Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Derek Anderson?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Derek Anderson?

    Think we could make a run at him through trade or FA? He's 24 and playing great this year. Not sure how he fits into our system though.

    bonekrusher on the sig magic
    <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
    <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

  • #2
    Don't you guys run a west coast offense? (This is me assuming since Garcia only does good in WCOs). If so, then no, Anderson would suck in that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BrownsTown View Post
      Don't you guys run a west coast offense? (This is me assuming since Garcia only does good in WCOs). If so, then no, Anderson would suck in that.
      Yeah, we do. Why would he, though?

      bonekrusher on the sig magic
      <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
      <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BeansDooma View Post
        Yeah, we do. Why would he, though?
        He seems a better quarterback and making throws down feild and longer 15 yard routes. Just let him sit back and throw em. To have him roll out and have short to intermeidiate routes at his disposal seem to be a waste of his biggest strength.. which is throwing the deep ball

        Sig By Diehardvikingfan

        Comment


        • #5
          Well it's not like we don't chuck a deep ball very often. Galloway gets 'em downfield all the time.

          bonekrusher on the sig magic
          <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
          <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

          Comment


          • #6
            Derek Anderson would be horrible in our offense. He's a dropback gunslinger with limited mobility. Our offense is built on quick reads, short accurate passes and creativity in and out of the pocket. Those aren't his strengths. With that being said, we could can our current system, line up Stovall and Clayton at wideouts, and sign a good pass blocking LT. That's a pretty risky proposition, so I think we'll just stick with what we've got.

            sig by BoneKrusher

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BeansDooma View Post
              Well it's not like we don't chuck a deep ball very often. Galloway gets 'em downfield all the time.
              Well ya that is true, but i think its a bigger staple in the browns offence. I think he is in a perfect position to suceed right now, so why take him into a different system... you know? I would take him if my team ran abotu the same system

              Sig By Diehardvikingfan

              Comment


              • #8
                I think the Buccaneers would be better off attaining a QB through the draft. Somebody who has similar mobility to Garcia and excels at short to intermediate throws, but can also throw the occasional deep ball. Anderson has been playing well this year, but unless the offense was to change, he wouldn't be an ideal solution.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mobility in QBs is a bit overrated here. Garcia is the first time that Gruden has had a QB that could move around and still make plays with his arm (that last part counts Grads out). Simms wasn't overly mobile. Griese didn't leave the pocket all that much. Brad NEVER did.....well, on his own. Guys don't have to have great mobility to come here, not if they can throw anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
                    Mobility in QBs is a bit overrated here. Garcia is the first time that Gruden has had a QB that could move around and still make plays with his arm (that last part counts Grads out). Simms wasn't overly mobile. Griese didn't leave the pocket all that much. Brad NEVER did.....well, on his own. Guys don't have to have great mobility to come here, not if they can throw anyway.
                    Rich Gannon says Hi.

                    Mobility is important for a QB, particularly in Tampa Bay. Our O-line is still young and whilst there have been a reduced number of sacks this year, that is more so a reflection on the QB than the O-line play. A mobile QB would be preferable to Derek Anderson who would probably be over-valued anyway or would wind-up costing an excessively high draft pick.
                    Last edited by Caddy; 11-12-2007, 05:24 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                      Rich Gannon says Hi.
                      Had here, Gannon is a total given.

                      Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                      Mobility is important for a QB, particularly in Tampa Bay. Our O-line is still young and whilst there have been a reduced number of sacks this year, that is more so a reflection on the QB than the O-line play. A mobile QB would be preferable to Derek Anderson who would probably be over-valued anyway or would wind-up costing an excessively high draft pick.
                      OL will get better with time. Sears and Penn had 0 starts before this season, Davin and True only had 12 a piece I think. I remember Davin was injured for a stretch and True waited until Yatta went down. Point being, only one year and not even a full 16. Buenning will be back in playing form for the start of 08, as will Petitgout (hopefully). We can't NOT take a QB who is a lot better than any of our other options down the line just because we don't think the line will keep him upright. Thats cutting off your nose to spite your face. We're trying to get better.

                      Anderson would be a little over-valued as he's getting a lot of help from his OL including Thomas and Steinbach, Edwards and Winslow are having Pro Bowl type seasons and are much better than the options he'd have here. But I don't think, if we make the playoffs, a 1st rounder would be unthinkable IF Gruden is looking for a QB who can accelerate our re-building into a legit contender.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It isn't just his lack of mobility which reduces would reduce his effectiveness in Gruden's system. He is more of a drop back and throw the deep ball passer and at this stage in his career I don't think he has the creativity, nor the ability to throw a lot of short and intermediate routes.

                        I think the Buccaneers would be stupid not to consider Anderson, and I think he is better than a lot of Day 1 QB's (Henne, Dixon etc etc), but I think there are QB's in the draft who would be better options for our current offensive scheme.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                          It isn't just his lack of mobility which reduces would reduce his effectiveness in Gruden's system. He is more of a drop back and throw the deep ball passer and at this stage in his career I don't think he has the creativity, nor the ability to throw a lot of short and intermediate routes.
                          Dude, what the crap? Everyone knows how to throw short and intermediate passes. It's not like he's throwing 40 bombs a game. Chris Simms came in with the same tag as a down-field guy, replaced Griese and had a very good completion %, hit his guys short, AND was able to stretch the field and keep safeties honest. The main thing in this system is completion percentage. Which is why Grads (54% with NOTHING downfield) was so awful, yet people think he could be the next Garcia because he's small and mobile. Anderson is currently at 56% going down the field consistently, and Gruden's system bumps everyone's % up quite a bit.

                          Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                          I think the Buccaneers would be stupid not to consider Anderson, and I think he is better than a lot of Day 1 QB's (Henne, Dixon etc etc), but I think there are QB's in the draft who would be better options for our current offensive scheme.
                          Aside from the big 3 (and they are no glove-like fits as it is), no there isn't.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think trading away Quinn is a better idea, look how good the O is with a capable qb, you found one finally why would u get ride of him. Keep him he has experince and shown to win. Quinn who knows? As a steeler fan i say trade him, as a football view, trade Quinn, pull as Scahab.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dbtb135 View Post
                              Dude, what the crap? Everyone knows how to throw short and intermediate passes. It's not like he's throwing 40 bombs a game. Chris Simms came in with the same tag as a down-field guy, replaced Griese and had a very good completion %, hit his guys short, AND was able to stretch the field and keep safeties honest. The main thing in this system is completion percentage. Which is why Grads (54% with NOTHING downfield) was so awful, yet people think he could be the next Garcia because he's small and mobile. Anderson is currently at 56% going down the field consistently, and Gruden's system bumps everyone's % up quite a bit.

                              Yes everyone knows how to throw a short to intermediate ball, but not everyone can do it well. The fact is, Anderson is not a typical Jon Gruden QB and very Gruden rarely utilises the skills of a drop back an throw QB in the mold of Derek Anderson. Brad Johnson and Chris Simms seemingly refute that, but they weren't part of the Gruden regime. Every QB Gruden has brought to the Buccaneers; McCown/Grads/Garcia, all have above average mobility and excel at the short to intermediate routes.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information