No announcement yet.

Fantasy Baseball Help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Baseball Help

I'm currently 8th place out of 10 in my league (probably 9th after today). My record is currently 35-42-3 and I'm probably gonna finish 3-7 or 4-6 this week. My roster seems to be set, but I just can't seem to put it all together.

C-Russell Martin (.384 OBP, 6 HR, 38 RBI, 36 R, 8 SB)
    1st-Carlos Delgado (.300 OBP, 8 HR, 34 RBI, 28 R, 2 SB)
    2nd-Chase Utley (.384 OBP, 10 HR, 44 RBI, 41 R, 3 SB)
    3rd-B.J. Upton (.402 OBP, 8 HR, 29 RBI, 31 R, 11 SB)
    SS-Carlos Guillen (.384 OBP, 6 HR, 37 RBI, 28 R, 4 SB)
    OF-Barry Bonds (.492 OBP, 12 HR, 26 RBI, 31 R, 2 SB)
    OF-Hideki Matsui (.360 OBP, 5 HR, 25 RBI, 25 R, 1 SB)
    OF-Gary Matthews Jr. (.346 OBP, 7 HR, 33 RBI, 36 R, 9 SB)
    Util-Rafael Furcal, (.371 OBP, O HR, 18 RBI, 24 R, 6 SB)
    Adrian Beltre (.318 OBP, 9 HR, 27 RBI, 30 R, 5 SB)
    or Bobby Abreu (.325 OBP, 2 HR, 22 RBI, 34 R, 8 SB)

SP-Roy Halladay, Daisuke Matsusaka, Curt Schilling, Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Tom Gorzelanny, Fausto Carmona
    RP-Jose Valverde, Joe Borowski, Al Reyes

It's a 5x5 league, but with OBP instead of BA.

It's seems like my team is pretty good everywhere, but I always catch a bad break. For instance, I'm 2-6 in the Runs category, but I have the 5th most runs overall.

Should I make moves keep this roster and wait it out. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.
    When you reach the upper level, your mind body and soul must be one.

If I'm you, I shut off the saves category entirely, you won't win with only three closers, and the three you have aren't that good.

Two big negatives are Delgado and Bonds, Matsui is a fantasy joke too.

Bait Delgado CUT BONDS (or trade if you have a bonds lover) bait the closers with players to increase a couple other positions, trade bait Schilling, cut the **** out of Beltre (Pence would be ideal) , bait Abreu, bait Matthews high.

If you can't bait the closers, cut their asses and overload with starting pitching, make sure you win the K and W categories every week. You're trying to do to much offensively, and Bonds OBP isn't worth his lack everywhere else.

This team does need some serious work though, even though its not THAT far away.

A good strategy is to GUARANTEE yourself at least 4-5 categories each week, then let everything else play itself out. With you I see SB, runs, OBP (even without bonds), K, and W being legit possibilities. Shoot for those, because you aren't going to win RBI and HR with a squad like that, and ERA and WHIP will be a crapshoot.

another thing...with Utley being so valuable to a lot of people and the 2b positoin being so weak, you could bait him real high for a premium ass player *vlad, manny, etc, etc, play upton at 2b (not a significant downgrade) and pick up a rolen or something (rolen is about to light it up) in his place at 3b.

Alright, my team went 3-7 last week. There's no way that team is THIS bad. I like your idea for trading Utley, but I'd like to trade him for a top pitcher. Any ideas, ToldLikeItIs? And I made a trade for Carl Crawford. Hopefully that helps some.

Oh yeah, saves is my best category. I'm 7-2 and have tied for the most saves in my league. My worst is WHIP, which I'm 1-8. I'm 3-6 in SB's and everything else I'm either .500 or right below.

I would not be surprised if you got Santana for Utley at this point, and it would be worth it.

Saves may be your best category now, but not for long, and it's part of your WHIP/ERA problem.

Trade a pitcher and a closer for a better pitcher, and with the open closer spot pick up either a hot, young pitcher (gallardo, bailey) or a bat you think could help the lineup.

Ideal move would be say..Fausto Carmona and Borowski for Brandon Webb, something along those lines. Find someone with weak closers, and trade him/her one of your weak closers (and they are all weak, I hate to say it), also if Adam Wainwright is available in FA, pick him up immediately.

Just get the lame bats out of your lineup, guys that either go yard or strike out, you can't win with them consistently. I'm basically talking about Beltre and Delgado. I'm really undecided on Matthews, he is a 5-tool player, but usually for only 1/2 of a season.

My fantasy team, 10 man league, 100$ buy, looks like this.. 61-34-6 is my record

C - R.Martin
          1b - D.Lee
          2b - B. Roberts
          SS - H. Ramirez
          3b - M. Cabrera
          OF - I. Suzuki
          OF - M. Ramirez
          OF - M. Holliday
          UTIL - J. Thome
          UTIL - B. Upton
          BN - C. Figgins

SP - T. Gorzelanny
          SP - O. Perez
          RP - F. Carmona
          RP - C. Gaudin
          P - J. Schmidt
          P - M. Buerhle
          P - F. Hernandez
          P - D. Matsuzaka
          P - A. Burnett
          P - J. Shields
          P- J. Beckett
          DL - J. Johnson

Trades Ive made are...

K. Johnson and B. Colon for I. Suzuki

C. Granderson and B. Phillips for M. Holliday

M. DeRosa for B. Roberts

Key FA pickups - T. Gorzelanny, J. Shields, B. Upton, O. Perez, F. Carmona, K. Johnson

Undefeated in SB, 8-1 runs, 8-1 K, 7-2 W, 6-3 2B.. but I'm pretty sure my offense is more or less unbeatable at this point.
          Last edited by ToldLikeItIs; 06-05-2007, 11:51 PM.

What league are you guys playing in??

my scoring is very similar to you, and im not sure of my record at this time, but my lineup is very solid, or at least my pitching staff. im looking to dump abreu, but i feel that yankees will pull it together soon, and thats why im thinking of hanging on to him. my lineup is...

C- Brian Mccan
            1B- Mark Texiera
            2B- Jeff Kent/ Julio Lugo
            SS- Hanley Ramirez
            3B- David Wright
            OF- Carlos Beltran
            OF- Nick Swisher
            OF- Bobby Abreu
            U- Travis Hafner
            BN- Andre Ethier
            BN- Jaun Encarnacion
            BN- Dave Roberts
            BN- Sean Casey

SP-Ian Snell
            SP-Jered Weaver
            SP-Daisuke Matsuzaka
            SP-Dan Haren
            SP-Ben Sheets
            RP-Billy Wagner
            RP-Jose Valverde
            RP- Trevor Hoffman
            BN-JJ Putz
            BN-Armando Benitez
            BN-Jason Jennings
            BN-Jered Washburn

I think that is one stacked team. What do you think?

Trade I made

EDIT again sorry, my first trade was actually with Blalock too
            Ryan Howard and Hank Blalock for BOTH (can you beleive it) Beltran and Wright
            Ricky Weeks for AGAIN (can you believe it) Dan Haren
            Edwin Encarnacion for Brain Mccan

Seems im playing with some idiots!
            Last edited by Billingsley26; 06-06-2007, 10:13 AM.

I'm just playing in a pretty competitive ten team yahoo league, yeah those trades you made are ridiculous.

Originally posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
                I'm just playing in a pretty competitive ten team yahoo league, yeah those trades you made are ridiculous.
                Nice, I'm in a ten team league as well but in I like it, and there are some teams who are solid, but others who just dont know what they are doing. To be honest the guy I traded Ryan Howard + Blalock to is actually doing allright.

On another one of my teams that's in an extremely competitive keeper league I have to drop either Chris B. Young, Delmon Young, Hunter Pence or Elijah Dukes. I can keep three. Who should go?

It's a 5x5 league that has OBP instead of BA, so Dukes is actually a lot more valuable than you would think, b/c he gets a whole bunch of walks. Any ideas?

I would keep Chris Young, and you say you want to keep Dukes so it would be down to Delmon and Pence, overal Delmon has better stats, but Pence hasnt had the AB that Delmon has. I might stick with Pence, the only thing is that you might be able to get something for Delmon if you try to trade. Dropping either of them is tough. I still might say Delmon.

I'm not in love with Dukes. The only one I'm really huge on is Delmon. He won't get dropped b/c he has too much potential. It's basically between Dukes and Chris Young b/c I like what Pence gives me this year.

I like Dukes' power and plate discipline and I like how he bats in front of Upton and Crawford, but Chris Young is a potential 30/30 guy. There's the dilemna.

Ya thats a tough one. I like Delmon too and I think hes obvioulsy only going to get better. Chris Young, I would keep for sure. This is a tough one. Maybe drop Dukes. Id think of keeping Pence over Dukes.

What exactly is Pence's ceiling? B/c right now I'm kinda thinkin of the best case scenario. I'll probably end up getting rid of Dukes, but I think he could end up being pretty good.

Dukes could be good, but he's a total psychopath. You drop him, keep Pence, D. Young and C. Young.

Pence ceiling is Ted Williams, more realistic is Matt Holliday, which is still pretty damn good.

I'm just getting dominated this week btw in the hitting categories, my opponent has Carl Crawford, Berkman, Pujols, Uggla, Rollins, and Michael Barrett, of all people.

Debug Information