Grade our Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade our Draft

Pretty simple guys, what do you think we deserve after initial analysis?

1) Gerald McCoy - Obvious pick. Should be a super star in this league.
    2) Brian Price - I'm not really on board with it, but god we need some help big time for our terrible defensive line. We have no excuse now not to get to the QB from the DT position. Price, McCoy and Miller should be one hell of a rotation.
    2) Arrelious Benn - We needed a receiver and Benn profiles nicely as a guy we can throw the ball to a lot. I prefer Tate, but with Stroughter as our slot guy I guess the team liked Benn's value more.
    3) Myron Lewis - Big, physical corner who should help our defense. Will at least be dime back his rookie year and could definitely push Mack for the nickel spot.
    4) Mike Williams - A bit of a head case, but in the fourth round I think it's worth the risk. I really hope that Benn and Williams form a solid 1-2 punch. (a guy can dream)
    6) Brent Bowden - Sam Paulescu is our punter. Enough said.
    7) Cody Grimm - I doubt he makes the roster but if he does should be decent on special teams. Practice squad guy in my opinion.
    7) Dakoda Watson - I like Watson. Should be a good back-up in the league and a guy we can use on special teams from week one.
    7) Erik Lorig - Has a legitimate chance to make the roster with the crap heap we have at defensive end. Diamond in the rough maybe? Probably not but lets hope so.

Overall I give it a B. We addressed some needs but I would have loved some more help at defensive line and possibly a late round running back.

i can just say that i absolutely love our draft.

Round 1
    i absolutely love mccoy. BPA and biggest need

Round 2
    i thought we would go DE/WR with the 2a, but the value wasn't there, so we picked BPA and a position of need. love that pick

a great move by dominic that he didn't pick Benn at 2a, like maybe i would do. he was there near our 2b, he made a trade (which I'm absolutely cool with....he was the best WR on there Board (maybe even BPA) and i think that was not close, so they couldn't risk not to get him) and we got our potential #1 WR for years to come.
    If Tate would be as high as Benn was on our Board, we wouldn't trade up

Round 3
    Maybe not BPA but definitly an area we had to get a young guy.
    Myron Lewis can be a really really good CB for us. Perfect match for our system and a position of need

Round 4
    Mike Williams-i like the rist in the fourth round. We got 4 high character guys in round 1-3, so i'm fine with this risk here.

Round 6,
    we got an instand starter in round 6 at position of need. i like it to have the punter position set for years.

i olny know dekota watson from our 7th rounder. he ist a really nice LB, good depth, Special teams quality. i like it

i give it a B+ maybe A-

Comment

yea i would give it a B+ also.. Only gripe I really have is giving up that 5th round pick to move up. There were plenty of potential starters/rotational guys in the 5th round and we coulda got Benn anyways. Also would have been nice to grab a DE but I am sure we will grab some depth with a few UDFAs. Grimm is going to be our SS in a few years most likely and Watson was a steal in the 7th round. Also like the fact we got a 5th round pick back for next years draft.

Josh Freeman by Kenbo Slice

Comment

Don't have time to go too in depth right now, but I'm going with an A-

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I'm going to go with a B for the Bucs draft.

Comment

After the draft it reminded me of how many needs this team had going in. We got a bunch of players who should contribute at areas of big need and still have many other very bad starters at other positions.

McCoy and Been were great pickups. Price and Lewis were good and should contribute. Would have preferred getting Campbell instead of Williams in the 4th. Getting a punter was really important.

You don't realize the importance of having a good punter until you have a very poor one. I like the Lorig pick in the 7th, the other 2 in the 7th were meh picks.

B+ Got a bunch of guys that will make big improvements to the team. No WTF picks like Dexter Jackson from 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyG View Post
              Only gripe I really have is giving up that 5th round pick to move up. There were plenty of potential starters/rotational guys in the 5th round and we coulda got Benn anyways.
              Actually, there were reports that New England, Pittsburgh and three other teams were looking to trade up and select Benn. If that's true, the only way we were going to get him was by trading up.

As for the draft, I give it a A-. McCoy and Price will have our interior line set for the next decade in a rotation with Roy Miller. Benn should be a good receiver and Mike Williams has a ton of potential if he can keep his head on straight (and the Bucs FO must be optimistic about that possibility, since Dominik said after the draft that they decided not to pursue Blount because they didn't like what they heard in his interview). As for Lewis, I'm a fan. I think he'll be a fantastic replacement for Barber and that he's better than the 2 CBs who were taken just before him.

As for Bowden, I knew we'd take a punter, but I would have preferred to wait until the 7th. After watching Dirk Johnson give opposing teams good field position last year I suppose I'm ok with the pick if his leg is as good as advertised.

And, as far as the 7th round guys go, all three should be good depth. Schefter apparently said that we'll be really happy with Lorig. Grimm will push Sabby to improve and will be a special teams beast and Watson will push Black/Hayes in addition to playing special teams.

Overall, I think it's another solid draft from Dominik and Morris. I like where this team is heading.

Comment

Trust me, you guys will love lewis, hes a great player, perfect fit with you guys. He should be a nickle for you and dont be surprised if you can even get good production from him this year. Its always good to see my fav's go to teams where they fit perfectly in. I wish him the luck and you will love his attitude and play
                The new and MUCH improved Green Bay Scat

I Bleed Black and Gold

Comment

I'm jealous you guys got Cody Grimm. Not the best of athletes, but he is just a damn good football player. He has one of the best football IQs and is quite instinctive.

Comment

Solid A

first 5 picks are going to be eventual starters and the rest add quality depth. not much more a person can ask for. DT push will make the DE's jobs easier and provide 10 years of dominance up front. Mike Williams is a tad less talented version of Dez Bryant and I viewed Benn as an Anquan Boldin type. Tampa should be jumping for joy. The team's success depends on Josh Freeman. good enough offensive line, quality depth at RB, skill at WR, one year under his belt, so this is his chance to take another huge step forward. I've hated Raheem Morris' moves, but one more draft like this and Tampa will be rebuilt and geared toward the sustainable dominance.

All this and I personally don't even care about Tampa. I'm a Lion's fan, just it looks like a job well done.
                    SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                    Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

A-

Very happy with our draft this year. I have been in love with Price all year and had him as a mid 1st talent. Watch my video of him on youtube.. dude looks unstoppable.

I liked Benn over Tate and was happy that was how the Bucs had it as well. Lets hope he has a much more productive pro career. Mike Williams could turn out to be a Tanard Jackson-type pick, which would obviously be awesome.
                      save Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                        Actually, there were reports that New England, Pittsburgh and three other teams were looking to trade up and select Benn. If that's true, the only way we were going to get him was by trading up.

As for the draft, I give it a A-. McCoy and Price will have our interior line set for the next decade in a rotation with Roy Miller. Benn should be a good receiver and Mike Williams has a ton of potential if he can keep his head on straight (and the Bucs FO must be optimistic about that possibility, since Dominik said after the draft that they decided not to pursue Blount because they didn't like what they heard in his interview). As for Lewis, I'm a fan. I think he'll be a fantastic replacement for Barber and that he's better than the 2 CBs who were taken just before him.

As for Bowden, I knew we'd take a punter, but I would have preferred to wait until the 7th. After watching Dirk Johnson give opposing teams good field position last year I suppose I'm ok with the pick if his leg is as good as advertised.

And, as far as the 7th round guys go, all three should be good depth. Schefter apparently said that we'll be really happy with Lorig. Grimm will push Sabby to improve and will be a special teams beast and Watson will push Black/Hayes in addition to playing special teams.

Overall, I think it's another solid draft from Dominik and Morris. I like where this team is heading.
                        Agree with everything you wrote.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

I can't believe you guys got McCoy AND Brian Price. With those two picks and Roy Miller your DEs will probably start to look at lot better this year.

Your first 4 picks were excellent. Watson was a great value too. I think you guys had the best overall draft this year, congrats.

Comment

thx for the kind words, bro.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

I’m very pleased with the Bucs draft, our defensive front, and defensive unit as a whole, just got a lot better.

As did our passing game and ST’s.

1) DT, Gerald McCoy – One of the big two DT’s heading into the draft, this pic was a gimme after Bradford went off the board. McCoy is a perfect fit for the T2 and the UT position.

2a) DT, Brian Price – With the Bucs rush defense ranking dead last in 09, GM Mark Dominic looked to immediately upgrade the front four with his second DT of the draft.
                              Price is a another explosive penetrator, who will probably play the OT in Raheem Morris’s “evolving T2″. Along with last years 3rd rd pic, DT Roy Miller from Tenn, the Bucs will have a solid rotation to battle the Florida heat.

2b) WR, Arrelious Benn – A strong physically built wideout who has the ability to win as a blocker on the outside, Benn can help create run lanes for backs downfield.
                              He’s a powerful presence with impressive body control as a route runner, he does a nice job disguising his routes when driving corners up the field, and he cleanly Gert’s out of his breaks on a consistent basis.
                              While he lacks elite speed, he’s a load to bring down, and is very productive in terms of YAC.

3) CB, Myron Lewis – A tall, long-armed corner who can disrupt routes on all levels of the field, Lewis showcases the ability to get into the frame of receivers and press off the line. He possesses good instincts in man coverage and does a great job getting his hands on the ball. He displays impressive coordination and has the ability to quickly adjust his body to the play and break up the pass.
                              Not afraid to stick his head in when needed, he should be Ronde’s heir apparent opposite Aquib Talib, though this year will see him play nickel.

4) WR, Mike Williams – An extremely gifted athlete, Williams exhibits impressive explosion in all facets of his game. Is a really impressive leaper, displaying the ability to time up the pass and snag the football at its highest point. He plucks the ball with his hands and showcases good concentration when asked to take a hit over the middle of the field. Possesses an impressive initial burst off the line. He has the ability to get on top of corners quickly and make plays down the field. Showcases an impressive second gear when asked to track the football. Does a nice job fighting through defensive backs and adjusting to the play. Has the ability to consistently get down the field. His combination of speed and jumping ability makes him a legitimate vertical threat. Without a doubt, he has the makings of a No. 1 wideout in the NFL and could end up developing into one of the best in the league.
                              However, the reason he was till available in the 4th is well documented, though in listening to GM, Mark Dominic, the Bucs have done their homework, and don’t foresee any problems…time will tell, but this could be the steal of the entire draft?

5) – used to move up.

6) P, Brent Bowden – Maybe not the “sexy pic” fans wanted or expected, but VT’s punter has a very big, very accurate right leg, something the Bucs didn’t have last year, Brent has the potential to be with the Bucs for the next 10 years.

7a) LB Cody Grimm – Yep…it’s his son, Grimm probably translates to a SS with the Bucs, an instinctive athlete who diagnoses plays quickly in all areas of the game, Grimm has a nose for the ball. He isn’t fluid when asked to change direction in space and lacks great closing speed in pursuit. But he displays good short-area quickness and does a nice job sidestepping blockers and making his way toward the ball. He uses his hands well to keep himself clean and is a secure wrap-up tackler. He has a thin upper body and lacks the frame to be effective inside the box. ST project.

7b) LB, Dekoda Watson – Watson is a gifted athlete who can run sideline to sideline and make plays in pursuit, but he gets knocked off balance too easily and isn’t the most physical of tacklers. He gets caught up at the line of scrimmage and sealed on plays away from his frame. Watson is an above-average athlete in coverage, looks comfortable in his drop and has the fluidity to cleanly get out of his breaks and close in coverage. He’s more of a Cover 2-only guy who’s at his best in run-and-hit situations. He needs to get stronger. ST project.

7c) DE, Erik Lorig – Adam Schefter tweet: Mark my words: “Tampa Bay will be happy with its 7th round pick, Stanford DE Erik Lorig”. – ST project?

Grade – B+

I’m not sure where I read it, but their was a post/link, regarding the changes that Dom had made within our Draft strategy/staff etc.

Apparently Bruce Allen hardly watched any tape, and if he did, it was without any of the scouting dept, and/or the coaching staff…..

IMO, this would explain a hell of a lot!!!

Rather then pay millions on staff, workouts, traveling to scout players etc etc, we should have just let Allen loose on Youtube. Though I’m thinking this is what he did anyway...

Bringing things up to the present day, according to reports things have changed dramatically, even our HC is now involved in the draft proccess…

IMO, the last two drafts have been some of the best in recent years, (for the Bucs) and I’m including the use of our pics for Winslow etc.

Looking at things in terms of, “this time each year,” I’m super stoked by our draft, and the potential it offers the whole franchise. In that regard, this is the best draft I can remember in recent history.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information