This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like we've got a new DB coach.
    Anybody who knows something about this guy?

Originally posted by ElectricEye
    I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

• I know nothing but I know the ND D sucked
      -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
        I know nothing but I know the ND D sucked
        lol

From the article it sounds like he only has 5 years of experience coaching. But Michigan has long been a great school for CB talent and a place where they learn pretty good fundamentals. The list of NFL all-pro CBs from UM is pretty sick, so I'd say the pedigree is there and that makes me like the hire. Plus I'm a UM fan so there's some element of homerism . . . ;)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Originally posted by Razor View Post
          Looks like we've got a new DB coach.
          Anybody who knows something about this guy?
          Corwin Brown played CB for the Pats under Parcells/Belichick, then he went with them to the Jets. He was the Jets' DB coach for awhile after he retired. He's a damn good coach. He did a nice job with that ND defense (especially the secondary) in 2008, but a lot of things happened in 2009. It's a great hire.

Comment

• I just read through the full transcript from Wilfork's interview on WEEI Wednesday. I stand by my original thoughts that he's right and deserves better than the franchise tag.

Full WEEI transcript.

WEEI: We are glad you got to the Pro Bowl, but we probably won’t be watching.

VW: It’s a vacation that’s all. I’m in 80 degrees weather, you are in minus 80 degree weather.

hahahahaaa!!

WEEI: What’s the next step in contract talks?

VW: I think the last time we talked contract was the beginning of the season. I told them let’s talk after the season because I didn’t think this is going anywhere, so I didn’t want to keep going back-and-forth because it’s not going anywhere. So we ended that all the way at the beginning of the season and I don’t know the next we’ll start talking. I guess when they pick up the phone and it gets important to them.

To me, Vince sounds like a guy who has done everything with class. He wanted more money but honored his contract. He held out only briefly but still came in to camp. He played his ass off for us all season and did anything and everything asked of him.

Now he'll get the shaft from the Pats the way most top talent does. :(

Comment

• "[The franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's OK. But I don't look at myself as an OK player. ... It's just basically a slap in my face and an insult to me to basically tell me I'm an OK player."

I just read an interview with VW on ESPN and I was really surprised by some of his comments. Isnt the franchise tag the average of the top 5 players at that position? How is that "OK" money? I would assume that average would be quite high considering Haynesworths deal. How can you talk about being seen as an average or ok player when the franchise tag basically puts you in context with the top 5 players in the league at your position. That sure doesnt sound "OK" to me...I understand him wanting a long term deal but lets get real here, franchise money is a lot of money, not just OK money.

Comment

• Wilfork is a family man. It's always something that comes across in interviews. Can't blame him for wanting to make his money, he never publicly complained about his crap rookie contract and played it out. I bet it wouldn't take much more than the top five average to sign him, but it would have to be for a multi year deal with a good signing bonus. The franchise tag is a lot of money, but it also denies him a signing bonus as well as the finical security he wants.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                  Wilfork is a family man. It's always something that comes across in interviews. Can't blame him for wanting to make his money, he never publicly complained about his crap rookie contract and played it out. I bet it wouldn't take much more than the top five average to sign him, but it would have to be for a multi year deal with a good signing bonus. The franchise tag is a lot of money, but it also denies him a signing bonus as well as the finical security he wants.
                  I agree to some extend, but... Most american people don't even make $50,000 per year, he earns some $1.5 million and has done so for six years. Most people don't make that much in their entire working career. I know that football isn't exactly a 9-5 job, but come on...! I would love to re-sign Wilfork, I think it's one of the top priorities this offseason. But a lot if has to do with greed, WV is just hiding it behind his family talk. If he took a $5 mill per year-type of deal he would easily be set for life, but that's not what this is about. It's about always wanting more, and I hate that. Players should take a good look at how Tom Brady has handled himself when negotiating contracts and his recent statements about how they're all overpaid. I know this post has the potential to blow up in my face when Brady leaves due to BB not offering enough :), but I doubt that will ever happen. WV is a NT, not a QB. He should be paid as such, not as a QB.

With all this being said, I'll be happy as long as WV signs a deal with the Pats, no matter how big it is. He will help this team win. But the wages in the NFL is getting out of hand, and some part of me is actually hoping for a lockout or something dramatic that will make the players realize, that the game of football will go on with or without them.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                  I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

• This is football we're talking about. Of course he's making absolutely crazy money and it would be nice for him to resign for an economic deal. I don't know about you, but if I did a job I would want to be paid based on how I did it and competitively. 5M a year is more money than most of us will ever be able to imagine, but he's in a position to make about twice to three times that on the open market. Five million a year pays for your kids to lead a good life. Fifteen with a huge signing bonus makes sure you'll be able to take care of your family for multiple generations. Not exactly a hard choice to make.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
                      "[The franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's OK. But I don't look at myself as an OK player. ... It's just basically a slap in my face and an insult to me to basically tell me I'm an OK player."

I just read an interview with VW on ESPN and I was really surprised by some of his comments. Isnt the franchise tag the average of the top 5 players at that position? How is that "OK" money? I would assume that average would be quite high considering Haynesworths deal. How can you talk about being seen as an average or ok player when the franchise tag basically puts you in context with the top 5 players in the league at your position. That sure doesnt sound "OK" to me...I understand him wanting a long term deal but lets get real here, franchise money is a lot of money, not just OK money.
                      That average comes out to (roughly) 7.5 million dollars. Even if he takes something equal to Haynesworth's (presumably) 4 year deal he would be making $10 million per year.

"OK money" is somewhat subjective, imo. I doubt he's trying to say "7.5 million" is a terrible deal. Rather, it's more along the lines of "I'm elite, and deserve elite money."

I have no problem with Vince wanting top dollar. I also have no problem with him saying he's going to do what's best for his family. Taking 10 million per year is, without a doubt, better for his family than taking 5 million per year. Taking 10 million per year for 4 or 5 years is lightyears better than taking 7.5 for one season especially with a lockout looming.

Comment

• That same "OK money" portion of the interview is all I see in discussions of Vince. Which is why I think it's important to post another section of that transcript.

". . . one thing I did was honor my contract. I went to work being a professional. It was hard to do but I went to work every day being a professional. I played my tail off. I enjoyed playing with my teammates. Pepper Johnson, I liked my D-line coach. I did everything on my end as a professional and I don’t regret anything I’ve done. If you want to call it talk what they did, you can call it talk but it wasn’t any talk. We’ll see where it goes from here, we still have time, whatever happens we will handle it accordingly. I did everything in my will power to get something done. Even with realizing that we wasn’t going to get something done throughout the whole year I went to work, I asked for it and doing what I do I played football. A lot of people were asking me why I was even here and play without a new contract. I signed up for a six-year deal and I honored it. I didn’t like the six-year deal but I did honor my six-year deal. Now that that deal is up, it’s time for me to move forward if that’s with the Patriots or without the Patriots. Like I always said, everything that is being done on our end is for my family. Family first, and that’s how we are going to approach as we always have."

He's right. He's been better than his contract for at least the last 3 years. What has he done in that time? Played football without pissing and moaning. I have nothing but respect for him. Every time he's on the radio he sounds like a good man, stand up father/husband and on top of that he has been a great player getting paid like a bum.

PAY THE MAN.

Comment

• Preach it Elvis!

Vince deserves to be paid, even if it isn't by us.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Thank you. ahThankYouVeryMuch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Razor View Post
                              I agree to some extend, but... Most american people don't even make $50,000 per year, he earns some $1.5 million and has done so for six years. Most people don't make that much in their entire working career. I know that football isn't exactly a 9-5 job, but come on...! I would love to re-sign Wilfork, I think it's one of the top priorities this offseason. But a lot if has to do with greed, WV is just hiding it behind his family talk. If he took a $5 mill per year-type of deal he would easily be set for life, but that's not what this is about. It's about always wanting more, and I hate that. Players should take a good look at how Tom Brady has handled himself when negotiating contracts and his recent statements about how they're all overpaid. I know this post has the potential to blow up in my face when Brady leaves due to BB not offering enough :), but I doubt that will ever happen. WV is a NT, not a QB. He should be paid as such, not as a QB.

With all this being said, I'll be happy as long as WV signs a deal with the Pats, no matter how big it is. He will help this team win. But the wages in the NFL is getting out of hand, and some part of me is actually hoping for a lockout or something dramatic that will make the players realize, that the game of football will go on with or without them.

See I've always been on the players side when they want more money.
                              Wilfork made 1.5 million last year as the best NT in the game...
                              last year- tell me how much money Robert Kraft made?
                              The players fill the seats and with their play get the team merchandise sold.
                              1.5 Million is a lot but how big of a piece of that pie is it?
                              If I perfermed a job that made my employer million/billions of dollars
                              you best believe I will not accept a 50K/yr salary... makes no sense

With that said- I did raise my eyebrow when he said the franchise tag is "ok" money but I think Elvis got it right when he said it would probably take slightly above that with a nice signing bonus to seal the deal.
                              He's already said he doesn't want a A.Haynesworth type of contract.
                              ... and after honoring his rookie contract- its the Pats turn to honor him back with a contract he deserves

Comment

• http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ory?id=4868868

Looks like A.Samuals is in Wilfork's ear now. "They don't care about you"
                                ... this doesn't make me happy. Wilfork needs to be resigned asap now

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information