No announcement yet.

2009 & 2010 Patriots Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maroney needs a change of scenery in the worst way. Atlanta would be a great place for him to end up if Turner continues to burn out.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Ya, I'm done with Maroney. I was a huge fan, and he was the guy I wanted the Pats to draft that year...but I'm done. He might be great somewhere else, but it's time for the Pats to bring someone else in.

If they're in a position to get CJ Spiller, that's who I want in 2010.

All the other weak spots on the team have gotten stronger and stronger as the weeks go by. It's really hard to gauge their real needs.

Comment

CJ Spiller would be a better fit for what we do with the ball. At the very least he would be a competent replacement to Kevin Faulk. I wouldn't take him in the first though. I would rather bolster our line or receiving core, or draft an OLB capable of generating a pass rush.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Maroney wouldn't crack the lineup in Atlanta. Norwood is a solid change of pace back and Turner is far from burning out. He is as good as he looked last year. The only difference is the schedule. Playing the AFC West + the Rams & Lions makes it easy to show off your talent. Swapping those scrub teams for the AFC & NFC East makes a world of difference.

Oline & OLB have to be the top picks in 2010. I don't care if it means spending our 1st (#32!!) and Tennessee's 2nd (#33!!) on 2 OLBs to make sure we end up with one solid player for the next decade.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Tully Banta-Cain and Willie Mcginest are the only OLB's the Patriots have ever drafted that have ended up being regular starters for them. McGinest only had one 10+ sack season (1995). The Patriots just don't draft early enough in the draft to get someone who would fit into what they want to do with the position outside of free agency or developing a late round pick.

Burgess and TBC are becoming more versatile each week. Burgess was brought in late... I think the two are a solid tandem and are getting better. I don't see anyone in the draft that will be available to them who will be able to start over what the Pats already have. The only guy I'd see them taking in the first round is Greg Hardy.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
              Tully Banta-Cain and Willie Mcginest are the only OLB's the Patriots have ever drafted that have ended up being regular starters for them. McGinest only had one 10+ sack season (1995). The Patriots just don't draft early enough in the draft to get someone who would fit into what they want to do with the position outside of free agency or developing a late round pick.

Burgess and TBC are becoming more versatile each week. Burgess was brought in late... I think the two are a solid tandem and are getting better. I don't see anyone in the draft that will be available to them who will be able to start over what the Pats already have. The only guy I'd see them taking in the first round is Greg Hardy.
              I hope you're wrong. We continue to lag behind other teams in terms of pressuring the quarterback. Burgess and Banta Cain might be versatile, but they aren't starters on a 3-4 team with competent linebackers. We know that. Neither of them played a whole hell of a lot for their respective teams(both of whom had rather weak pass rushers as well) last year. Tully is a useful depth player because he can situationally pass rush, but he isn't useful beyond that. Poor when he's doing anything else than running in the backfield. Pierre Woods isn't a starter for anyone else either. He just isn't all that talented. Shawn Crable hasn't played in two years and it wouldn't surprise me if he never takes a snap for up. Rob Ninkovich isn't Mike Vrabel and we're so desperate for depth that we brought in Junior yet again.

Finding guys late isn't a bad idea, you can do that...but you have to take them. There were guys to be had after the first round last year but we didn't pull the trigger. We came away with an extremely decent class of guys, but we also didn't do anything to fill a legit need where there were guys staring us right in the face. Clay Matthews, Connor Barwin, Everette Brown, Rey Maualuga(who is looking really good at SSLB)...we passed on all of them and all of those guys have gotten playing time already for their respective teams. You can't just go on for years without addressing an issue. We got old fast at the linebacker position and we haven't done anything really besides bring in a bunch of scrubs and hope for the best.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I couldn't agree more. An OLB with pass rushing ability is what we need still in the worse way.
                Just bc the rookie might not be able to make an immediate impact is no reason to not draft one.
                That's what grooming is all about. At least we addressed the issue.
                -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Nate Collins UVA DE/DT: What do you guys think of him. I haven't seen him play but he was getting praise in another thread. Sounded like an interesting prospect and someone we could definitely use
                  -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

i dont know about you guys, but maroney has looked great the last few weeks. hitting the hole hard, not too much dancing, hes been pretty damn good imo.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

Originally posted by proshoota25 View Post
                      i dont know about you guys, but maroney has looked great the last few weeks. hitting the hole hard, not too much dancing, hes been pretty damn good imo.
                      I saw dancing. He's been better, but he still clicks his heels together(practically) on every run.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Seriously give me Eric Norwood and I will be happy.

#MoncriefArmy

Comment

I would love Eric Norwood. I don't think we'll see him as a good fit though. We've stayed away from a number of guys with that build again and again. Ricky Sapp wouldn't be a bad second round pick for us either if we're going to be stingy about height again, but the main name I want at this point is Jerry Hughes.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Here's what I'd say my wish list looks like right now for OLB, just because that is our biggest need.

1a. Sergio Kindle-He is a freak of nature, big and super athletic. He has been a terrifying pass rusher and has experience at DE as well as LB.

1b. Greg Hardy-I may be a bit biased, but I think Hardy could be a monster for us. He could be the best pass rusher in the nation when 100%, but he is not just a wave rusher. Hardy is great against the run and goes back into coverage a lot, he is a complete player. He doesn't miss tackles and he gets off his blocks. A little testament to how athletic Hardy is, he played a little WR for Ole Miss his freshman and sophmore years and came down with 3 TD catches and even played a year of basketball for us as a frosh where he was the first forward off the bench. He just needs to stay healthy.

3. Everson Griffin*-Everyone knows the physical ability Griffin has, but know he is starting to produce on the field. If he declares he will probably show up to Indy at 6-3 265 running no worse than the mid 4.6s. Dude is a monster.

4. Brandon Graham-Many people don't mention Graham when talking about the top 3-4 OLB prospects, but Graham could be the safest bet out of the talented bunch. He is a well rounded player who has all around production that could stack up with any DE/LB in the nation. People assume he is not physically talented because he isn't 6-5, but Graham is very strong and explosive. Plus we love Michigan linebackers.

5. Derrick Morgan*-Morgan may be the best fit for our defense out of all of these guys, he is so well rounded. He is a very good pass rusher and is great against the run, he also drops back into coverage frequently. Great size, very good athlete, very strong, and gets it done on the field. Could be a Willie McGinnest type for us.

6. Jerry Hughes-Watching Hughes explode off the line right when the ball is snapped is really special. Hughes puts up big time sack numbers and is one of the most feared defensive players in the country. One concern is that he hasn't played against the best competition, but some of the best pass rushers in the NFL came from non BCS conference schools. Another thing is I really haven't seen him do much more than go after the QB, I know he is a great athlete but I don't know how he would hold up against the run in our defense and he really doesn't have much coverage experience from what I've seen. He is a converted RB so he probably has the ability to do it from an athletic standpoint.

7. Eric Norwood-Norwood is another guy who just produces. He isn't very big and he isn't an amazing athlete, but he is a gamer. I can't really see us drafting him, but there is no doubt that in the right defense he will be able to make things happen in the NFL. I think he was born to play in the Steelers scheme.

8. Jermaine Cunningham-Playing opposite Carlos Dunlap may have Cunningham in the shadows, but that is starting to change. He has had a solid year so far and is a big time physical talent, very athletic. He could shoot up draft boards come combine time.

9. Brandon Lang-For a small school, Troy has a pretty good track record when it comes to pass rushers. Many feel that Lang is next in line. I haven't seen too much of Troy, but I do know that Lang is similar to Ware and Umenyiora in that he isn't the biggest guy but he is explosive, strong for his size, and a terror as a pass rusher.

10. Ricky Sapp-Here is another guy with unreal athleticism, the only thing is Sapp doesn't really have the size or strength you look for. He hasn't been a true game changer that everyone thought he would be, Sapp may be one of those players that is a better pro than college player. A transition to OLB in a 3-4 could be what he needs; or he could just be another tall, undersized, freakishly athletic project who struggles to make the transition a la Manny Lawson.

11. George Selvie-This guy has seen his stock skyrocket then plummet. Selvie had a monster sophmore year, but when teams started paying more attention to him he really quieted down. He could be another guy who once he gets to the pros and isn't constantly facing double teams, he could really turn it on.

There are a ton of ridiculous talents at our biggest position of need in this class, we need to take one early this year. Our defense was at its best when we had that ridiculous pass rush of Vrable, McGinnest, Colvin, Bruschi coming inside, and Seymour from the line. Now our pass rush is pretty poor, we need a big time young talent who can get to the QB but is also rounded enough to play in our defense. If we had our own Ware, Umenyiora, Freeney, or Harrison our defense would be filthy.

Another guy I really like is O'Brien Schofield out of Wisconsin, he isn't really viewed as a top pass rushing prospect but I think he would fit in pretty well here. Solid pass rusher with a nice motor, decent size, and great athleticism.

Comment

That's a great post. I'm intrigued as hell by Derrick Morgan. I'm not sure he declares because he's back to being under the radar again, but if he does and his stock stays where he is, we would have a chance to nail a top ten talent in the second round. Excellent fit in a 3-4, or anywhere really.

One of the appealing things about drafting a true pass rusher is that it opens up our 4-3 looks so much more. We won't just have bulky guys getting off the edge. Maybe that'll be a selling point to Belichick.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

It is a great post. One that feeds my excitement over a bunch of guys we will end up passing up over and over. Thanks.

hahahaa.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information