Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pats should get a LB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pats should get a LB

    I think if USC's mathews or cushing is there they should pick one of them. I think those guys could step up and add to the LB core which as gone from old to a new step of guys. And Vrabel being gone leaves the only hole in this team which is looking very strong. Vrabel was a big asset to the team. THoughts on Vrabel? and young LBS they should consider?

  • #2
    Originally posted by darthjake16 View Post
    I think if USC's mathews or cushing is there they should pick one of them. I think those guys could step up and add to the LB core which as gone from old to a new step of guys. And Vrabel being gone leaves the only hole in this team which is looking very strong. Vrabel was a big asset to the team. THoughts on Vrabel? and young LBS they should consider?
    Not breaking any new ground here for the Pats going after a LB. The thing i'm not sure about is what they really think about some of the younger guys they've drafted recently like Crable and others. With 6 picks in the top 100 they may even take two. My preferance of those realistically who could be available:

    Connor Barwin
    Clay Matthews
    Brian Cushing
    Rey Maualuga
    James Laurinaitis
    Aaron Maybin
    Clint Sintim
    Scott Mckillop

    Give me two of those please.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't think BB will reach for clay matthews with 23 or 34. Clay Matthews has clearly improved his stock but he's not a legit first rounder, definitely round mid-late round 2, early round 2 being a slight reach.

      Some LB hungry team (possibly the pats...) might go after him around 34 unfortunately.

      Even though Rey has character concerns, I would much rather him inside because I like a Mayo/Rey Adalius/Crable rotation over a Mayo/Bruschi Adalius/Matthews.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cdf_2108 View Post
        I don't think BB will reach for clay matthews with 23 or 34. Clay Matthews has clearly improved his stock but he's not a legit first rounder, definitely round mid-late round 2, early round 2 being a slight reach.

        Some LB hungry team (possibly the pats...) might go after him around 34 unfortunately.

        Even though Rey has character concerns, I would much rather him inside because I like a Mayo/Rey Adalius/Crable rotation over a Mayo/Bruschi Adalius/Matthews.

        I'll take a Barwin/Mayo/Adalius/Matthews rotation over all of them. Would probably have to consolodate some of those 2nds and 3rds to do that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Adalius was a bust inside if you ask me. Some of his games were somewhat painful to watch. I'd rather keep him outside where he has put some pressure on the QB. My ideal rotation would be:

          Jason Taylor - Jerod Mayo - Rey Maualuga - Adalius Thomas

          If New England drafted someone like Clay Matthews Jr. or Connor Barwin at #34, they'd have someone to groom for a year or two behind Taylor. Crable would be able to eventually take over for Thomas (when he gets old, move him inside, I guess), and Maualuga could split time with Tedy Bruschi, Gary Guyton subbing in for Jerod Mayo every now and then. Give the team some good depth.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think we will take 2 LBs day 1. If we could get Maualuga in the first I would be thrilled, he and Mayo could be ridiculous together for years. I would not be suprised to see us go LB at 23 and 34, there are a lot of guys who are great fits for our defense in a year where we are starved for LB talent and we have plenty of picks. The time is now to revamp our defense.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Babylon View Post
              I'll take a Barwin/Mayo/Adalius/Matthews rotation over all of them. Would probably have to consolodate some of those 2nds and 3rds to do that.
              Barwin is projected to be on the Outside though, don't think he could make the transition to inside with such limited experience on defense. If you want to put barwin and matthews on the outside and put Adalius back inside I feel that would be a waste of what Adalius does best, rush the passer.

              If you want barwin and matthews you could probably get matthews at 23 and barwin at 34 but like I said, I don't think we should draft 2 OLB unless it's a severe BPA scenario, we definitely need to get a DE/OLB + ILB + S + BPA with our 4 day 1 picks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Another thing is our defense is at its best when we have a lot of LB depth and we can do a lot of rotating, keeping everyone fresh. If we add a guy like Jason Taylor I would still hope we target 2 day LBs. As ROP said, Thomas is best suited outside and we need another starting ILB which I hope could be Maualuga at pick 23. At 34, guys like Barwin and Matthews are too good of ftis for what we do to pass them up if available (we could possibly even take one of them at 23).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                  Adalius was a bust inside if you ask me. Some of his games were somewhat painful to watch. I'd rather keep him outside where he has put some pressure on the QB. My ideal rotation would be:

                  Jason Taylor - Jerod Mayo - Rey Maualuga - Adalius Thomas

                  If New England drafted someone like Clay Matthews Jr. or Connor Barwin at #34, they'd have someone to groom for a year or two behind Taylor. Crable would be able to eventually take over for Thomas (when he gets old, move him inside, I guess), and Maualuga could split time with Tedy Bruschi, Gary Guyton subbing in for Jerod Mayo every now and then. Give the team some good depth.
                  I really like this rotation. Apparently Jason Taylor to the Pats is a foregone conclusion so this is definitely a realistic rotation. I like the idea of Crable behind Thomas and Matthews/Barwin behind Taylor.

                  Do you think we trade up to get Rey if he's available at say, 17, 18? Especially if we think we can get Barwin/Matthews at 34/58 (i.e. package our late 2nd rounder to get a higher 1st rounder, don't think it would take 23+34 to get up to 17/18, probably 23 + 58, although I don't have that draft chart)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cdf_2108 View Post
                    Barwin is projected to be on the Outside though, don't think he could make the transition to inside with such limited experience on defense. If you want to put barwin and matthews on the outside and put Adalius back inside I feel that would be a waste of what Adalius does best, rush the passer.

                    If you want barwin and matthews you could probably get matthews at 23 and barwin at 34 but like I said, I don't think we should draft 2 OLB unless it's a severe BPA scenario, we definitely need to get a DE/OLB + ILB + S + BPA with our 4 day 1 picks.

                    I have Barwin on the outside also, not sure the confusion there. Not sure the love of Maualuga by so many, the guy is a 2 down player and he isnt instinctive, will make a highlight reel but isnt going to help your defense. Will concede that Matthews and Barwin wont both be coming out of the draft to N.E.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                      Adalius was a bust inside if you ask me. Some of his games were somewhat painful to watch. I'd rather keep him outside where he has put some pressure on the QB. My ideal rotation would be:

                      Jason Taylor - Jerod Mayo - Rey Maualuga - Adalius Thomas

                      If New England drafted someone like Clay Matthews Jr. or Connor Barwin at #34, they'd have someone to groom for a year or two behind Taylor. Crable would be able to eventually take over for Thomas (when he gets old, move him inside, I guess), and Maualuga could split time with Tedy Bruschi, Gary Guyton subbing in for Jerod Mayo every now and then. Give the team some good depth.
                      I couldn't agree more with this post....however i'm not high on either of the 2 OLB's form USC.....i'd take my chances with Barwin over either of then

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If the PATS want Matthews or Barwin they might have to take them at 23. In fact they might have to trade up to get Matthews.

                        I think Matthews is just a late bloomer. He's going to be a stud.

                        Barwin might eventually be better than him.

                        I love Maualuga but not in the PATS style of 3-4. He likes hitting small guys. He doesn't take on guards or shed them well.

                        Don't be shocked if the PATS take Alex Mack in round one. If their is a run on LB's before we pick they might not wait the next 10 to get the LB they like. They also might target someone and trade up to get him. But is there are a lot of LB's left they might think they can get the one they want at 34 and use 23 for something suprising.

                        A guy like Mack could start at RG and we could move Neal to tackle. He's played RT for the PATS before. That might be a pretty strong line with depth. The PATS line doesn't get their due. They had a real good rushing team last year, even with all the injuries.

                        Remember they have 3 second roound picks. If there is a run on LB after we took Mack we could always trade back up to get the LB we wanted. Our draft allows us to target people.

                        We probably already have an understanding with Taylor. As soon as he was cut I called my brothers from Africa and told them we would sign Taylor.

                        I like Jasper Brinkley a lot. He will remind you guys of Vincent Brown and Ted Johnson or going further back Sam "Big Backer" Hunt. I think he will be an All Pro. Before his injury he was the best ILB in college and that includes Laurinaitis and Maualuga. I'd take him in round 2 because I bet he will be gone by the time we pick at 89...and we can't trade 97 to sweeten a move up.

                        Even if we take Mack, I think we will take an OLB with our next pick (#34 or higher).

                        I like Barwin. I think Matthews will be gone and I might like Barwin more than Matthews. I keep going back and forth on that. Matthews Pro Day will make that decision for me. It's hard to fault Barwin, led his conference in sacks with 11. He had a lot of tackles. He runs under 4.5 at olmost 260 lbs and had a vertical leap of over 41 inches...that is amazing. He's a great athlete who played TE so he understands passing routes to some extent and has seen it from the other side, he's bright and has a non stop motor and wants to be great.

                        Matthews is about 10+ pounds lighter but has a lot of the same attributes. He was a walk on at one of the biggest and best schools in the country and the family plays football for a long time....he will too. If he runs under 4.6 on April 1st I think we would have to trade up to get him. He could go as high as #11.

                        What do you guys think of this.

                        We take Mack at 23.
                        Trade a third and 34 to move back into the first because there is a run on LB and they want to get Barwin. So now they take Barwin.
                        at #47 we take Patrick Chung
                        and at #58 we take Jasper Brinkley
                        and we sign Jason Taylor.

                        If you look at our depth chart with that day one group, I think we could duplicate 2007. Galloway was the fastest person on Tampa and before he got hurt he had three consecutive 1000 yard seasons. He's like Stallworth (same size) but with talent. He's a great route runner and has real good hands and tremendous speed...add Fred Taylor and a healthy Maroney and Brady. Leigh Bodden will be a stud in this D and so will Springs.

                        Sorry I'm so long winded but this is my only entertainment and I just took a cold bucket shower so I'm all geared up. I'm flying back for the draft in a week.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them take an OL in round 1, though I would suspect they'd be looking for a tackle that high rather than an interior guy.

                          Just my opinion and I know I'm in the minority but I think 34 is way too early for Barwin. He was tied for the conference lead in sacks with Cody Brown.. so why not just wait until round three and take Brown who also had more tackles and TFL's than Barwin, did it for more than one year, and has actually played LB before. Regardless, if they are signing Taylor then they really have no need to draft an OLB early. Last year they only carried 4 OLB's on the active roster so if they sign Taylor and draft an early OLB, that means only one of Crable, Redd, and Banta-Cain make the roster this year. I wouldn't cry over Banta-Cain getting cut but if they are as high on Redd as what we hear, then they probably don't want to lose him.

                          I like Chung at 47.

                          I think 58 is way too early for Brinkley who is a 2 down LB and is coming off a major injury.
                          **
                          2012 Patriots Anti-Draft

                          1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

                          2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

                          3 Anyone but Wolfe

                          **

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TNPatsFan View Post
                            Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them take an OL in round 1, though I would suspect they'd be looking for a tackle that high rather than an interior guy.

                            Just my opinion and I know I'm in the minority but I think 34 is way too early for Barwin. He was tied for the conference lead in sacks with Cody Brown.. so why not just wait until round three and take Brown who also had more tackles and TFL's than Barwin, did it for more than one year, and has actually played LB before. Regardless, if they are signing Taylor then they really have no need to draft an OLB early. Last year they only carried 4 OLB's on the active roster so if they sign Taylor and draft an early OLB, that means only one of Crable, Redd, and Banta-Cain make the roster this year. I wouldn't cry over Banta-Cain getting cut but if they are as high on Redd as what we hear, then they probably don't want to lose him.

                            I like Chung at 47.

                            I think 58 is way too early for Brinkley who is a 2 down LB and is coming off a major injury.


                            We need a 2 down run stopper. We going to have nickel and die coverage and 3 safety alignments A LOT. Our offense has more talent than it did in '07.

                            Brinkley is the best ILB in this draft. If he hadn't gotten hurt he would be a #1. I think he is going to be a real great player and a much better fit for our D then Laurinaitis or Maualuga.

                            I like Chung at 47 too.

                            Here's my take on Barwin. He's an incredible athlete who has a high football IQ. He was productive his senior year and has huge upside. He can learn behind Bruschi, Taylor and Thomas for a year and contribute as much as is needed.

                            I don't think that waiting on a player and hoping he'll be there when you want to pick him is smart. If you like him go get him and who cares what number you get him...you just get him. Brinkley will give us something we lack and once he's fully back from his injury, and it looks like he's coming around we're actually getting him cheap. If he hadn't been injured he'd have gone in the first. If he's healthy then you get a first round talent in round two...that's a steal not a reach.

                            I don't set up my draft board like other do I look at what the player does well and what he doesn't and then rank them by position and overall. He is going to be value at a need position. That's a win win to me. Just my opinion

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bhyg View Post
                              Don't be shocked if the PATS take Alex Mack in round one. If their is a run on LB's before we pick they might not wait the next 10 to get the LB they like. They also might target someone and trade up to get him. But is there are a lot of LB's left they might think they can get the one they want at 34 and use 23 for something suprising.

                              A guy like Mack could start at RG and we could move Neal to tackle. He's played RT for the PATS before. That might be a pretty strong line with depth. The PATS line doesn't get their due. They had a real good rushing team last year, even with all the injuries.

                              Remember they have 3 second roound picks. If there is a run on LB after we took Mack we could always trade back up to get the LB we wanted. Our draft allows us to target people.

                              We probably already have an understanding with Taylor. As soon as he was cut I called my brothers from Africa and told them we would sign Taylor.

                              I like Jasper Brinkley a lot. He will remind you guys of Vincent Brown and Ted Johnson or going further back Sam "Big Backer" Hunt. I think he will be an All Pro. Before his injury he was the best ILB in college and that includes Laurinaitis and Maualuga. I'd take him in round 2 because I bet he will be gone by the time we pick at 89...and we can't trade 97 to sweeten a move up.

                              Even if we take Mack, I think we will take an OLB with our next pick (#34 or higher).

                              I like Barwin. I think Matthews will be gone and I might like Barwin more than Matthews. I keep going back and forth on that. Matthews Pro Day will make that decision for me. It's hard to fault Barwin, led his conference in sacks with 11. He had a lot of tackles. He runs under 4.5 at olmost 260 lbs and had a vertical leap of over 41 inches...that is amazing. He's a great athlete who played TE so he understands passing routes to some extent and has seen it from the other side, he's bright and has a non stop motor and wants to be great.

                              Matthews is about 10+ pounds lighter but has a lot of the same attributes. He was a walk on at one of the biggest and best schools in the country and the family plays football for a long time....he will too. If he runs under 4.6 on April 1st I think we
                              I don't think Neal could play tackle, and he can't stay healthy and is older than Kazcur, who is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Could he be upgraded? Oh yea. Does he need to be upgraded at the expense of getting a starter on defense, unless a guy like Oher falls then no. Moving Neal to tackle makes us worse and older at tackle, while getting better and younger at guard. We need defense....bad.
                              Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information