No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McAdams is smokin. I drafted her in this recent hot chick draft!

Yesterday, I watched Love Actually and Bad Santa as Christmas movies. Bill Nighy makes the entire movie of Love Actually so awesome. Hes criminally underrated.

And I just got back from Avatar, and holy ****, what a beautiful movie. I absolutely loved it. I found it terribly predictable, but you know what? It didnt matter. I knew what was coming, but I still had to SEE it for myself, because it just looked so god damned good. Good acting, solid story, and Ill be damned if it doesnt win every single visual effects Oscar there is. I revoke any and all complaints I made over the initial trailer looking cartoony...that was spectacular. Jimmy Cameron knows his **** and does Canada proud. Probably the most visually stimulating and impressive film I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Bill Nighy is just one of many people that make Love, Actually awesome.

Avatar was very good, but I can only take my praise so far. I can see these visuals, recognize their greatness, but I just don't get excited over it.

Comment

• Also, along with Bill Nighy, Giovanni Ribisi is very underrated and is a fantastic character actor. He makes every movie he is in better.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Love, Actually is such an awesome movie

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Saw the trailer for Legion.... really? Angels battling with assault rifles and swords? I like Paul Bettany though.

Comment

• Can't wait to go see Avatar. I bought my whole family tickets to Australia's only Imax cinema so it should be awesome. Still a week away though. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
                Sherlock Holmes was solid. Rachel McCadams needs to do more movies.
                She is absolutely gorgeous.

worker bees can leave
                even drones can fly away
                the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• just watched "away we go". had low expectations but thoroughly enjoyed maya rudolph and john krasinski's comedic chemistry. the ending was too sentimental for my tastes though.

Comment

• Best Christmas present to self: 2-disc director's cut of Inglorius Basterds, with Tarantino commentary. So popular it's delayed a wk. in the mail, stupid Amazon sellers.... the presents you have to wait for are better, all that built-up anticipation, ya know.

I hope it's simultaneous comments in a marquee scroll or caption as the film progresses (as opposed to audio voiceovers) like Ridley Scott did for the Kingdom of Heaven DVD.

Of course a poignant review of same for my fellow posters & QT fanboys will be forthcoming.

Comment

• This right here!
                      -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by thefalconer View Post
                        just watched "away we go". had low expectations but thoroughly enjoyed maya rudolph and john krasinski's comedic chemistry. the ending was too sentimental for my tastes though.
                        I saw that a week or so ago coincidentally. I thought Kransinski was great but there was so many scenes that the movie tries to be deep and it just falls flat.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                          McAdams is smokin. I drafted her in this recent hot chick draft!

Yesterday, I watched Love Actually and Bad Santa as Christmas movies. Bill Nighy makes the entire movie of Love Actually so awesome. Hes criminally underrated.

And I just got back from Avatar, and holy ****, what a beautiful movie. I absolutely loved it. I found it terribly predictable, but you know what? It didnt matter. I knew what was coming, but I still had to SEE it for myself, because it just looked so god damned good. Good acting, solid story, and Ill be damned if it doesnt win every single visual effects Oscar there is. I revoke any and all complaints I made over the initial trailer looking cartoony...that was spectacular. Jimmy Cameron knows his **** and does Canada proud. Probably the most visually stimulating and impressive film I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning.
                          Avatar was stunning-spectacular-agreed it was not cartoony at all-the na'vi looked great and I enjoyed it but I would be remiss not to mention the recurring Cameron theme of depicting minorities (even ones in blue get up) in an unfavorable light. Avatar is probably his most racially friendly movie with it's theme of an indigenous people being brutalized by a market driven corporation but he couldn't resist making the Caucasian army grunt the king of the natives-i'm sure nobody ever thought to fly above that thing before.

The movie was incredibly entertaining and a positive story about the value of nature and courage and it could be left at that but from my perspective movies like this and countless others that reinvent the theme of the "white savior" is past cliche. Maby the wrong forum to even suggest race matters but this is the movie thread.;)

In more depth..read to the end..http://dallaspenn.com/weblog/?p=3915

Originally posted by borg9
                          Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post

This right here!
                            This looks impressive-hadn't seen a trailer yet. Thanks for the hype.

Originally posted by borg9
                            Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
                              This looks impressive-hadn't seen a trailer yet. Thanks for the hype.
                              No prob. I thnk it looks friggin great. The other trailers look even better.
                              I love me some werewolf movies and this looks to be like a great one.

**** Twilight
                              -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                                McAdams is smokin. I drafted her in this recent hot chick draft!

Good acting and solid story? I would have to disagree. I thought the acting was pretty poor all around and the predictability of the story made it a lot less entertaining. I (obviously) agree with your assessment of the visual effects - they were amazing.

Avatar is how video game movies need to be done. Could you imagine a motion capture Master Chief or Solid Snake doing some ridiculous things on screen? Can't wait til effects like those are the norm.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information