Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Draft & Offseason Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Official Draft & Offseason Thread

    Where do u guys think we will go Q.B., D.T., W.R.

  • #2
    that all depends on how our season goes...I tihnk we need to upgrade defense somemore IMO...but if ALL of our 23479123490623784 QB's stink, I actually think Colt Brennan MIGHT be a good idea, but I could be completely off base on the system the Bucs run and the system Hawaii runs
    Gamertag: OnABoat16 (Games: NCAA 10, NHL 10, Tiger Woods 10)

    Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
    Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
    A fan of the USF Bulls

    Comment


    • #3
      A lot of guys think DT in Round One, I say that's a no-no. Let Peterson develop while the underrated Ellis Wyms & Kevin Carter rotate and keep balance.

      Here's the possible breakdowns:

      Team struggles, no future, etc. Top 10 pick: QB - Brohm, Woodson or whoever emerges from the pack

      Mid-range pick. That's where things get interesting. I'm leaning towards the offense right now, with a playmaking WO or developmental LT at the top of my list. Baker's athleticism is intriguing and I think he would be available and a good fit. DeSean Jackson would be a nice weapon, but the WR class could be deep in Rounds 2-3 so value is crucial.

      Late 1st round. Hmm...pretty much same story as mid-range, with the slight possibility of picking a semi under-the-radar QB to develop (obviously Gruden would still be our coach).

      1st Day Needs: Playmaking receiver, Hovan replacement, Spires replacement, CB youth (depends on Tanard).

      Even though I support the idea of taking a good LT early on if available this year, it is not necessarily a need yet because Petitgout should be serviceable for 2-3 years. I'd rather wait for an elite LT in 09 than take someone inconsistent after Round One. Alex Boone or Sam Young, mmm!! Rebuilding wouldn't be such a bad thing...imagine getting Brohm this year and Boone, Young or Andre Smith next year. Now that's a future to get excited about...

      Where's -black when you need him to salivate over Brohm (his boy) and Young (local Florida guy)?

      sig by BoneKrusher

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by etk View Post
        A lot of guys think DT in Round One, I say that's a no-no. Let Peterson develop while the underrated Ellis Wyms & Kevin Carter rotate and keep balance.
        I really think at best Peterson will be another Wyms type player. This defense needs elite talent on the inside and I just wouldn't bet on someone with Peterson's pedigree turning out to be more than a decent backup.

        Originally posted by etk View Post
        1st Day Needs: Playmaking receiver, Hovan replacement, Spires replacement, CB youth (depends on Tanard).

        Even though I support the idea of taking a good LT early on if available this year, it is not necessarily a need yet because Petitgout should be serviceable for 2-3 years. I'd rather wait for an elite LT in 09 than take someone inconsistent after Round One. Alex Boone or Sam Young, mmm!! Rebuilding wouldn't be such a bad thing...imagine getting Brohm this year and Boone, Young or Andre Smith next year. Now that's a future to get excited about...

        Where's -black when you need him to salivate over Brohm (his boy) and Young (local Florida guy)?
        Hovan replacement? Nose tackle in this scheme doesn't require elite talent. all you have to do is find an average player to occupy blocks and let the under tackle get loose. There's always Brad Culpepper types available for cheap. Same with Spires. The star defensive end plays on the weakside. The Spires role doesn't require more than 3rd round talent. That's one reason I really wanted the team to get Charles Johnson this past draft.

        And I'm with you on Andre Smith, but didn't Alex Boone get abused in the BCS game and so far Sam Young has only played right tackle IIRC and not very well at that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by StaticGator View Post
          I really think at best Peterson will be another Wyms type player. This defense needs elite talent on the inside and I just wouldn't bet on someone with Peterson's pedigree turning out to be more than a decent backup.



          Hovan replacement? Nose tackle in this scheme doesn't require elite talent. all you have to do is find an average player to occupy blocks and let the under tackle get loose. There's always Brad Culpepper types available for cheap. Same with Spires. The star defensive end plays on the weakside. The Spires role doesn't require more than 3rd round talent. That's one reason I really wanted the team to get Charles Johnson this past draft.

          Talking draft>Talking NFL

          And I'm with you on Andre Smith, but didn't Alex Boone get abused in the BCS game and so far Sam Young has only played right tackle IIRC and not very well at that.
          In the past decade or so we've had Anthony McFarland & Chris Hovan playing NT. We spent a first rounder on McFarland. I agree that we shouldn't spend more than a 3rd on Spires' position, but a good NT Can be valuable in our defense. Boone & Young are both huge & loaded with potential, so we'll see where that potential takes them in the next 2 years. I expect them both to become dominant by then. Your Peterson point is interesting too, and given our track record with drafting on the 2nd day it's a long shot for him to succeed. I still want to see us develop him and try to sign a veteran instead of drafting Dorsey or someone.

          sig by BoneKrusher

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by etk View Post
            In the past decade or so we've had Anthony McFarland & Chris Hovan playing NT. We spent a first rounder on McFarland. I agree that we shouldn't spend more than a 3rd on Spires' position, but a good NT Can be valuable in our defense. Boone & Young are both huge & loaded with potential, so we'll see where that potential takes them in the next 2 years. I expect them both to become dominant by then. Your Peterson point is interesting too, and given our track record with drafting on the 2nd day it's a long shot for him to succeed. I still want to see us develop him and try to sign a veteran instead of drafting Dorsey or someone.
            Well, some think Booger was drafted as an insurance policy in case Sapp went off the deep end and he was ultimately given the money to replace Sapp. He was playing nose to get him on the field; it's not what he excelled at. He was supposed to be an under tackle. As for Hovan, he eventually got a nice contract, but he started as a vet minimum player. There are lots of those guys and you can just keep shuffling them in and out each year. A point of attack nose tackle is like a run stuffing middle linebacker, it's not an elite skill set so you can wait until the 3rd or 4th round. It's the pass rushing tackles and cover linebackers that go early. Like last year the Bears had Tommie Harris (1st rounder) at Sapp's position and Ian Scott (4th rounder I think) at the nose. That's the template.

            And regarding Peterson, it's not just the Bucs' track record, it's basically a fact defensive tackles are one of the easiest positions to evaluate because as Bill Parcells says there are only so many 300 pounders with quick feet on the planet. They almost always come from a legit SEC, Big XII, Big 10, Miami, FSU type program. Don't expect more than a Chartric Darby role for Peterson.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StaticGator View Post
              Well, some think Booger was drafted as an insurance policy in case Sapp went off the deep end and he was ultimately given the money to replace Sapp. He was playing nose to get him on the field; it's not what he excelled at. He was supposed to be an under tackle. As for Hovan, he eventually got a nice contract, but he started as a vet minimum player. There are lots of those guys and you can just keep shuffling them in and out each year. A point of attack nose tackle is like a run stuffing middle linebacker, it's not an elite skill set so you can wait until the 3rd or 4th round. It's the pass rushing tackles and cover linebackers that go early. Like last year the Bears had Tommie Harris (1st rounder) at Sapp's position and Ian Scott (4th rounder I think) at the nose. That's the template.

              And regarding Peterson, it's not just the Bucs' track record, it's basically a fact defensive tackles are one of the easiest positions to evaluate because as Bill Parcells says there are only so many 300 pounders with quick feet on the planet. They almost always come from a legit SEC, Big XII, Big 10, Miami, FSU type program. Don't expect more than a Chartric Darby role for Peterson.
              I love talking about the draft. Actual football is so boring in comparison. You're right about Booger playing nose, but I still think NT is a position that's definitely worthy of a first day pick.

              sig by BoneKrusher

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by etk View Post
                I love talking about the draft. Actual football is so boring in comparison. You're right about Booger playing nose, but I still think NT is a position that's definitely worthy of a first day pick.
                I'll concede it's a position worth a 3rd rounder.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by StaticGator View Post
                  I'll concede it's a position worth a 3rd rounder.
                  Fair enough. I'm so used to having steady consistent play from the position that I expect nothing less in the future. Why not take one in the 3rd if we think they will bring the same? Same thing goes with "LDE", but I value it 0.1 less.

                  sig by BoneKrusher

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Matt Grothe For 2009!

                    Also, WR in the first, LDE in the second, Developmental LT in the 3rd.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      BPA aslong as it is an area we aren't set at for the future, so basically anything but HB, RE and G. I'd be willing to make a slight exception for QB though.
                      "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
                        Matt Grothe For 2009!

                        Also, WR in the first, LDE in the second, Developmental LT in the 3rd.
                        OVERRATED ...

                        sig by BoneKrusher

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by etk View Post
                          OVERRATED ...
                          You don't just Pass For 2500 yards, Rush for 600, and have a 138 QB rating as a freshman and be overrated. I'm not saying 1st round pick either, 2-4th is where he'll go.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
                            You don't just Pass For 2500 yards, Rush for 600, and have a 138 QB rating as a freshman and be overrated. I'm not saying 1st round pick either, 2-4th is where he'll go.
                            I know, just trollin, just trollin. You justified yourself, so I'm happy.

                            sig by BoneKrusher

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This is a tough one, a'lot will depend on FA's etc, who knows, maybe even a trade?

                              We're going to have plenty of Cap space, so untill then, I'll wait and see?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information