No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technically, its impossible for the best movie to win. (500) Days of Summer and Moon weren't even nominated.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• I hope they give it to Quentin Tarantino.

Comment

• Avatar is a one time experience in my opinion. I've seen in twice and it wasn't nearly as good the second time as it was the first. The impressive visuals blow you away the first time you see it and then upon further viewings you notice how average the movie as a whole really is.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
          Technically, its impossible for the best movie to win. (500) Days of Summer and Moon weren't even nominated.
          Agreed. I just really don't want Avatar to win.

worker bees can leave
          even drones can fly away
          the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by P-L View Post
            Avatar is a one time experience in my opinion. I've seen in twice and it wasn't nearly as good the second time as it was the first. The impressive visuals blow you away the first time you see it and then upon further viewings you notice how average the movie as a whole really is.

The second time I watched it, the wow factor wore off and I was amazed at how long the film feels. Length, in and of itself, does not bother me but it does annoy me when the ending was telegraphed from the very beginning of the film, completely lacking dramatic tension, and still I had to wait for the big showdown for two hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
              Worst decisions:

Annie Hall over Star Wars
              Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption

I disagree that picking Annie Hall over Star Wars was the wrong decision. It had great acting, an unbelievable screenplay, not to mention the influence it had.

However I agree that both Shawshank and Pulp Fiction were more deserving than Forrest Gump

Comment

• Annie Hall is amazing.

Comment

• I've never seen Forrest Gump beginning to end. I've seen the whole movie, but always in bits here and there. I've never been too impressed with it the way I was with both Shawshank and Pulp.

worker bees can leave
                  even drones can fly away
                  the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• Haha, the Avatar backlash is ridiculous now. Its amazing how up and down the opinion on this movie has been... from the same people, mind you. One day its amazing, the next day its severely overrated "based on further examination"

And the story. Who cares if its not Memento? You know why Star Wars is awesome? Its certainly not because of the brilliant screenplay. Simple stories are the best stories most of the time. Up in the Air was a simple story. An Education was a simple story. 99% of every rom com in history has the same exact story. So on and so forth. Besides, its not like anyone has nominated it for best screenplay. Most movies that come out now could be singled out and ripped apart for not being original if people wanted to do it.

Also, for what its worth, I dont think there was ANYTHING wrong with the acting in Avatar. I think people are just jumping on that for the sake of jumping on something about it.

People just start hating things because they get tired of hearing about it. Thats why Twilight is so hated; when most people havent bothered to actually read the book or see the movie (granted, neither are good, but the point still stands - 80% of the people who wish death upon Robert Pattinson have no real basis for it other than being annoyed by its popularity and success)

Originally posted by hobbes2053 View Post
                    If Avatar wins "Best Picture," I won't ever watch the Oscars again. There are much better and more deserving films instead of the one that "rakes in all the cash." Just because tons of people see a movie does not make it the best of the year, by any means.
                    You DO realize how ridiculous of a statement that is, right? Every single year, all people ***** about is the Academy rewarding small grossing Oscar Bait films over box office successes, no matter the quality. Now the opinions are suddenly reversed, and theyre only rewarding it becuase its popular?

Comment

• Just to clarify, I haven't seen Avatar nor do I have any real desire to. I just thinks it's ridiculous that since Cameron spent an ass-load of money on the movie that it somehow deserves an award. Give it the effects and wardrobe awards. But best picture? No ******* way.

And as for the simple story point, most movies don't have terribly complicated plots. And that's not my problem with Avatar, although it is a deterrent for me. I don't like the fact that people got all googly over it because of the effects and all the money that was put into it. My two roommates are prime examples of people who go for that kind of stuff, so you can see where my bitterness originates.

worker bees can leave
                      even drones can fly away
                      the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• Pirates 3, Superman Returns, and Spider Man 3 spent assloads of money too. They didnt win oscars though. Why? Because they werent great movies.

I wont even start on the whole forming a harsh opinion on something without bothering to actually watch it first, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by comahan View Post
                          Haha, the Avatar backlash is ridiculous now. Its amazing how up and down the opinion on this movie has been... from the same people, mind you. One day its amazing, the next day its severely overrated "based on further examination"
                          For the record, Unseen and I both said how unimpressed we were with the movie beyond the visuals after seeing it for the first time.

And on the whole popularity-warranting-oscars-thing: if they wanted to give a movie that made a ton of money Best Picture, they would have nominated TDK last year.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Yea, im not singling anyone out, I dont remember anyones opinions on it from this board. I just mean widespread opinion atm seems to be that its 'not that good, really' after being touted as amazing for a month.

Comment

• When people first see it, it's amazing, and then after a few weeks it becomes "cool" to not like it so opinions change.

Originally posted by fenikz
                              His soft D really turns me off
                              ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• Originally posted by P-L View Post
                                Avatar is a one time experience in my opinion. I've seen in twice and it wasn't nearly as good the second time as it was the first. The impressive visuals blow you away the first time you see it and then upon further viewings you notice how average the movie as a whole really is.
                                Exactly. If there was a "Best Experience" award, hell yes give it to Avatar. But best movie, best story, best plot, best acting? No way.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information