Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
    My post was directed at Ravens, who, by the way, makes it a habit to personally insult me every chance he gets, so yes, when he ***** up, Im going to hassle him about it. So in summary, get the **** over it.
    Sounds like little kids.

"BUT BUT HE STARTED!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
      Only one movie I want to watch right now......

If he dies, he dies.

*Rocky gives the death stare to end all death stares*
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• Awesome? Yes.

worker bees can leave
        even drones can fly away
        the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• Indeed awesome. There are 2 sequels on the way as well I believe.
          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
          The APS is strong in this one.
          Originally posted by killxswitch
          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I quite enjoy Tim Burton. I like the fact that he has a distinct style. When I pop in a Burton movie, you can tell its a Burton movie. There is a very unique style to his films, and I applaud him for being an auteur.

In fact, I watched Big Fish like 2 nights ago, and it is just as good as ever. Billy Crudup is the ******* man.
            P/o that distinct style is consistent use of Danny Elfman scores & casting Johnny Depp in the weirdest roles imaginable. You could say that Burton helped launch Depp's meteoric rise to the A-list with Edward Scissorhands 21 yrs ago.

Elfman has come a long way since the Simpsons theme (ripped off from the early 60s Hanna-Barbera cartoon series the Jetsons & the Flintstones, the Stone Age & the Future in animation series that illuminated my childhood), he did a couple of themes, then climbed the Hollywood movie music foodchain to scoring primetime series -- see the Desperate Housewives theme still owing a lot to the Simpsons/Jetsons themes from 20 yrs. ago. Elfman was ubiquitous in his movie themes a few yrs ago, arguably the most prolific & productive composer in recent filmdom. Somewhere in there he had time to form the underrated Orange County band Oingo Boingo, famous in SoCal for their annual Halloween party concert -- Attn: Angelenos, does that still happen there? just curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Elfman

Big Fish is really good, it adhered to the tall tale "fish story" central theme throughout -- If you're a Burton freak also chk. out Sleepy Hollow, imo a vvery underrated & underappreciated Burton film retelling the Ichabod Crane story from Washington Irving with Depp playing an Edgar Allen Poelike detective protagonist. Great ambience in the setting & spookiness, I give it 3 stars ***.

APS, don't let the critics of your diction depress you & your posting. Illigetimi non carborundum & all that, I for one appreciate your lexical elocution.
            Last edited by LizardState; 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
              blade runner is good, the director's cut is a much better version of it. cinematography goldmine.
              Blade Runner Director's Cut is cinematic scifi excellence, definitely top 5 material, instant classic. Harrison Ford & Sean Young got all the raves, but that supporting cast was the best ever, Rutger Hauer, Joanna Cassidy, M. Emmet Walsh, Edward James Olmos, all perfect in their roles. at least a 4-star **** film. Yes keylime it's well known for its CG future LA setting cinematography -- it's a p/o standard scifi discourse now to ref the Bladerunner Landscape.

I'd put the "ultimate" Director's Cut of Starship Troopers in the same category, Verhoeven cut some entire chapters from Heinlein's novel on to the cutting room floor, & some ps/o the novel (where were the Skinnies?) never made it on the videotape at all. Maybe Denise Richards' 1st onscreen nudity exposure cut from it too (see the shower scene), you never know, Troopers predates her in Wild Things.

Comment

Indeed awesome. There are 2 sequels on the way as well I believe.
                Fo sho. New York, I Love You and Tokyo! are the sequels I believe you are referring to.

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                Big Fish is really good, it adhered to the tall tale "fish story" central theme throughout -- If you're a Burton freak also chk. out Sleepy Hollow, imo a very underrated & underappreciated Burton film retelling the Ichabod Crane story from Washington Irving with Depp playing an Edgar Allen Poelike detective protagonist. Great ambience in the setting & spookiness, I give it 3 stars ***.
                Big Fish is fantastic. Could not agree more on Sleepy Hollow and how it is severely underrated. Tim Burton FTW.

worker bees can leave
                even drones can fly away
                the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by hobbes2053 View Post
                  Fo sho. New York, I Love You and Tokyo! are the sequels I believe you are referring to.

Big Fish is fantastic. Could not agree more on Sleepy Hollow and how it is severely underrated. Tim Burton FTW.
                  I thought it was Shanghai, but I could be wrong...And yay more Tim Burton love.
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                    Blade Runner Director's Cut is cinematic scifi excellence, definitely top 5 material, instant classic. Harrison Ford & Sean Young got all the raves, but that supporting cast was the best ever, Rutger Hauer, Joanna Cassidy, M. Emmet Walsh, Edward James Olmos, all perfect in their roles. at least a 4-star **** film. Yes keylime it's well known for its CG future LA setting cinematography -- it's a p/o standard scifi discourse now to ref the Bladerunner Landscape.
                    I'm gonna step on some toes here, but I don't really care.

What makes this movie enjoyable is beyond me. Maybe its like a Kubrick movie... maybe you have to watch it multiple times before its starts to grow on you. Blade Runner, after one viewing, probably a year ago, instantly went into the overrated category. It's repetitive and really boring. The ending is predictable. The acting? I wouldn't call the cast the best ever... to put it nicely. It's a bunch of expressionless faces that you can find in after school programs. Harrison Ford is one of the worst well known actors I've ever heard of. Not Keanu Reeves, Josh Hartnett or Orlando Bloom bad, but he's not far behind either. I honestly don't think I've ever seen him give a good performance. I have put off Clear and Present Danger for years because of him. My brother even owns it and he tells me how good it is and I pretty much refuse to watch it because of that worthless dweeb. Indiana Jones sucks. Harrison Ford sucks. His movies suck.

Anyway, I don't have a problem bashing Blade Runner since Ridley Scott has come out with "Director Cuts" and all that ****. If he knows he didn't get the movie right the first time, then I don't mind calling it dull. I have no desire to ever watch it again and I know I never will. The thing about a Kubrick movie is the impression that it leaves. Even though I disliked some of his movies after the first go, I went back and watched them again because there was some intrigue. A Clockwork Orange has one of the best acting performances ever given, by Malcolm McDowell, so that alone is worth a watch and the satire is still hilarious all these years later and after multiple viewings. 2001 is so slow moving and so boring and outdated that I can't bear to watch it again or convince someone to sit in front of a TV for 3 hrs watching a whole lot of nothing, but it is one of the most thought provoking movies I've ever seen. I can actually see why it's considered so great even though I strongly disagree. It left an impression long after I saw it. Blade Runner, on the other hand, isn't bringing me back. Not the cinematography, not the acting, not the repetitive story line, not the robots, not the unicorns, not nothing.

From what I've seen of this Tim Burton fella leaves me little desire to watch any of the movies I haven't seen of his. Sweeney Todd was visually easy on the eyes with some nice set and costume designs and cinematography, but that's about it. I don't go to movies for those three aspects. They make good movies great or average movies good if done exceptionally well. It made Sweeney Todd, an unbearable movie, almost bearable. Batman movies sucked. What Nolan has done just makes everything Batman related look so inferior it isn't even funny, and, without even trying, made Tim Burton look like an amateur without a vision. He seems like a guy you'll either love or hate. I'm on the hate side. Just not my kind of filmmaker.
                    Last edited by BigBanger; 06-23-2009, 08:10 PM.
                    Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                    Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                    I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                    Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                    iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                    Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                    I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                    Originally posted by GoRavens
                    Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• The new Indiana Jones sucks. The Original trilogy was awesome. Also prepare for CJ to smash you for dissing Han Solo

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                        The new Indiana Jones sucks. The Original trilogy was awesome. Also prepare for CJ to smash you for dissing Han Solo
                        I couldn't even get through the second Indiana Jones. Turned it off 30 minutes in and haven't looked back since, so these 4th and 5th profit induced movies aren't getting me to watch.

Han Solo is the only redeemable character / performance. I consider it the epitome of average, but at least I didn't think he ruined the movie.
                        Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                        Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                        I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                        Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                        iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                        Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                        I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                        Originally posted by GoRavens
                        Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Are you like some sort of satire?

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• The thing that makes Blade Runner so well received is the cinematography and advanced graphics for the time it was released, not the story. It is also a very good story, but the reason it is so high on many lists is the effects.

But I couldn't agree more on Tim Burton. I don't think he's terrible, but I personally don't like his movies. I thought Willy Wonka sucked, Sweeney Todd was ok, and just didn't like Edward Scissorhands, to name a few. However, I loved Nightmare Before Xmas as a kid and Beetleguise is amazing.

I am looking forward to Alice in Wonderland, though.

Comment

• BigBanger is quickly becoming one of my favorite posters. His posts are absolutely magnificent. Keep up the good work, champ.

Indiana Jones>>>You.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                                The thing that makes Blade Runner so well received is the cinematography and advanced graphics for the time it was released, not the story. It is also a very good story, but the reason it is so high on many lists is the effects.

But I couldn't agree more on Tim Burton. I don't think he's terrible, but I personally don't like his movies. I thought Willy Wonka sucked, Sweeney Todd was ok, and just didn't like Edward Scissorhands, to name a few. However, I loved Nightmare Before Xmas as a kid and Beetleguise is amazing.

I am looking forward to Alice in Wonderland, though.
                                It seems like you have had limited exposure to Burton. Personally, I think its his lesser known projects which are better. Big Fish and Ed Wood are my favorite films of his, although I do love Nightmare Before Christmas as well. I am eagerly anticipating Frankenweenie.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information