No announcement yet.

Bills at Patriots-Week 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw Vollmer at LT last night. That something that's going to be looked at more by the Pats?
    Any updates on Mayo? He's too important to that D
    -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Solid notes guys. I was back and forth between bitching and praising Maroney all night. I just don't get it - the only thing he needs to learn is to put his shoulder down and gain 3 yards when there's no hole. It really is NOT that difficult - every play won't be a home run.

Guyton was swallowed up +/- out of position often last night and we don't have anyone on the roster to help out there. Scary . . . our LBs are likely to be a season long liability with teams just checking to plays heading away from Adalius & keying on cutting off Mayo.

Oline help would be nice, as mentioned. But that was the quietest, most unassuming 378 yards passing I've even witnessed. Am I the only one who was slightly surprised to see the stat line at the end of the game?

Overall I am more concerned than I was before the game. The DBs looked good as expected, the Dline looked good w/o Richard but I wasn't expecting a major drop off there as I have been a pretty vocal supporter of Jarvis as a starter. To be fair, it probably helped that we showed a ton of 4-3. The LBs and the Oline looked worse than anticipated, imo.

Originally posted by redbills View Post
      You guys got lucky this game was against the Bills, any other team would have keep the lead. No this is the Bills no lead is safe.
      I don't know about "any other team" but there are certainly a bunch of teams that would be more likely to finish off an 11 point lead w/5 minutes left to play.

2 great games to watch last night. That was a fantastic start to the MNF season.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by Nalej View Post
        I saw Vollmer at LT last night. That something that's going to be looked at more by the Pats?
        I don't know anything about Mayo, but I think Vollmer will get some looks at left tackle. He looked really athletic in the few times he played in Lights spot. Schobel forced him out on an island once, but couldn't get around him because of his feet.

The six offensive linemen thing we were doing last night was...interesting. Ineffective and predictable for the most part, but interesting.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Good news on Mayo;
          http://www.nesn.com/2009/09/report-j...g-serious.html

About as close as we'll get to confirmation he won't be out for extended time. Sounds like he's playing next week too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Ya, BB said that Mayo would not be out for the year, at least that they did not think so at this moment. We should learn more (not much, lol) when the injury report comes out wednesday.

Also, I agree, the playcalling was atrocious at points. 4th and an inch, and we call and outside zone? really?

Vollmer looked really good when he was in there, would like to see him get more reps although having continuity on the OL is VERY important. Maroney looked great at points, but I still am quick to defend him in that when he dances, its because there is NO HOLE.

Guyton looked decent overall IMO. Clearly LB and a pass rush are our biggest concerns at this point. Rushing 6 and we get 0 pressure? Can't have that. Secondary looked vastly improved from last year.
            Last edited by Bigburt63; 09-15-2009, 08:52 PM.
            Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

We got heat a times, but the sack numbers are more indicative of good coverage down the field rather than consistent penetration.

As far as Maroney goes, you're probably right. We might just be the worst run blocking team in football. We don't get any push or create any space for runners. The only time we get yardage is on draws and runs to the outside. There's nothing up the guy EVER.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                I think anyone who doesn't love Matt Light as a person is automatically a horrible person, but he's looked terrible at LT at numerous points since Graham left... Vollmer looked like a big upgrade in the pre-season, and again last night.

On Maroney...ya, there are no holes because they're a bad run blocking team, but he's shell-shocked and afraid that he'll hurt his shoulder. It's time to ship him off to someone like Green Bay for one of their excess receivers. If there's no hole, hit somebody! Make them not want to be where you're going! That's what the Pats need right now (since their run blocking is ****).

The secondary looked outstanding. Wilhite and Butler are going to be good ones for a few years, and it was good to see Springs out there after not getting any action in the pre-season.

I thought the pass rush was decent. Buffalo was a lot better in their protection than we thought they'd be going into the season, but TBC and Thomas were causing problems for them anyway. The pass rush designs have been very vanilla since Crennel left (and especially under Pees)...I'd like to see them mix it up more in that department...especially with the versatility they have in the secondary.

As a whole, I'm just glad they ended up with the W. This game was a huge adjustment period for the entire team. With Brady back and Vollmer being rotated into the offense and Rodney and Richard gone from the defense... It would have been nice to see them walk over Buffalo, but I'm kinda glad they went through adversity in Week 1 rather than down the road.

Only big thing now is how long Mayo's out. ILB was thin before and he was the big piece of duct tape there... Guyton looked better as the game progressed, but hopefully someone else can step up and do something (whether it be Thomas at ILB or whatever).

Comment

If Mayo does end up missing more than a game, I think we see Thomas move inside to be the big linebacker and see Guyton used as the coverage guy. I feel a lot better playing the young guys we have outside(Where the hell is Crable?) than going with whoever is behind Guyton. It probably means we're a 4-3 team if Mayo is out though...and that leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Mayo has an MCL sprain and BB said he doesn't expect it to be season ending.
                    That certainly sounds like he'll be out a couple of games though.
                    Crable is on the IR...again. I hope they don't move AT to the inside.
                    He was too disruptive on the outside. Where was Brace though?
                    I kept seeing Wright lineup next to Wilfork.
                    I too was very impressed with our secondary. I'd like to see Chung worked into the rotation at safety though. I didn't seeing out there much.
                    I saw him alot on special teams though.
                    Seau said he'd be up to coming back with the Pats. I wouldn't mind it. Depth is the name of the game.
                    I'd like to see Galloway used in the passing game. I think he can open things up.
                    I love the fact that Watson made some big plays. I still have hope that he can develop into an all star TE.

Comment

Well, we're ****** linebacker wise now. Mayo said it was nothing serious initially, but an MCL will keep him out two or three games at the very least. Possibly a lot more.

And Crable to the IR? I have zero faith of him ever being a productive football player for us. Nothing left to do besides watch Clay Matthews/Connor Barwin and cry a little.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I'm still crying on when Vince Wilfork pursued the screen and raped the RB. He's such a stud at DT.

Comment

read this morning on the espn bottomline that mayo was going to be out 6-8 weeks.....

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

Originally posted by proshoota25 View Post
                            read this morning on the espn bottomline that mayo was going to be out 6-8 weeks.....
                            That's what one source is saying. There's another that says it's not going to be as long. Don't know what it is, heard it on ESPN...

It didn't LOOK at that bad, but it's the same type of thing that took Polamalu down, and that didn't look that bad either.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Hopefully it's not as long as 6-8. That's just too long

Comment

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=151479&spln=1

Mayo says that it won't be longer than six weeks. I bet he misses four and plays sparingly in two before coming back full time. Sucks, but we just have to eat it. The most important thing is for Gary Guyton to make that leap that he's looked like he's capable of making at times. Otherwise, we move AT inside and lose most of our pass rush. In anycase, this means a lot of 4-3. I hate Dean Pees. There's good hybrid defenses in the league, but we don't have the personnel for it and as mentioned earlier, out blitzing schemes are completely vanilla these days.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information