• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any rookie fa's sign yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
      any rookie fa's sign yet?
      It's my understanding that, it's not legal to do so with the lockout being reinstated.

Correct me if i'm way off base here.
      Originally posted by Babylon
      It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        Okay, Miller can play ILB to DE and going by you abaddon, seems to be a good pick but yet, he's being moved to FB?????

I'm sorry, maybe im just stupid but WTF?????
        Strange to me as well but maybe only way he as a shot of making it in the league. Remember 49ers did the same thing with Brit Miller a few years back.

Really like the Colin Jones pick. Love this quote by him:
        Jones described himself as a blue-collar player who loved to play special teams. That promises to be his role in 2011.
        ST coverage was disappointing last season and nice to see them add a pick there.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
          Kaepernick to wear #7 and Hunter to wear #32
          Can't believe Kaepernick didn't try to buy #10 off Kyle Williams. They also said that Aldon Smith is choosing between #50 or #96. I think he should go with #58.

Comment

• http://www.sacbee.com/2011/05/01/359...l#mi_rss=49ers

Just read that article by Barrows. A few notes from it -

-RB Kendall Hunter rushed for over 1500 yards in college TWICE. I'm already loving this guy and with Gore an UFA in 2012, he's a steal, good value and possible replacement if we cant re-sign / franchise Gore.

-Like every college 4-3 DE, Aldon Smith will be moved to OLB in our 3-4 scheme and while I wasnt happy about taking him over Prince, if he can be at least half as good as the player he's being compared to, he'll easily surpass any OLB that we've had since switching to the 3-4.

-CB Chris Culliver looks like he'll be moving to safety. Dont like this pick at all especially with his off field issues.

-OL Daniel Kilgore played tackle and guard in college but the 49ers want him to play at center which he hasnt played since high school. Dont like him moving to center and would rather see him beat out Rachal for the RG spot.

-OT Mike Person will be moved inside to guard or center.

-The biggest and perhaps most idiotic move will be that of Bruce Miller. This guy had 35.5 sacks in college as a DE and would be moved to OLB in the 3-4 but yet, the geniuses in SF want to move him to FB?????

Here's an awesome idea - if SF wanted a safety, center, guard/center and fullback, why didnt they just draft a player who actually plays that position on a full time basis? One thing I have always hated is when a team drafts a player and changes his position because it makes no sense to me especially when you could just draft a player at the position that you're switching that other player to.

"He's a football player," Baalke said of Miller. "He led Conference USA in sacks this past year. He was a four-year starter. He's all ball. Those are the kind of guys we're looking for."

The Miller transition just baffles me because you're taking a guy who was good in college and was able to get a lot of sacks and yet, his strengths are being turned into weaknesses and vice versa. UGH. I really hope he shines at OLB so they dont move him period.

As for FB, they should sign McClain when UFA starts or that guy from the Texans (forgot his name).
            Last edited by dan77733; 05-01-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• I am about 90% sure that Harbaugh sees Miller as the same type of player as Marecic. Now I'm not saying he is going to play both ways, but I think that he will fill that sort of roll.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                http://www.sacbee.com/2011/05/01/359...l#mi_rss=49ers

Just read that article by Barrows. A few notes from it -

-RB Kendall Hunter rushed for over 1500 yards in college TWICE. I'm already loving this guy and with Gore an UFA in 2012, he's a steal, good value and possible replacement if we cant re-sign / franchise Gore.

-Like every college 4-3 DE, Aldon Smith will be moved to OLB in our 3-4 scheme and while I wasnt happy about taking him over Prince, if he can be at least half as good as the player he's being compared to, he'll easily surpass any OLB that we've had since switching to the 3-4.

-CB Chris Culliver looks like he'll be moving to safety. Dont like this pick at all especially with his off field issues.

-OL Daniel Kilgore played tackle and guard in college but the 49ers want him to play at center which he hasnt played since high school. Dont like him moving to center and would rather see him beat out Rachal for the RG spot.

-OT Mike Person will be moved inside to guard or center.

-The biggest and perhaps most idiotic move will be that of Bruce Miller. This guy had 35.5 sacks in college as a DE and would be moved to OLB in the 3-4 but yet, the geniuses in SF want to move him to FB?????

Here's an awesome idea - if SF wanted a safety, center, guard/center and fullback, why didnt they just draft a player who actually plays that position on a full time basis? One thing I have always hated is when a team drafts a player and changes his position because it makes no sense to me especially when you could just draft a player at the position that you're switching that other player to.

"He's a football player," Baalke said of Miller. "He led Conference USA in sacks this past year. He was a four-year starter. He's all ball. Those are the kind of guys we're looking for."

The Miller transition just baffles me because you're taking a guy who was good in college and was able to get a lot of sacks and yet, his strengths are being turned into weaknesses and vice versa. UGH. I really hope he shines at OLB so they dont move him period.

As for FB, they should sign McClain when UFA starts or that guy from the Texans (forgot his name).
                Complaining - shocker.

Versatility is a good thing.

Kilgore played tackle and guard in college. Yes. He's almost certainly a guard in the NFL. And the transition from guard to center is not as difficult as you're making it out to be. And if he's able to play G, C, and RT then he's made one roster spot that much more valuable to us as a football team. If he flat out can't snap the damn ball dan, they won't leave him at C. ******* relax.

What are you talking about with this:
                Here's an awesome idea - if SF wanted a safety, center, guard/center and fullback, why didnt they just draft a player who actually plays that position on a full time basis?
                Wanted a safety? Are you talking about Culliver? Because he played Safety and corner.

Safety and Corner.

Safety and Corner.

And as Baalke said, in the nickel you're looking for that tweener anyway.

As far as interior offensive line - almost every late round lineman that's taken that played tackle, transitions inside at the most elite level. And Guard and Center is not the impossible transition you're making it seem.

[sarcasm]Oh God, NOOOOO NOT THE FULLBACK TRANSITION!!!!

Good heavens, what will poor Bruce Miller do? The skillset for Fullback is so tremendously difficult to master. Let's see... go fullspeed (he probably can't do that), ummmm love contact (nope, he played defense...), have a lunch pail attitude/work ethic (no, he seems dead set on only one position), have the ability to contribute on special teams (definitely a prima dona this one is)[/sarcasm]

It's a fullback Dan. We're not exactly talking about the most talented individuals here. And he brings EXCEPTIONAL special teams value. More so than a "a player who actually plays that position on a full time basis". Marecic is the exception, but as they said, they tried to get him and couldn't.

One thing I have always hated is when a team drafts a player and changes his position because it makes no sense to me especially when you could just draft a player at the position that you're switching that other player to when fans do nothing but ***** and complain and pretend they actually know more than the head coach and general manager do. It's almost like they set themselves up for disaster, hoping to be proven wrong so they can feel some extra joy out of it. It's so god damn annoying.

Couldn't agree more.

Comment

• I just have to say I'm disappointed in this draft class as picks and players were not even close to whom I would have chosen at all.I just hope CK can pan out and be a good solid starting QB for us and make the transition really well with our staff.The Aldon Smith pick confused me on day one but I am warming up to the pick now since he will be a stud at DE and we have extreme pressure on both ends of the line now.I love the Ronald Johnson pick in the late rounds.He should bea good slot wr as some of you think he will and could be out the other two wr we have. I'm not to sure on the other picks until I see them play and how they work out.Sadly I don't see us making the play offs unless Smith can pull his head out of his ass and put up some good numbers finally.

Comment

• 49erNation, can you please try and make paragraphs and spell correctly while also using proper grammar? Your posts are difficult to read...

Comment

• Originally posted by 49erNation85 View Post
                      he will be a stud at DE
                      Smith will be OLB.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                        49erNation, can you please try and make paragraphs and spell correctly while also using proper grammar? Your posts are difficult to read...
                        Seriously it's getting ridiculous.
                        Originally posted by 49erNation85
                        I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Not gonna lie I really like your guys draft after those 1st three picks. Obviously Smith & Kapernick have huge upside but I think they are more likely to fall short of their potentials then become stars. I obviously don't have the medical report of Robert Quinn but I just feel like his is a much better player. Just not a fan of Chris Culliver, and to announce him at CB is just...I think the only chance his has in the NFL is FS.

On to the compliments, love Kendall Hunter in the 4th if AZ had not taken Ryan Williams in the 2nd I think he may of very well been our pick in the 3rd. For a guy his size he runs very well inside, hits the hole and is just gone and uses his blocks well, but I think when he gets in space is when he truly shines, he is extremely shifty without ever losing speed. Will need to learn how to block and catch to become a true 3rd down back but I don't see why he can't do that.

Kilgore is just a real bruiser not really starter talent but solid depth.

RoJo was a steal, could very well be a starter for you sooner rather than later could be a solid #2 WR.

Colin Jones is a guy who I really like fits the mold of a special teams ace, extremely athletic and willing to get physical, not really great in pass coverage but a good run stopper, maybe he can be used in short yardage or goal line sets in the future.

I really liked Miller as a late round sleeper at OLB in the 3-4 very surprised to hear you are moving him to FB, and honestly I've never heard of your 7th rounders.

Comment

• Originally posted by fenikz View Post
                            Not gonna lie I really like your guys draft after those 1st three picks. Obviously Smith & Kapernick have huge upside but I think they are more likely to fall short of their potentials then become stars. I obviously don't have the medical report of Robert Quinn but I just feel like his is a much better player. Just not a fan of Chris Culliver, and to announce him at CB is just...I think the only chance his has in the NFL is FS.
                            Thanks. Aldon Smith may "fall short" of his potential, but his ceiling right now is Demarcus Ware, and his floor is in my opinion, significantly higher than Ahmad Brooks or Parys Haralson. That makes it a huge upgrade, combined with a more aggressive defensive coordinator and we could see a large contribution from Aldon right away.

Kaepernick - Once again, his ceiling is so high that i'm not sure where you think he'll end up by saying "fall short" of his potential. And when grading the Kaepernick pick I think you have to grade he and harbaugh as a package deal. If he's anything close to the quarterback developer that he is portrayed as, I see huge things from Kaepernick.

Culliver - I honestly don't know much about him, except from what i've found since learning he was our pick. But I don't think what he's announced as really has any impact on his ability to succeed. In Trent Baalke's explanation of the pick he said that Culliver could impact the secondary right away in the nickel and that when playing that position you're looking for that 'tweener' anyway. The more 6', 200 lb, 4.4 forty guys we can have in the secondary the better. Not to mention the special teams value this kid has.

Originally posted by fenikz
                            On to the compliments, love Kendall Hunter in the 4th if AZ had not taken Ryan Williams in the 2nd I think he may of very well been our pick in the 3rd. For a guy his size he runs very well inside, hits the hole and is just gone and uses his blocks well, but I think when he gets in space is when he truly shines, he is extremely shifty without ever losing speed. Will need to learn how to block and catch to become a true 3rd down back but I don't see why he can't do that.
                            I really like Kendal Hunter too - I think he and Gore will be a great pairing, and I still like Anthony Dixon too. Harbaugh will find away to get Hunter his touches to spell Gore and add some wrinkles i'm sure.

And since you brought up Ryan Williams, I don't think you need me to tell you this but he could easily, easily end up being the best back in this class. Worst case scenario I see him as the #2 behind Ingram (i think detroit is still too committed to Best to give Leshoure a fair shake at being better than either of them).

Kilgore is just a real bruiser not really starter talent but solid depth.
                            I would say that's a fair assessment. His versatility is what really intrigues me, and I guess he's downright nasty. Solid depth for sure, but i wouldn't close the door on him being a starter.

Chilo Rachal - you know what I mean?

RoJo was a steal, could very well be a starter for you sooner rather than later could be a solid #2 WR.
                            Yeah he was a steal, but surprisingly i'm not super stoked about it. I love him as a player, it really has nothing to do with him actually. It's more so about Harbaugh's style of offense.

RB - Gore
                            FB - Miller
                            TE - Davis
                            TE - Walker
                            WR - Crabtree

Miller or Walker come off and are replaced by Morgan - sure he'll contribute in some role when we go three wide, but Harbaugh's MO is a bit more physical than that.

Great player, but I question how much he'll be involved.

Colin Jones is a guy who I really like fits the mold of a special teams ace, extremely athletic and willing to get physical, not really great in pass coverage but a good run stopper, maybe he can be used in short yardage or goal line sets in the future.
                            You and me both. Special teams ace is the best way to describe him, which we desperately need.

I really liked Miller as a late round sleeper at OLB in the 3-4 very surprised to hear you are moving him to FB, and honestly I've never heard of your 7th rounders.
                            He's going to get his shot at OLB but to be honest there's no way he beats out haralson/brooks/lawson (if we keep him). Which means he'd provide some decent depth for us. And that's certainly something he can do while playing fullback for us.

I think this is Harbaugh's Owen Marecic consolation.

Comment

• What gives me some consolation about the Aldon Smith pick is the coaches that were after him. The Texans and Wade Phillips were eying him at the 11 pick. Phillips coached both Merriman and Ware in the last 6 years as premiere OLB's for his 3-4, and Aldon was the OLB he wanted for his new 3-4 defense (he also passed on fan favourite Quinn). Washington also wanted an OLB as they took Ryan Kerrigan. I also think this pick gets criticism because a lot of us locked on to Quinn or Amukamara the entire pre-draft process and almost ignored the other potential picks.

On Kaepernick, he fits the Harbaugh mold of athletic instincts, leadership, and work ethic. All his flows are correctable (doesn't mean they will automatically be corrected, just means they CAN be fixed). He's got great upside but has to ride the pine for a year. I think he'll start opening day 2012 season at the latest, maybe even earlier. Just remember that Harbaugh called Romo and Garrard being solid starters while calling Carr and Harrington as busts.

The Culliver pick is one i'm down on. Feels like Reggie Smith all over again. He does have some interesting tools though, so who knows.
                              Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 05-03-2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• I'm starting to like the Aldon Smith pick because if he can become our franchise pass rusher, we should definitely keep Lawson to play opposite him especially since he's better than Haralson and Brooks. Thats one thing I have said all along, re-sign Lawson and sign/draft a pass rusher opposite him.

The CK pick is a wait and see what happens kind of thing. I just hope that if he doesnt start week one in 2011, they dont throw him in mid-season like they did with Alex back in 2005. Either you start week one or take at least a year before starting him. I hate that in the middle of the season crap.

I hate the Culliver pick.

Love the Hunter and Johnson picks. Kilgore pick is okay and im hoping he stays at guard and beats out Rachal for the starting RG spot.

I think Miller will be our 4th OLB and starting FB. A guy who can get sacks is a guy you dont want to move to offense especially since having an extra sackster would be a huge positive.

I am still worried about NT though. Sopoaga is an UFA in 2012 and will be 30. Dont see him being brough back if he doesnt re-sign before then. Jean-Francois is still a project and remains to be seen as to how he adjusts to possibly being a starter instead of off the bench.

Overall, im not as pissed as I was a few days ago but at the same time, im just hoping that the projects work out good for us sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information