No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's get this back to great movies... ill present two that were more visually stunning than Avatar without having to spend 1 billion dollars (or a million).

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
      Technically, its impossible for the best movie to win. (500) Days of Summer and Moon weren't even nominated.
      Those are my top 2 movies as well. Maybe not in that exact order, but regardless, I think you and I might have some kind of special connection based on my amazing taste in movies.

Anyway, watched a movie I thought had a lot of potential, but flamed out into a traditional, run-of-the-mill, corny romance movie.

The first 2/3 of Loves Happens is a great movie centered around a deeply complex character played by Aaron Eckhart (which slowly unveils how fake and two-faced as well as emotionally paralyzed he is). Eckhart is perfect for this role and I think he was really terrific (I think he's overrated and have not seen one movie I thought he was any good in), but the character arc and the overall ending of the film was sentimental garbage. It's a dark character study forced into a romance with a happy ending. It is a very dark and emotionally driven film (which was surprising). Eckhart is an author turned self-help guru for people who are trying to overcome the loss of loved ones, he knows how to accomplish (getting over the death of a son, father, wife, husband, daughter, ect.) this from his experience of losing his wife to car accident. Eckhart is a great talker (See Thank You for Smoking) and he has that similar character where he's on stage talking to people. He kicks the **** out of this role. The character simply flames out into cliched ****.

John Carroll Lynch, best known for the quite husband to Marge Gunderson in Fargo, gives an exceptional performance of a father so stricken with guilt of the death of his son that his life and everything around him has fallen to pieces. Loss of his job, loss of his wife. Loses everything. It's a little much, but the movie is so dark for so long, I got the feeling (or hope) that this wouldn't turn into the same romance movie I've seen a thousand times. Then I looked at the cover and knew the inevitable was going to happen. Aniston, who has a minor part, would take him back for all his flaws.

Five Easy Pieces is on TV right now and it's a shame movies aren't made like this today (Not that the state of movies is in as bad a shape as some may lead you to believe). Movies with this kind of bravado to end the movie with a character that doesn't make the right decision, or the easy one or that one that serves a happy ending. Love Happens could have been that kind of movie. Just once I would like to see a movie with a lying piece of **** continue to be a lying piece of ****. To not see him get the girl. To not see him make an amends with his step-father and to not see the teary eyed ending. Love Happens could have been original and unique and refreshing. Instead, it's the same old, same old.
      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
      Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
      I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
      Originally posted by bearsfan_51
      iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
      Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
      I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
      Originally posted by GoRavens
      Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Love for Moon and the great John Carroll Lynch.

Now that is a quality post.

Comment

• 500 Days of Summer and Moon are not even close to being the best films of the year...

Comment

• The Damned United was fantastic, see it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
              The Damned United was fantastic, see it now.
              Yes! Im a big fan of that movie as well.

How great were Sheen and Spall? Sheen is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors with fantastic performance after fantastic performance.

Comment

• Yeah, Sheen's acting really made the movie for me. So many things constantly going on with his facial expressions, you can't take your eyes off him for a second.

Comment

• I definitely just watched a movie called "Barack Obama and the Hidden Cabal Behind the Plot to Murder America" and turned it into a drinking game only to make myself so drunk that typing this is ckilling me.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• If Avatar wins best picture they should have just nominated Transformers 2 for gods sake.

Originally posted by WMD
                    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                    Originally posted by gpngc
                    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                      500 Days of Summer and Moon are not even close to being the best films of the year...
                      Granted I haven't seen all the movies nominated this year but 500 Days of Summer and Moon were fantastic and should've been nominated.

Two of the best movies I've seen in a long while.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                      Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                        If Avatar wins best picture they should have just nominated Transformers 2 for gods sake.
                        Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

worker bees can leave
                        even drones can fly away
                        the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• So I don't want this to turn into a political discussion but I finally got to watch I.O.U.S.A recently and thought I should recommend it. Excellent doc if anyone is interested about our financial crisis/government finance. David Walker, the former Comptroller General, plays a big part in it.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                          Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

• Originally posted by hobbes2053 View Post
                            Thank you. My thoughts exactly.
                            Avatar was visually incredible and a fun 2 1/2 hours, but it left me wanting more. The dialog made me cringe though and the acting was sub-par (on the human side).

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                            Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                              If Avatar wins best picture they should have just nominated Transformers 2 for gods sake.
                              This is one of the stupidest things posted in this thread, and trust me, there has been some pretty dumb **** in here. The difference between Transformers 2 and Avatar is astronomical. You could drive a ******* truck through the plot holes in Transformers, and as cliched as some of the dialogue in Avatar was, it had nothing on the "dialogue", and yes, I use the term loosely there, that was in Transformers. Both visual effects spectacles? You bet. Remotely close on the movie scale? Absolutely not. Avatar was, for all intents and purposes, a good film, even if you dont think its worthy of Best Picture. Transformers 2 was an abomination and Michael Bay is actually becoming a worse filmmaker as he goes on...something very very rare.
                              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                              The APS is strong in this one.
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Moreover, it's not like the visual effects were even close to the same. Transformers 2's action scenes were over crowded, noisy, and featured exploding objects for no particular reason. Avatar's visual effects crafted a world that mostly succeeded at being stunningly beautiful and put as much effort into the effects being a method of immersing you in the story as it did towards having the effects deliver the final conflict.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information