Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The entire NFC West got better holy smokes. I know a lot of these free agents aren't going to all work out for every team, but on paper it looks pretty bad. Especially since the 49ers didn't really do anything except get worse by losing a lot of their starters and not replacing them.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
      The entire NFC West got better holy smokes. I know a lot of these free agents aren't going to all work out for every team, but on paper it looks pretty bad. Especially since the 49ers didn't really do anything except get worse by losing a lot of their starters and not replacing them.
      True, but who have any of them signed that will REALLY have an impact? Seattle secondary is still horrible and they got rid of their best defender in Lofa. Sidney Rice was a good get but look who's throwing him the ball.

MSW is wildly inconsistent and seems to always be hurt. The Rams LBs still blow and Dahl is a stop gap along their line. And did they add a second RB for depth because we all know Steven Jackson will get hurt and miss a few games.

And don't even get me started on Kolb(excuse me, AJ Feely 2.0). Obviously he's a upgrade over Skleton and Hall but we were sweeping the Cards when they had Warner and Boldin. Forgive me if Im not easily impressed with KK. Marshall will make every Niner fan happy with the amount of big plays he will give up. Still weak at LB and O-Line. Todd Heap is their only addition that truly scares me because of Lawson's departure.

NFC West is still WIDE OPEN. And I like the fact everyone is now picking us to finish dead last in the division, seeing as every time the team was a pre-season favorite(2007 and 2010), we fell flat on our faces. Harbs is MUCH too competitive to just tank a season. We will be competitve and we will win our fair share. Im saying 8-8 right now, with the roster the way it is.
      Last edited by VAfy-ya; 08-02-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• And it seems like our draft is paying off already. From what I've been reading, Aldon, CK, RoJo, Hunter, and Culliver have all been turning heads at camp. And you can add UDFAs Reuland, Williams, and Rowe to that list as well.

Comment

Don't forget Sopoaga is taking Franklin's place. Franklin is now a Saint.
          slipped my mind; thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
            And it seems like our draft is paying off already. From what I've been reading, Aldon, CK, RoJo, Hunter, and Culliver have all been turning heads at camp. And you can add UDFAs Reuland, Williams, and Rowe to that list as well.
            It would not surprise me at all if Ronald Johnson is the #2 or #3 WR once the season starts. I am a HUGE fan after watching him at USC.

Comment

And it seems like our draft is paying off already. From what I've been reading, Aldon, CK, RoJo, Hunter, and Culliver have all been turning heads at camp. And you can add UDFAs Reuland, Williams, and Rowe to that list as well.
              One of the benefits to not having many established starters - UDFAs want to come to try out for spots.

Comment

I'm really excited about the draft class. Especially Aldon, from what Barrows has said he seems like a natural. Even Scott Wright said he has the potential to be the best defensive player in this class. Culliver also has a shot to win a starting job here and i hope he can make a positive impact.

BTW, Schefter is reporting that CB Carlos Rogers will visit us tonight and tomorrow. Maiocco has also reported that C Jonathin Goodwin was at 49ers practice earlier.

Comment

• Practice report day 4

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...d-not-so-good/

The Good

Aldon Smith. He lined up at right outside linebacker with the first team defense and he was in Colin Kaepernick’s face repeatedly. On one play he beat Joe Staley badly to the inside.
                  Good to hear, but in TC you always wonder...is Aldon really that good, or is the OL just that bad?

The not so good

Joe Staley. He had a tough time protecting Kaepernick’s blind side today. On the play when Aldon Smith beat him to the inside, Staley was beaten so badly it look like he tried to trip Smith, sticking out his right leg as a last resort. Staley will have to figure out a new strategy to stop the rookie pass rusher in future practices.

Comment

• Damn! Yes! Finally some good news. That blurb definitely made me chuckle. Hopefully this translates to the actual field against real opponents and hopefully our new defensive coordinator isn't afraid to let the dogs loose.

Comment

True, but who have any of them signed that will REALLY have an impact? Seattle secondary is still horrible and they got rid of their best defender in Lofa. Sidney Rice was a good get but look who's throwing him the ball.

MSW is wildly inconsistent and seems to always be hurt. The Rams LBs still blow and Dahl is a stop gap along their line. And did they add a second RB for depth because we all know Steven Jackson will get hurt and miss a few games.

And don't even get me started on Kolb(excuse me, AJ Feely 2.0). Obviously he's a upgrade over Skleton and Hall but we were sweeping the Cards when they had Warner and Boldin. Forgive me if Im not easily impressed with KK. Marshall will make every Niner fan happy with the amount of big plays he will give up. Still weak at LB and O-Line. Todd Heap is their only addition that truly scares me because of Lawson's departure.

NFC West is still WIDE OPEN. And I like the fact everyone is now picking us to finish dead last in the division, seeing as every time the team was a pre-season favorite(2007 and 2010), we fell flat on our faces. Harbs is MUCH too competitive to just tank a season. We will be competitve and we will win our fair share. Im saying 8-8 right now, with the roster the way it is.
                      Well the Rams also added Quinton Mikell. Seattle has Zach Miller now too. The thing is their teams got better. Yes the NFC West is still wide open, but the fact of the matter is those teams got better...at least on paper. And we got worse...on paper. I guess we'll see though. If you think about our defense and who have to stop all of those additions, it doesn't look good. Yes guys like Sims-Walker can be inconsistent and might be hurt, on the other hand he could blow up and be a good receiver. It's either or. At least those guys have established rep though.

Comment

• With all that work, hopefully it will make Staley a better pass protector as well

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                          It would not surprise me at all if Ronald Johnson is the #2 or #3 WR once the season starts. I am a HUGE fan after watching him at USC.
                          According to Miaocco, he's been the best looking WR so far. It will be very interesting when Crabs comes back from injury who will start. Can't remeber hearing about so many rookies looking this good, this early into TC. Way too early, but this might be our best draft in years if these guys keep progressing and getting better.
                          Last edited by VAfy-ya; 08-02-2011, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Well the Rams also added Quinton Mikell. Seattle has Zach Miller now too. The thing is their teams got better. Yes the NFC West is still wide open, but the fact of the matter is those teams got better...at least on paper. And we got worse...on paper. I guess we'll see though. If you think about our defense and who have to stop all of those additions, it doesn't look good. Yes guys like Sims-Walker can be inconsistent and might be hurt, on the other hand he could blow up and be a good receiver. It's either or. At least those guys have established rep though.
                            I understand what your saying but I look at it as addition thru subtraction. The only player I feel that was a big loss was Franklin. I think the world of Lawson, but again 3-4 OLBs #1 job is to get to the QB. That was the weak link in his game. Sure we will miss some elements of his game but if Aldon Smith keeps up the high praises from camp, then it was well worth the trade off. Clements, Spikes, and Goldson.....not worried about losing them. We have younger, talented players ready to step into Spike's role. Clements was our best CB, but if we sign a guy like Rodgers or trade for a guy like Samuels it wont be much of a loss. And I've made my feelings known about how much I like Reggie Smith(had two ints in practice today) so not concerned with replacing Goldson's production. So yes, they rest of the division may have added peices, but we're still a talented team on both sides of the ball(well maybe not CB@the moment).

Comment

I understand what your saying but I look at it as addition thru subtraction. The only player I feel that was a big loss was Franklin. I think the world of Lawson, but again 3-4 OLBs #1 job is to get to the QB. That was the weak link in his game. Sure we will miss some elements of his game but if Aldon Smith keeps up the high praises from camp, then it was well worth the trade off. Clements, Spikes, and Goldson.....not worried about losing them. We have younger, talented players ready to step into Spike's role. Clements was our best CB, but if we sign a guy like Rodgers or trade for a guy like Samuels it wont be much of a loss. And I've made my feelings known about how much I like Reggie Smith(had two ints in practice today) so not concerned with replacing Goldson's production. So yes, they rest of the division may have added peices, but we're still a talented team on both sides of the ball(well maybe not CB@the moment).
                              Yeah well the thing is that we are moving slow as hell to replace some of the starters that were actually either good or worth keeping...at least worth resigning at a lower price like Clements. Baas well. I don't care about Lawson and Goldson they can GTFO. But losing Baas and Clements and moving super slow to replace them, and then finally replacing them with either scrubs or backups is not sitting with me. I can only hope Harbaugh/Baalke knows something that everyone else doesn't. It's a new regime so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but this isn't making me excited as a fan. The good news (maybe) is that it won't really matter anyways until the 49ers get a quarterback.

Comment

• I've gotten over my initial frustration (outside of the DB depth-chart, of which I'm still frustrated), but I'm taking solace in this...

The other NFL franchises are showing that they don't LOVE the 49ers FA's much more than Harbaalke. We're flipping out because we've developed a fanatical (good or bad) relationship with these players, when in reality, maybe they aren't that good.

Harbaalke allows a player to sign elsewhere because (he's not that much better than our very young backup, and not worth much money.) We flip out, and then these ex-49ers sign 1 year deals for next to pennies. Evidently the other teams agree with Harbaalke.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information