Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SugarSean View Post
    Just watched Burn After Reading. Hated it. Just a horrible movie.
    I just watched this yesterday. Afterwards, I let it sink in for a while before deciding whether or not it was any good...I was pretty excited to finally see Burn After Reading, but I agree. Stupid movie, nothing enjoyable about it.

The acting isn't bad at all, but what's to like about this? The final scene made me laugh and so did George Clooney several times, but not much else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
      The difference in that movie is that the movie is about Brad Pitt's character, and that is not true of The Dark Knight really. And both Bale and Eckhart got more screen time, and Oldman may have gotten more as well.
      Actually that movie is not about Jesse James. I assume you have yet to see it?

It's Robert Ford's movie and the director even has the title in a very distinct lettering. Affleck was the actual lead actor with far more screen time. I consider them co-leads since Pitt is so vital to the film and shares a good enough chunk.

Ya got Jesse James in these big bold letters because he's the legend and underneath you got Robert Ford in small letters with the publicly attached "coward" in front of it. The film depicts the perception of Jesse James's death and it's told through Robert Ford's side. If it wasn't about Robert Ford the last fifteen minutes would not exit. The movie would have ended when James was killed. But it doesn't. The film ends with Ford's death and before that, the best part of the film, the fallout of assassinating a legend and how the world went from praising him to hating him.

Or how about The Departed? We start and end with Colin Sullivan. It's not DiCaprio's movie. It's Colin Sullivan's movie. It was marketed with DiCaprio as the lead, because let's face it... he's the bigger name, and that's the only reason. DiCaprio is a lead just as much as Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson are.
      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
      Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
      I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
      Originally posted by bearsfan_51
      iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
      Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
      I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
      Originally posted by GoRavens
      Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

Avatar in 3D was much better than than the standard childrens' story I expected. Wearing the glasses was a hassle & lots of people complained of headaches afterward but I thought it was a nice cherry on top. I recommend the 3D version over the standard one, deeintely something you want to see on the big screen vs. on a DVD, so you might as well see the 3D.

There is lots of Frank Herbert's Dune in the themes of this film (Dune Productions listed in the credits, coincidence?) & a wholelotta James Cameron's Aliens from 1986 in it too: lots of continuity with future interstellar Marines vs. aliens, those robotoid hydraulic walkers, & of course Sigourney Weaver.

Viewers get their money's worth here, "It's all up there on the screen!" -- all $300M & 5 yrs. in production & it shows. You might wince like I did many times at the Native American links & references to the indigenous Pandorans & the overwhelming political correctness of this environmentalist utopia but it's a minor consideration, you're took busy being awed by the stunning visuals on the screen. I give it 4 stars ****.
        Last edited by LizardState; 12-31-2009, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
          I don't know why, but Event Horizon sends a chill down my spine every time. That movie terrifies me.
          Event Horizon is Dead Calm set in outer space, same director too, Ridley Scott's brother Tony. The alternate ending was presented in the feature film version before the final ending just for thrills.

Joely Richardson was the best thing about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
            There is lot of Frank Herbert's Dune in the themes of this film (Dune Productions listed in the credits, coincidence?) & a wholelotta James Cameron's Aliens from 1986 in it too: lots of continuity with future interstellar Marines vs. aliens, those robotoid hydraulic walkers, & of course Sigourney Weaver.
            So help me, I just watched both Dune and Aliens yesterday and was thinking the same thing. I can see the similarities between the Fremen and the NA'vi.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
              I recently picked up a copy of Lost In Translation. Have not put that to use, yet.

It was a boring day, so we just stayed at the cheap movies for a while. Saw The Men Who Stare at Goats and Law Abiding Citizen. I've already forgotten 99% of both. Somehow in my time there I did not realize that Pirate Radio was playing. Bah.
              A Serious Man at the cheapies in the Cheek

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• i watched The Cube. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE ACTING

Comment

• Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                  i watched The Cube. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE ACTING
                  What! The old movie? Cult classic!? ..unforgettable line..."You don't want the boot!"

Originally posted by borg9
                  Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

• I love movies like Primer and The Cube. Made for like $5, but still goes on to **** with your head.

Comment

• Gleaming The Cube.

Comment

• Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                        A Serious Man at the cheapies in the Cheek
                        I was already supposed to see that with someone else, but I didn't even really think about it. It better still be up next week. Doubt I was with people that would've wanted to watch it, anyway. I had enough interest in the other two to not put up a fight (don't ask about Law Abiding Citizen).

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                          Actually that movie is not about Jesse James. I assume you have yet to see it?
                          Actually I have. I know the movie is more about Robert Ford but he is molded and shaped by Jesse James and his actions, and in a way that is what makes Pitt the lead as much as Denzel is the lead in Training Day (even though Ethan Hawke is).

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Extract, along with Zack and Miri, is the best comedy I've seen since Borat. Affleck kills it. Jason Batemen is one of the few lead actors in comedies that provides as much laughs as the over-the-top side characters (Like Affleck) and David Koechner gave an indescribable performance. I think I like Koechner's performance the most sine I know that neighbor he's attempting to portray.
                            I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                            iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                            Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                              Actually I have. I know the movie is more about Robert Ford but he is molded and shaped by Jesse James and his actions, and in a way that is what makes Pitt the lead as much as Denzel is the lead in Training Day (even though Ethan Hawke is).
                              Well, yeah, duh... that's whole point of his character. He was kinda obsessed of with him, which bordered on brokeback mountain ****. I was fully expecting a Jesse James movie. Then when James died, I thought, "Okay its over. That was really good... Wait a minute, what's all this stuff? Jesse James is dead. What's left to be told?" The first time I actually didn't like the ending, then I watched it again and realized this is the first telling of Robert Ford's side of the story, which is what the director said, so I'm kinda paraphrasing him there. I quickly grew to appreciate the final 15 minutes or so after James's death. Rockwell and Affleck have some of their best moments.

That's another good example. Denzel really isn't the lead guy, not enough to put Hawke into supporting anyway. They both are leads. Denzel gives the better performance because he simply dwarfs Hawke's performance. Kind of like Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy in The Last King of Scotland or Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. I don't remember anyone talking about any other performance from The Dark Knight other than Ledger's. He gave one of the greatest performances ever. To say he dwarfed everyone else on screen would be an enormous understatement. He's going in my leading category and as the best acting performance of the decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post

Extract, along with Zack and Miri, is the best comedy I've seen since Borat. Affleck kills it. Jason Batemen is one of the few lead actors in comedies that provides as much laughs as the over-the-top side characters (Like Affleck) and David Koechner gave an indescribable performance. I think I like Koechner's performance the most sine I know that neighbor he's attempting to portray.
                                Maybe i'm in the minority but i thought Zack and Miri was a terrible movie
                                Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information