Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
    I said almost racist. May have been a bad word. I meant that if he was trying to somehow be respectful to Native Americans by the portrayal, it didn't come off as that. It came off as corny to me, and thus a bit disrespectful by classifying the aliens as weird enough to warrant a weird race to be modeled after.
    It's just like The Princess and The Frog....In my African-American Studies class this semester, my professor showed us some essays about how it has a hidden racial message.

Because the black princess is supposed to expose the African American community/culture, yet they turn her into a frog for almost the entire movie.

It's stupid. Not every movie has a "deeper" meaning or hidden aganeda. Avatar is just flat out a good action and fantasy flick. It kicked all kinds of *** in my book

Comment

• Well Avatar has some pretty blatant messages behind it, actually.

Others however, will make connections that arent there in some other movies, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

• My friend just called me as he acquired 100 different DVD screeners of movies that were too bad to be released or straight to DVD release. Including titles such as Fired Up and The Grudge 3. I kinda want to watch all 100 hundred to see how bad movies can be.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
          40 Year Old Virgin is on USA.. Everyone in the movie is awesome.. Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, the MC Hammer guy, and of course Carrell.. I don't think I could get tired of this movie.
          I just wanna commend you for recognizing that guy as the actor that played MC Hammer in the VH1 special.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
            My friend just called me as he acquired 100 different DVD screeners of movies that were too bad to be released or straight to DVD release. Including titles such as Fired Up and The Grudge 3. I kinda want to watch all 100 hundred to see how bad movies can be.
            My friend bought something similar to that two years ago, every once in awhile we'll all pull out one and have a great time.

Oh and idk where anyone would find this but has anyone seen peter jacksons film bad taste which I believe he made with a bunch of his friends in college ( what I was told.) its awesomeness.

Originally posted by WMD
            Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
            Originally posted by gpngc
            I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
              It's stupid. Not every movie has a "deeper" meaning or hidden aganeda. Avatar is just flat out a good action and fantasy flick. It kicked all kinds of *** in my book
              Ass isn't censored, so do you think the movie kicked all kinds of homosxexual?

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Damn, I forgot 2012 came out already.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                  Ass isn't censored, so do you think the movie kicked all kinds of homosxexual?
                  Hah, I thought it would get censored anyway so I just put the *'s. To me, the movie was excellent.

ASS.

Comment

• Just watched 500 Days of Summer and it didn't disappoint. Very good movie, but I would put Basterds ahead of it for my top movie of the year. Plan on watching Star Trek and Moon later this week.

Comment

• Just got back from Avatar. Good first half, amazing second half. The story is pretty conventional and the writing is a little cliche at times, but man that thing was ******* beautiful. I wasn't really blown away by any of the CG until Neytiri's first scene, some of her facial expressions were just ridiculously good. And on that, how good was Zoe Saldana in her role? Even if it was just a blue,alien, CG version of her, her performance was amazing. She stole the show. Just a great fun movie to watch.

Unless you have a ridiculous set up at home, watch this in theaters. Seriosuly the whole time while I was watching, I was wishing I could have seen it in an IMAX theater.
                      Last edited by Paul; 12-23-2009, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
                        It's just like The Princess and The Frog....In my African-American Studies class this semester, my professor showed us some essays about how it has a hidden racial message.

Because the black princess is supposed to expose the African American community/culture, yet they turn her into a frog for almost the entire movie.

I didn't say it had a hidden agenda. Cameron probably genuinely wanted to exalt Native American culture. But doing it so blatantly through aliens is disrespectful. No one's gonna think you're equal/worthy of rights/etc. if someone's idea of respecting your culture is to copy your culture onto a fake alien race.

by BoneKrusher
                        <DG> how metal unseen
                        <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
                          I didn't say it had a hidden agenda. Cameron probably genuinely wanted to exalt Native American culture. But doing it so blatantly through aliens is disrespectful. No one's gonna think you're equal/worthy of rights/etc. if someone's idea of respecting your culture is to copy your culture onto a fake alien race.
                          Why not? You have to parallel it somehow. I seroiusly don't think any one deciding on such an issue is going to go, 'Well, Avatar used a fake alien race to try and parallel them. No rights/respect/equality for you! Because of Avatar! Who deserves rights/respect/equality when they're paralleled in Avatar?'.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

• holy ******* dick **** avatar 3d is amazing

Comment

• Originally posted by Cigaro View Post
                              Why not? You have to parallel it somehow. I seroiusly don't think any one deciding on such an issue is going to go, 'Well, Avatar used a fake alien race to try and parallel them. No rights/respect/equality for you! Because of Avatar! Who deserves rights/respect/equality when they're paralleled in Avatar?'.
                              Yeah, I felt I didn't say that right. I don't think anyone is deciding based off of Avatar, but we're talking about perceptions here. And what I meant was that to be perceived as something you saw in the movie theatre in an alien flick is the disrespectful part.

by BoneKrusher
                              <DG> how metal unseen
                              <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• Now playing:

worker bees can leave
                                even drones can fly away
                                the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information