Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
    Gangs of New York is the better performance and the better movie.
    Strangely once more I find myself agreeing with Brod. I think most of the problems with the film of TWBB lie in its textual source, the novel Oil by the great American Naturalist writer Upton Sinclair. The whole point of the novel was Sinclair's social commentary on these upstart oil companies & the titans who ran them who were suddenly getting gazillionaire rich by sheer ruthlessness & intimidation, & that would've been very contemporary when viewed from the perspective of today's politically ultra-powerful oil companies, & that was brought out precisely in the film Syriana IMO but I digress. But when the Sinclair novel of the 1920s was adapted for current audiences a lot of that zeitgeist of the 1920s was lost -- see works of the best American writer of the 20s F. Scott Fitzgerald (Curious Case of Benjamin Button, umpteen remakes of Great Gatsby, etc) & they had the same problem. It was just a fictional work out of time when it went on the big screen -- maybe current audiences have seen those themes all done before & done better.

Scorsese hit the atmosphere of Hollywood in its Golden Age of the 30s almost perfectly with The Aviator, that early nightclub scene where he's blown off Louis B. Mayer trying to borrow 2 cameras was priceless, as were the vintage aircraft, & I wanted to stand & applaud when DeCaprio/Hughes told the Hepburn family of snobbish New England dilletantes off at the dinner table with "Some of us have to work for a living," Hughes was actually refused marriage permission by Katherine's family b/c he was a nouveauriche Texan in their eyes, really happened, ironic b/c the real Hughes could have bought & sold them all several times over.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by George Lippard :
    Never understood the Gangs of NY love, at all.
    I'm suprised you didn't love it considering it was one of the darker periods in New York City history.
    Scorsese is a master at creating an atmosphere through recreating actual historical incidents -- In GONY my fave aspect of the whole film was the historical accuracy imposed on a dynamic chapter of NYC history, the Civil War, the director really did his research & it showed or he's watches more of the History Channel than I do. The P.T. Barnum elephant breaking loose during the draft riots they had to call out Federal troops to put down, the names of the Irish gangs, the crooked Tammany Hall political backroom deals & vote buying, the US Army recruiting Irish immigrants right off the gangplanks of arriving ships, all that actually happened & Scorsese used it as a magnificent backdrop for his film.
    Last edited by LizardState; 02-19-2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• Oh its on...These arent in any specific order, just 10 that are better...keep in mind, these are characters, not dramatic performances, although I guess that plays a part as well

The Joker (The Dark Knight)
      Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)
      Gollum (LOTR trilogy)
      Jason Bourne (Bourne Trilogy)
      Ron Burgundy (Anchorman)
      Benjamin Button (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
      Patrick Bateman (American Psycho)

Debateable
      Amelie (Amelie)
      Anton Chigurh (No Country for Old Men)
      Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.)
      Mal Reynolds (Serenity)
      The Bride (Kill Bill)
      V (V for Vendetta)

Ok, in retrospect, Plainview is pretty badass, so maybe all those dont apply to him. But they are all better then Bill the Butcher. So there! He sucks!
      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
      The APS is strong in this one.
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Maybe
        No
        I prefer Gandalf
        Eh
        No
        Is that a joke? Button's a good story but he is not a great character
        Probably

Maybe
        No
        Bruce Wayne is better
        Nah
        No, I'd take Landa for QT movies this decade
        No

There we go, only one probably better and a few maybe's. Your failure to list Joel Barrish makes you seem worse.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• The only one I might give you is V. Bill the Butcher is bad ass.

Comment

• ESSM is my #2 movie of all time, but as far as characters go, I like Clementine's character more then Joel.

Oh, and Wall-E. He is way cooler then Bill.
            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
              ESSM is my #2 movie of all time, but as far as characters go, I like Clementine's character more then Joel.

Oh, and Wall-E. He is way cooler then Bill.
              Joel's a better character than Benjamin Button.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                This is the 3rd Dennis Lehane work commited to film recently, Scorsese has directed at least 2 now.
                Again, this is his first adaptation of a Lehane novel. I don't know where you get at least two. Clint Eastwood and Ben Affleck have rights to Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone. Two fantastic movies. I think Mystic River is the best of 2003 and Gone Baby Gone more in the 6 to 8 range of 2007 (In most years probably top 5). Shutter Island might the third best of the bunch, but it's an excellent movie with a phenomenal final act.

Very happy with Shutter Island. I thought Leo gave one of the better performances of his career. I think there is no topping his performance in The Aviator, which is just one of Scorsese' masterpieces. I read LizardState give his critiques of the performance, which are the general issues that his detractors give. Did he walk, talk and look like the real Howard Hughes? No, not at all, but it didn't matter to me. It was a performance and a brilliant one. There are so many brilliantly constructed scenes and so many perfectly acted scenes from both DiCaprio and Alda. The ending is one of my favorite endings in any movie. A perfect movie with one of the best performance of the decade from DiCaprio.

I'm also a big fan of his performance in Catch Me if You Can, which I think is a truly great movie, and he turns in a performance in Shutter Island more on that level than his career best.

I think he's been a bit overrated in The Departed, probably my favorite movie, but I think everyone showed him up outside of Vera Farmiga. Nicholson and Damon both give a couple of their best performances of their careers. I also thought he was miscast in Gangs of New York, which does have one of the best performances of the decade from DDL and maybe the best set piece I've ever seen. Love the movie, but I think he takes away form it quite a bit as the vengeful son. It does have it's flaws, but it's just masterfully made.

Some thought he was snubbed by the Oscars last year for his role in Revolutionary Road, but I thought he was incredibly mediocre. Kate Winslet showed him up, but the whole movie acts as if its more than it really is and the movie seems to portray DiCaprio's character as someone who is more complex than he really is. There was no depth to his performance. It was all superficial and every contortion of his face was acted. It didn't seem felt. He has a moment in one of the final scenes of Shutter Island where he jumps into a lake and what he finds shocks and horrifies him, the look on his face seems real and he seems to be so in the moment that I immediately thought of Sean Penn in Mystic River and his now infamous yelling scene, "Is that my daughter in there?" A chilling scene and brilliantly acted.

Shutter Island is a slowly developing film that takes its time when revealing the truth behind Shutter Island. It has some great backstory of DiCaprio's wife (Michelle Williams, who is exceptional), his time in the war (WWII) that has a massacre that Tarantino and the Basterds would be proud of. I loved the score, the look / cinematography and the performances are top notch. DiCaprio is in (probably) every scene of the movie and it's completely his.

For the first hour and a half the mystery, the secrets and DiCaprio's reason for being there are the focus while DiCaprio is just kind of there for the ride, but eventually the film turns and the final 40 minutes are about as extraordinary as any movie I've ever seen, and DiCaprio is at his best. The question "Who is 67?" is a bit predictable, but DiCaprio and the way it's written is so in the moment and so intent on "popping the lid off" of the hospital and revealing all the dirty secrets that you do get a bit blind sided by what is pretty obvious. Great movie with an incredible ending and performance from DiCaprio that will probably be forgotten by Oscar season, which is a shame because he's nomination worthy.

If this came out last year, it would currently rank third on my list just ahead of Inglorious Basterds and The Hurt Locker.
                Last edited by BigBanger; 02-19-2010, 09:24 PM.
                Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                Originally posted by GoRavens
                Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• A little surprised at some of the characters you guys are bringing up. I'd go in a very different direction, but it would all start with Plainview >>> Bill The Butcher

Going to see Shutter Island now.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                    Oh its on...These arent in any specific order, just 10 that are better...keep in mind, these are characters, not dramatic performances, although I guess that plays a part as well

The Joker (The Dark Knight)
                    Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)
                    Gollum (LOTR trilogy)
                    Jason Bourne (Bourne Trilogy)
                    Ron Burgundy (Anchorman)
                    Benjamin Button (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
                    Patrick Bateman (American Psycho)

Debateable
                    Amelie (Amelie)
                    Anton Chigurh (No Country for Old Men)
                    Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.)
                    Mal Reynolds (Serenity)
                    The Bride (Kill Bill)
                    V (V for Vendetta)

Ok, in retrospect, Plainview is pretty badass, so maybe all those dont apply to him. But they are all better then Bill the Butcher. So there! He sucks!
                    Woah woah woah...I love some Robert Downey Jr. just as much as the other straight men here, but he wasn't playing a "character" in Iron Man. He was just acting as an extended version of version of his real-life self. Daniel Day Lewis rocked Bill the Butcher, and I don't think the 2 can compare.

Debateable? Maybe.

Comment

• While I understand the criticisms of RDJ as an actor, and he just plays different versions of himself, but please understand that it wasnt RDJ playing himself called Tony Stark. The character of Tony Stark was around long before Robert Downey Jr. found his way into the spotlight. The Iron Man character has always been the one depicted on screen, it was just a matter of perfect casting. So while I understand that someone who has never read the comics would think its just RDJ playing himself, hes actually a spot on cast as Tony Stark. So as a character, yes, I found him more interesting and entertaining then Bill the Butcher.

Comment

• Best movie ever? Possibly. Awesome soundtrack anyways.

Comment

• You watch watch that piece of ****.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Adam Brody is in it so that's usually a plus.
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                              You watch watch that piece of ****.
                              These words make no sense.

Comment

• Shutter Island was good with strong performances, but I felt like it had the potential to be great, yet there were a few flaws that held it back from that.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information