This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Kawakami on the Kolb trade rumor:
    49ers source adamantly says team will keep Aldon Smith and suggests Eagles/Kolb rumor is coming from Eagles trying to drive up Kolb's price.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verloren View Post
      I know it will be J. Smith and R. Smith for Justin and Reggie.

But will it be A. Smith 1 and A. Smith 2?
      After losing out on trying to pair Patrick Peterson with Patrick Willis, the 49ers try to corner the Smith market.

Comment

• I'm just so mad at this Aldon smith pick at number 7 really?I mean we could of traded down and got some one better for a better value.Then ticked at Tenn and Minny for picking my two favorite QB 's for us to get.Now we are looking at maybe Mallet or Stanzi. Would rather have Mallet though.Bigger calling.Dam second round is far away.I guess we might get luck next year fellas.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
          After losing out on trying to pair Patrick Peterson with Patrick Willis, the 49ers try to corner the Smith market.
          Please no Jimmy Smith!

Comment

• Originally posted by 49erNation85 View Post
            I'm just so mad at this Aldon smith pick at number 7 really?I mean we could of traded down and got some one better for a better value.Then ticked at Tenn and Minny for picking my two favorite QB 's for us to get.Now we are looking at maybe Mallet or Stanzi. Would rather have Mallet though.Bigger calling.Dam second round is far away.I guess we might get luck next year fellas.
            Who is this mystery team that wanted the #7 pick?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabscuttle View Post
              Who is this mystery team that wanted the #7 pick?
              and Aldon Smith was top-5 on Baalke's board.

It surprised me because there wasn't even a whisper of it... but a GREAT pick.

If Von Miller is Clay Matthews then Aldon Smith is DeMarcus Ware.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post

How is he a great pick please explain.TO me we need a CB help more then ever.Not a project OLB.Plus our QB in ponder is already gone we are looking at Stazni or Mallet perhaps.Or are we looking FA maybe. or future trade.

Comment

How is he a great pick please explain.TO me we need a CB help more then ever.Not a project OLB.Plus our QB in ponder is already gone we are looking at Stazni or Mallet perhaps.Or are we looking FA maybe. or future trade.
                  How is OLB not a priority? Both of our starting OLB's combined for 7 1/2 sacks. Travis Leboy, a street free agent, tied with Brooks for most sacks at OLB. Fangio defense relies on pressure and pass rushers rarely hit the free agent so logical move.

Watching some splice ups of Smith the only thing that really jumped out at me is he looks a little stiff and upright rushing the passer and playing the run. But he has the size and looks like he can still add to his frame. I can see the Jason Paul-Pierre comparisons.

I think SF may just let QB play out tomorrow instead of moving up. I wonder if SF will just wait till FA opens and make a run at Palmer or Kolb. There is a good chance SF will not have much competition with the run on QBs today.

Comment

We can always get a CB in the 2nd if Baalke trades up -Williams and Harris are still available. The solution to our secondary problems isn't necessarily in the 1st round. I really wouldn't say Smith is a complete project. He's shown he can get to the QB in college and he's young.

Ponder never was our QB. Never. Not since reports came out about him being taken in the late-1st to early 2nd. Even if the Vikings didn't draft him in the 1st, they would have a shot at him in the 2nd with the 43rd pick.

Comment

Youre too wishy washy. If we'd have picked Locker you wouldnt have whined for a CB in the 1st.

CB is perhaps the deepest position in this years draft. TON of good CBs still available.

And based on what Ive read from Harbaugh, Kaepernick seems like the QB he likes and he's still available.

The 49ers said their 2 biggest needs were CB and OLB. They got their OLB. And just because Aldon Smith is young and raw doesnt mean he's a project.

He was universally regarded as a top-15 pick. Some mocked him to the 49ers. He was considered by many the #2 3-4 OLB prospect behind Miller.

Also, adding the potential of QB pressure from both Aldon Smith and Thaddeus Gibson takes pressure off of the DBs.

Comment

• The second best corner is still on the board. I wouldn't mind trading up for Harris. If CK checks out between the ears with Harbaugh, I wouldn't mind a move for him either.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post

Seriously...all off-season we've been talking Prince and Quinn, with an outside shot at Gabbert. I had no idea we liked Aldon so much. Parcells had him rated as a 1st rounder though and Baalke got his start under Parcells, so it makes sense there too.

Comment

• I'm assuming that no one has watched any games of Aldon Smith...

All you have to do is watch him, and you can see his natural pass rush and how well he uses his hands. You can also see how easy of a transition he will have to OLB.

Just wait till mid season, and everyone will be appreciating this pick.

Also, Dan, I'd say just about every single 3-4 OLB was a DE in college, and the fact that needs to be said is worrisome...

Comment

• Also, now prepare for the Niners to target Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd.

Then everyone will start to complain about that pick...

Comment

• As long as you never ever ever ask smith to cover he will be fine maybe start playing more 4-3 or something

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information