1. DT Gerald McCoy

2a. WR Golden Tate

2b. WR Arrelious Benn

3. CB Brandon Ghee

4. DE Jermaine Cunningham

thoughts? comments?
    Last edited by Me Likey Rookies; 03-31-2010, 01:37 AM. Reason: added stuff
    save Freeman

Um, I'm not opposed to taking 2 wr's in the 2nd round, but I am not a fan of taking Golden Tate. I think he is going to be a good player in the slot and right now, Thats where I see Sammie Stroughter playing. If Demaryous Thomas is there at 35, he HAS TO BE THE PICK! Then at 42, I would love to see us draft Damien Williams. We get a deep threat and a solid route runner and possession WR, then we could get a CB and DE with the next 2 pciks.

Comment

Tate is much more explosive than Stroughter and Thomas was gone before #35. I think Thomas has become very overrated, Benn could be just as good. Tate/Benn is a lot of talent to add for Freeman.
      save Freeman

Comment

Bear in mind that there were zero DE's worth selecting and the CB value wasn't good either.

MLR sold me on the idea of two receivers and I just went with it to the benefit of the team in my opinion.

Comment

If the CB value wasn't good then those two receivers are a great call in my opinion.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

Comment

I like it, but do you have a link to the whole draft?

Comment

Merlin, it is in the fantasy section of this forum.

While I would be happy with the draft we had, I wanted to give my personal dream draft:

1. DT Ndamukong Suh ... nothing really needs to be said, I will be fine with McCoy but only if Suh goes 1 or 2.

2a. WR Arrelious Benn ... love his potential as a #1 WR. He is a strong runner after the catch so it will make things easier for Freeman to just hit him on a cross or screen.

2b. CB Patrick Robinson ... great speed (4.4 at combine and proday) and great quickness and fluidity. Will struggle with big WRs but that is why we have Talib. He should be a great #2 CB.

3. LB Brandon Spikes ... I still have a crush on Spikes. Fiery leader, monster vs the run, and fantastic blitzer off the edge. If he doesnt replace Ruud next year at MLB, he could replace Black at SLB. Raheem wont ask him to drop back deep in coverage.

4. RT Kyle Calloway ... I HATE HATE HATE Jeremy Trueblood. Here is his replacement.

We can take a DE after that, I would be fine with a rotation of White, Moore, Crowder, and Wilkerson (?). We can get a stud DE next year and lets not forget Suh/McCoy will make our passrush 10 times better.
              save Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
                Merlin, it is in the fantasy section of this forum.

While I would be happy with the draft we had, I wanted to give my personal dream draft:

1. DT Ndamukong Suh ... nothing really needs to be said, I will be fine with McCoy but only if Suh goes 1 or 2.

2a. WR Arrelious Benn ... love his potential as a #1 WR. He is a strong runner after the catch so it will make things easier for Freeman to just hit him on a cross or screen.

2b. CB Patrick Robinson ... great speed (4.4 at combine and proday) and great quickness and fluidity. Will struggle with big WRs but that is why we have Talib. He should be a great #2 CB.

3. LB Brandon Spikes ... I still have a crush on Spikes. Fiery leader, monster vs the run, and fantastic blitzer off the edge. If he doesnt replace Ruud next year at MLB, he could replace Black at SLB. Raheem wont ask him to drop back deep in coverage.

4. RT Kyle Calloway ... I HATE HATE HATE Jeremy Trueblood. Here is his replacement.

We can take a DE after that, I would be fine with a rotation of White, Moore, Crowder, and Wilkerson (?). We can get a stud DE next year and lets not forget Suh/McCoy will make our passrush 10 times better.
                Too much Florida love. Patrick Robinson shouldn't be taken that high. His ninconsistencies and non-tackling ways will make him NOT a Buccaneer. Then like the original poster, you completely disregarded DE, which we wouldn't need to draft any DBs if we had a half-decent pass rush. Anybody would be better, (Ghee, Cook, Murphy, etc).

And seriously... you like Spikes that much? We can get him with one of our 4 7th round picks.. but I gotta warn you, It'll be a wasted pick. Beyond slow, this guy is not fluid or athletic enough to play LB in the T-2. You suggest we take our fastest LB (Black-who is possibly the fastest LB in the NFL) with somebody that would probably be the slowest in the league. You say that Morris wouldn't ask him to drop back deep... wouldn't that be a major weakness then? Spikes willl go either UDFA or in round 7... here's why:

#1 He's a 2 down run stopper that will likely only project to teams running the 3-4. He's a far slower version of Brandon Siler who lasted until round 7 a few years back despite all the UF homer love.

#2 He can't really cover anybody or any amount of ground and the NFL is about speed. 5.05 40 only cuts it if the guy's hand is on the ground.

#3 He's too slow to even play special teams. Teams put their fastest players on the coverage units and Spikes would be slower than all the other LBs and TEs and most of the DEs...so if he were drafted he would be expected to start from day 1 because backup LBs in the NFL almost always play special teams.

DE is not something you can just address some other time... it is IMPORTANT! We have 3 in-house candidates to take over at RT (Dotson, Zuttah, Penn-if we go LT in the first 2 rounds).

McCoy has a huge bust factor and Suh might be pretty good, but neither is going to make the pass rush 10X better, they are one guy. One piece of the puzzle, a puzzle that needs... pieces!

Address the pass rush early and often.

Comment

brasho - I disagree with pretty much everything you just said but it is late, so I will go into detail about it tomorow
                  save Freeman

Comment

First and Foremost I agree with Thomas overhype, I think in the 1st round unless it is a QB, u try to draft a starter who is going to play a lot the upcoming season. I know he has started running a little bit on his foot now from but only sparingly. Also he is coming from an option style offense where he only ran go routes pretty much or as they say in the route trees, the 9, which is something else he has to get accostumed to. I'm not bashing the guy I just think he needs to get drafted in the 2nd with all that transitioning.

Second where is the love for speedy LBs? T2 lives and thrives off that IDK if I see Spikes fitting the mold of a Derrick Brooks/Jamie Duncan/Shelton Quarles etc mold. He seems more of a thumper in a 3-4, playing the weakside inside LB. I like Spikes as a player, when he was healthy his JR year the dude was a beast. A few names to throw around in the 3rd maybe LB Washington(if he falls that far), LB AJ Edds, LB Riley(possibly in the 4th)

I haven't seen you alls' entire mock draft so I dont know if those players were even availible or not.
                    Last edited by bigfreak314; 04-01-2010, 01:31 PM.

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
                    Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

Originally posted by brasho View Post
                      Too much Florida love. Patrick Robinson shouldn't be taken that high. His ninconsistencies and non-tackling ways will make him NOT a Buccaneer. Then like the original poster, you completely disregarded DE, which we wouldn't need to draft any DBs if we had a half-decent pass rush. Anybody would be better, (Ghee, Cook, Murphy, etc).

And seriously... you like Spikes that much? We can get him with one of our 4 7th round picks.. but I gotta warn you, It'll be a wasted pick. Beyond slow, this guy is not fluid or athletic enough to play LB in the T-2. You suggest we take our fastest LB (Black-who is possibly the fastest LB in the NFL) with somebody that would probably be the slowest in the league. You say that Morris wouldn't ask him to drop back deep... wouldn't that be a major weakness then? Spikes willl go either UDFA or in round 7... here's why:

#1 He's a 2 down run stopper that will likely only project to teams running the 3-4. He's a far slower version of Brandon Siler who lasted until round 7 a few years back despite all the UF homer love.

#2 He can't really cover anybody or any amount of ground and the NFL is about speed. 5.05 40 only cuts it if the guy's hand is on the ground.

#3 He's too slow to even play special teams. Teams put their fastest players on the coverage units and Spikes would be slower than all the other LBs and TEs and most of the DEs...so if he were drafted he would be expected to start from day 1 because backup LBs in the NFL almost always play special teams.

DE is not something you can just address some other time... it is IMPORTANT! We have 3 in-house candidates to take over at RT (Dotson, Zuttah, Penn-if we go LT in the first 2 rounds).

McCoy has a huge bust factor and Suh might be pretty good, but neither is going to make the pass rush 10X better, they are one guy. One piece of the puzzle, a puzzle that needs... pieces!

Address the pass rush early and often.
                      To be fair if you looked at the order of the draft you would have realised that there was very little value at the DE position and we had to go BPA.

By the time it got to our first 2nd rounder the top six ends were gone and reaching on Wootton would have been a fail. DE is a need, but if the value isn't there you shouldn't reach for a sub par player.

Comment

yo caddy or MLR what is the mock draft under in Fantasy Section?

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
                        Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

It's got it's own separate 'Forum Mock' Sub Section which is at the top of the page.

Comment

brasho-

1. Patrick Robinson would be tremendous value in the middle of the 2nd. I am not sure where you are getting his "non-tackling ways" from but he is a willing tackler. He is inconsistent but the talent is there and I trust Raheem to develop him as a starter opposite Talib (so he would always get the #2 WR).

2. Like Caddy said, you can't take a DE if the value is not there. Griffen and Hughes could very likely be off the board by #35 and I don't want to risk taking a bust like Dunlap or Wooton (I like Wooton but the injury from a year ago makes me very uneasy/he was not the same his senior year).

3. Spikes will not go in the 7th round. He will go in the 3rd or 4th, maybe the 2nd to a 3-4 team. I don't care about the time that he ran a straight line for 40 yards in, watch his Junior tape to see how good he is. He was bothered with an injury his entire Senior season.

How would I use him? As a run stuffer on 1st and 2nd down and as an edge rusher on 3rd. We are moving away from traditional tampa 2 to more experimental stuff with zone coverage. I do not think that Ruud is in Raheem's long term plan.

4. What does Quincy Black's track speed have to do with anything? On the football field, Geno Hayes is the fastest LB.

5. Yes we need to add pieces but at good value in the draft. The DE value free falls after the 1st round, while the WR and CB value stays high. Add the pieces of DT, WR, CB, LB this year and add the pieces of DE, S, WR next year.
                            save Freeman

Comment

I'm still not interested at all in Spikes. I can't see him fitting into our defense at all. He'd struggle as an ILB in any 4-3 scheme.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information