Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by singe_101 View Post
    District 9 was one of the best movies of the year and I wasn't even at much of a theater.

A realistic portrayal of the grand moment of aliens arriving, only for disappointment and bullying, and realistic anti-hero on a shoestring budget with a no-name cast. It alternates between being raw and polished, understated and spectacular. Hell, they throw in a battlesuit (at the Avatar level) and splatter.

It also reveals a ton without beating the audience bluntly. Watch the rescue scene and firefight again, IMO.

This is what movies like Total Recall wish they could be, or a modern nod to Blade Runner.
    How do you know what a realistic portrayal of aliens is in the first place?

Comment

District 9 was one of the best movies of the year and I wasn't even at much of a theater.

A realistic portrayal of the grand moment of aliens arriving, only for disappointment and bullying, and realistic anti-hero on a shoestring budget with a no-name cast. It alternates between being raw and polished, understated and spectacular. Hell, they throw in a battlesuit (at the Avatar level) and splatter.

It also reveals a ton without beating the audience bluntly. Watch the rescue scene and firefight again, IMO.

This is what movies like Total Recall wish they could be, or a modern nod to Blade Runner.
      The biggest problem that modern films have. Everyone is so focused on delivering a great looking experience that subtlety and nuance are forgotten. If a movie trusts its audience, trusts in their thinking ability and comprehension, that gets big marks in my regard. I think the majority of movie-goers get it more than Holywood appreciates.

Comment

It also reveals a ton without beating the audience bluntly.
        Except for the premise, which was sort of slammed over our head.

Comparing this movie to Blade Runner is going way to far in my esitmation. It was a interesting idea that looked great and was well made, but in my opinion it was pretty far from spectacular.

Comment

• Well....Not gonna lie.

I really like The Darjeeling Limited, but I am a particularily big fan of Wes Anderson's 'style'

Comment

• I quite enjoyed Darjeeling Limited, but it doesnt hold a candle to any of Anderson's other flicks.

Also, District 9 didnt hold up nearly as well on the 2nd viewing. I at first held it as one of the best sci fi movies of the year, but after a 2nd viewing of all, it comes in 4th to Moon, Star Trek, and Avatar.
            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
            The APS is strong in this one.
            Originally posted by killxswitch
            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• District 9 > Avatar.

Originally posted by WMD
              Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
              Originally posted by gpngc
              I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• District 9 was better than Star Trek also, imo. I liked Star Trek but, Bana was the lamest villain ever...and it was pretty anticlimactic, loved the effects, though.

I'd go Moon, District 9, Star Trek...in that order. I havent seen Avatar yet.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

Comment

• D9 > Star Trek > Avatar > Moon

That is the order that I'd happily see those movies in.

Comment

• District 9 was nothing special. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I never saw it again. Good sci-fi movie, but not great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                      District 9 > Avatar.
                      wow, that's just wrong.
                      GO RAVENS

Comment

• D9>Moon>Avatar=Star Trek

I ******* loved District 9. All great movies though.

Comment

• Youth in Revolt was awkwardly entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoRavens View Post
                            wow, that's just wrong.
                            I don't know how to take this. At least District 9 approached the whole Sci-Fi genre in a way that was original as opposed to Avatar which offered little as far as story goes.

Of the big Sci-Fi movies this year, Avatar in my opinion was the worst film. However, due to the amazing visuals it does warrant some of the success it is getting in award circles.

Comment

• Star Trek > District 9 > Avatar for me. I haven't watched Moon yet.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                                District 9 > Avatar.
                                I didnt care much for either of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information