an NFL team somewhere, but he seems like the EXACT opposite of what Harbaugh is looking for with his system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                        His reasoning is indeed sound. It's a realistic scenario that there could be a QB run in the early 2nd, at the beginning of Day 2.

I would agree that if they are trading up, they should target Ponder and not Kaepernick. I believe that Dalton will be there when they pick in Round 2, but if they needed to move up a few picks to get him, I'd be fine with that, as they can't afford to not get at least one decent QB in the Draft.

I personally think that Dalton is a much better fit with Harbaugh's system than Kaepernick would be.
                        My main concern with Ponder is his medical history. If he checks out fine with SF's staff then I would be cool with the pick. But not knowing anything on his current medical situation. My ranking of the QBs in round 2 are:
                        1. Kaepernick
                        2. Dalton
                        3. Ponder

Another problem with Ponder is I do not think the 49ers will be able to move up high enough to get him. I think he goes to either Seattle or the Jaguars move up ahead of us.

I realize a lot of people are questioning the fit of Kaepernick into Harbaugh's system but I don't think a lot of people would have expected Josh Johnson to be a fit into his system either. Kaepernick hits on a lot of the traits that Harbaugh is looking for outstanding leader, athletic on rollouts, and does a great job selling the play-action fake. Just love the upside of Kaepernick and him working with a guru like Harbaugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                          Mallet might be effective for an NFL team somewhere, but he seems like the EXACT opposite of what Harbaugh is looking for with his system.
                          The guy who runs thebiglead.com blog had Mallet going to SF at #7. I couldn't believe it. I sent him a tweet saying no way they take Mallet over Peterson and he said they would be a playoff team with a QB, lol, I just SMH when I read that. Bad logic on his part.

Comment

• Love the Peterson pick from Barrows but no way in hell do I trade back into the first round for Kaepernick or any QB for that matter. We would have to give up our 2nd and 3rd round draft picks to move up that many spots.

No way in hell do I do that. Personally, right now with this lockout garbage going on, I wouldnt even bother with any potential franchise QB in the draft, via trade or FA. I would re-sign Smith for a year once FA's are finally able to be signed and then just find some crappy third stringer because the longer this lockout goes, the harder its going to be for Harbaugh and both of his coordinators to install the schemes they are going to run. Hiring a new HC this year with the lockout going on is just screwing us over for 2011.

If there wasnt a damn lockout, we would be okay but since thats not the case and this crap looks like it will be going on for a while, I say screw 2011 and focus on 2012 because no point in trading up to acquire a QB that wont be able to learn the system because of the lockout.

Next year, with or without Luck being in the Draft, there would still be better UFA's available including Orton, Flynn, Kolb, etc. and the longer the lockout goes, the less likely the chances are that any of those QB's get traded because no team is going to give up draft picks, players, etc. to acquire a QB that will have little to no time to learn the scheme.

Thats what I would do. Hopefully get Peterson or Prince at 7. A pass rushing OLB in the 2nd, a DE in the 3rd, a NT and FB in the 4th, another CB in the 5th and then OL rest of the way. Probably just me but I think that would be smarter than drafting a QB because without a regular off-season, he's not going to play anyway and even if he does, could turn out like Smith in 2005 so whats the point? Wait until the 2012 off-season for a QB while using this years draft to solve other positions and since we could be losing Franklin, Spikes as well as Lawson and Goldson plus possibly Clements, mine as well get their replacements now instead of later.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                              My main concern with Ponder is his medical history. If he checks out fine with SF's staff then I would be cool with the pick.
                              He missed two games during the regular season last year and the bowl game, as well as the last four games of '09.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                                Agreed - he brings a lot to the table, but didn't Harbaugh say athleticism was pretty high up on characteristics of a QB?

I've seen left tackles with more athleticism than Mallet.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information