This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
    On to week 3 against the Bengals...i don't even want to think about the Cowboys game. A heartbreaking loss like that is going to take a while to forget.
    I'm still debating if I want to watch the DirectTV "Shortcuts" version of that game tomorrow.

I am looking forward to seeing how this team performs with the dreaded 10am start time. Would love to have Edwards, Crabs, and Goldson all back for this game. Tired of Reggie Smith and Williams playing center field out there and Goldson would be a HUGE upgrade.

Comment

• 49ers better beat the Bengals. The secondary needs to play a lot better especially at safety. And I hope if we get in another close contest we don't play soft again and keep giving up slants. It was ridiculous how open the Cowboys receivers were getting in today's game. I know players like Witten and Austin are good, but they were just way too open.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• If the Niners lose to the Bengals with their team of Ex-Niners cast-offs, I'll be livid.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
        Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
          If the Niners lose to the Bengals with their rookie QB, who shouldn't pose a threat to our secondary.
          Fixed it for you. Also, "shouldn't" being the keyword there. Of course that is subjunctive, so odds are he'll throw for 320 yards and we lose.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
            49ers better beat the Bengals. The secondary needs to play a lot better especially at safety. And I hope if we get in another close contest we don't play soft again and keep giving up slants. It was ridiculous how open the Cowboys receivers were getting in today's game. I know players like Witten and Austin are good, but they were just way too open.
            Those plays are going to be there against good offenses because a.) We don't have a dominant pass-rusher which teams have to keep a extra blocker in for and b.) We dont have a great man cover CB. We still have to scheme pressure so it creates holes in coverages. Good QBs in good offenses can find those holes more readily than guys like Tavaris Jackson or Jason Campbell. So when we blitz, we better get there or you see what happened Sunday. Still think Fangio played zone far too much for my liking but Im not sure how much of the defense has been installed to this point so that may be a factor. But don't forget, we're playing without our starting FS and our #2 CB in Spencer so the back-end should be more stout when they return. And love what I've seen from Whitner, Brock and Rodgers. We may not be great but were better than last year.

The good news is after the Eagles game, we won't see another high-powered offense again for the rest of the year. The Lions look tough as of now but hopefully by that time guys will be healthy and we'll be hitting our stride. The Bucs don't really scare me and we should be pumped to excat some revenge from last year. The Ravens and the Steelers will be tough games but neither has the utter mis-matches on offense the way the 'girls and the Eagles do. Onward and upward.....

As far as the Bengals, it won't be the as easy as most are expecting. They have a active D-Line with alot of bodies and combinations they can throw at you. Dunlap is a stud and he will be a good test for our tackles. Inside, Sims, Atkins, and Peko will be formidable. Their LBs are fast and athletic. Secondary is a weakness. Benson is a strictly downhill runner, which plays right into our hands as were stout against the run. He doesn't cut against the grain or bounce runs to the outside so he should be someone we can contain.
            Last edited by VAfy-ya; 09-19-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
              Secondary is a weakness.
              Just like the Cowboys. I'm sure we'll try HB dive plays up the middle 75% of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                Just like the Cowboys. I'm sure we'll try HB dive plays up the middle 75% of the time.
                But they dont have the horses up front like Dallas and a guy like Ryan sending all these crazy fronts and looks. It still starts upfront and the O-Line has to be better. Not opening holes in the running game only hurts us when its time to throw. Not picking up blitzers and allowing sacks gives us negative plays in which this offense doesn't have the ability to overcome at this point. When Alex had time, he found guys. When he was running for his life, not so much. The O-Line is the major thing holding this offense back at this point. Its factoring into the play-calling. Im giving them 2 more games before I think we need to make some changes. And for the love of God, can we cut Norris already? I'd rather take my chances with the rookie Miller. His performance against the 'Hawks was putrid and he didnt look particulary stout against Dallas. Enough is enough already.
                Last edited by VAfy-ya; 09-19-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

And for the love of God, can we cut Norris already? I'd rather take my chances with the rookie Miller. His performance against the 'Hawks was putrid and he didnt look particulary stout against Dallas. Enough is enough already.
                  according to Barrows, he was seen today with a boot on, sooo...

Comment

• Alex Smith tossed two touchdown passes and finished the game with a 99.1 NFL passer rating. He has completed at least two-thirds of his attempts in each of his first two starts under coach Jim Harbaugh. Previously, Smith had not put together such games consecutively since the 2006 season.
                    Thats good stuff. But I also want to see Alex audible more. There were times Sunday where he could have checked to something to migate the blitz but he just ran a play that went nowhere. It was one instant where Roman called play-action and you could tell Ryan was about some funky kind of blitz and but Alex ran it anyway it was blown-up for a sack. He has the authority to change the protection and the play so I'd like to see him take command at the line more in those instances.

Comment

Thats good stuff. But I also want to see Alex audible more. There were times Sunday where he could have checked to something to migate the blitz but he just ran a play that went nowhere. It was one instant where Roman called play-action and you could tell Ryan was about some funky kind of blitz and but Alex ran it anyway it was blown-up for a sack. He has the authority to change the protection and the play so I'd like to see him take command at the line more in those instances.
                      It's sad that a seven year veteran still can't audible.

Alex has been completing a good amount of his passes, so that is the good news, but Harbaugh and company need to let him have more freedom and air it out more. He'll be lucky to reach 2000 yards passing at this rate. Really, might as well since the run game is terrible. The pass blocking isnt great, but it seems a lot better than the run blocking thus far. Maybe it's part of Harbaugh's strategy. Either he's trying to build Alex's confidence back up, or he knows Alex's limitations and doesn't want him to make boneheaded mistakes. That and the offense probably isn't installed up to this point too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                        Fixed it for you. Also, "shouldn't" being the keyword there. Of course that is subjunctive, so odds are he'll throw for 320 yards and we lose.
                        There is a good chance Dalton has a career performance against the 49ers. Start Dalton if you have him in fantasy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                          It's sad that a seven year veteran still can't audible.

Alex has been completing a good amount of his passes, so that is the good news, but Harbaugh and company need to let him have more freedom and air it out more. He'll be lucky to reach 2000 yards passing at this rate. Really, might as well since the run game is terrible. The pass blocking isnt great, but it seems a lot better than the run blocking thus far. Maybe it's part of Harbaugh's strategy. Either he's trying to build Alex's confidence back up, or he knows Alex's limitations and doesn't want him to make boneheaded mistakes. That and the offense probably isn't installed up to this point too much.
                          He's falling into the same mistake Raye did though. When you try to the run the ball and can't, you end up putting your QB in third and long, which is terrible for all QBs.

Comment

• The 49ers should just blow their money on the highest priced free agents for offensive line in the offseason, because obviously the draft isn't working.

Comment

• The offensive line has been terrible. Frank Gore can't do anything when he runs into a wall behind the LOS. Alex Smith can't throw clean passes over 10 yards when he can't go back into his full drop back. Jim Harbaugh can't take chances for more points when the O-Line is getting blown out on every play.

It's great to see all those 1st round invesments have been paying off.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
                                The offensive line has been terrible. Frank Gore can't do anything when he runs into a wall behind the LOS. Alex Smith can't throw clean passes over 10 yards when he can't go back into his full drop back. Jim Harbaugh can't take chances for more points when the O-Line is getting blown out on every play.

It's great to see all those 1st round invesments have been paying off.

I think it's funny when people say that Harbaugh is being conservative all because of Alex. Alex has been one of our best players the first two games, and even in preseason/TC. He's converted in some really difficult predicaments. The conservative Offense IMO is more an indictment on the Oline. You never know when they are going to get blown up and cause a sack or fumble. Staley has been terrible specifically, and it seems like no one can run-block.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information