Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
    Honestly, I hate people who say Spielberg is a bad director. Watch Schindler's List. Seriously, such a great film.
    I think people call him a bad director and hate on him because he does a lot of commerically driven movies and seems to be a more technical director than one who delves deep into human emotion. I think there is some truth to this, take for instance saving private ryan, probably the greatest war movie ever when it comes to the technical aspects and feel of war but there is not a lot of context or messages. Movies like Apocalypse Now may not be as technical as spr but in my opinion it is a masterpiece because not only is it visually stunning but it takes a look at a mans soul and the plights of war. All that being said, Schindler's List is Speilbergs masterpiece but his lack of deep context in his other movies turns people off.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
    12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

• I heart Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

• Spielberg's technically incredible, you can take his films and go frame by frame and each shot is like a perfect picture. However his movies always leave me wishing there was more to them.

Comment

• Spielberg often straddles the line between movies that are uniquely heartfelt (Schindler's List) and those which are a bit of a Hollywood cliche (Saving Private Ryan). Nothing wrong with him technically, but his film work tends to be conventional and the stories he chooses tend to be even more so. And conventional usually means boring.

Comment

• He executes conventionalism so well though. I think thats a huge reason behind his success. He does such a great job story telling and connecting with the audience.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• I think one of Spielberg's finest achievements is Munich and it's always overlooked which is a shame.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Speilberg is unique in that he can make a totally popcorn movie like Indiana Jones or ET or Jaws....and then also make a really serious and inspiring movie like Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan or Munich...or War of the Worlds (hah, just kidding).

Comment

• For me, Speilberg has to be considered as one of the greatest directors of our time. He consistently directs, writes and produces high quality blockbusters who, lets face it, bring in the Benjamins. And in the movie business, that is what is more important. It may not be the most important thing for people in this thread, many of us whom prefer smaller titles with no doubt more impressionable material then Spielberg's sometimes boring cliches work. That said, look at the number of HUGE, as in iconic, films that he has made:

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
                  Jaws
                  Indiana Jones Series
                  The Color Purple
                  ET
                  Jurassic Park
                  Schindlers List
                  Saving Private Ryan
                  AI
                  Minority Report (Personal Fave of mine)
                  Catch Me If You Can
                  Munich

All those films are either extremely well renowned or excellently made. And thats just his directing credits. His writing/producing ones are even more impressive. Hes won 3 oscars. Hes been nominated for like 14 of them. Its really hard to argue against his pedigree. That said, the only movies from that list which I personally really enjoy are Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can. That said, hes a great director, but he appeals to the blockbuster/popcorn movie type crowd more then he does to movie...elitists isnt the right word, but its the first one that comes to mind :D (Chuck P)
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                    I think one of Spielberg's finest achievements is Munich and it's always overlooked which is a shame.
                    Great movie, but long as hell lol, i liked it alot, but some of my buddy didn't seem to care for it as much as me.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
                    XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
                    Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
                    http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

Comment

• Anyone ever here of the Foot Fist Way...... I watched the trailer, and I really want to see it..... I am not sure when the DVD comes out.

He is going to be in Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder because of this movie

here is the hilarious trailer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=409PcQOZGkQ&fmt=18

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                        I think one of Spielberg's finest achievements is Munich and it's always overlooked which is a shame.
                        I liked Munich but i didnt think it was really memorable or anything. Good movie but i wouldnt rewatch it or go out of my way to reccomend it to someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                          For me, Speilberg has to be considered as one of the greatest directors of our time. He consistently directs, writes and produces high quality blockbusters who, lets face it, bring in the Benjamins. And in the movie business, that is what is more important. It may not be the most important thing for people in this thread, many of us whom prefer smaller titles with no doubt more impressionable material then Spielberg's sometimes boring cliches work. That said, look at the number of HUGE, as in iconic, films that he has made:

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
                          Jaws
                          Indiana Jones Series
                          The Color Purple
                          ET
                          Jurassic Park
                          Schindlers List
                          Saving Private Ryan
                          AI
                          Minority Report (Personal Fave of mine)
                          Catch Me If You Can
                          Munich

All those films are either extremely well renowned or excellently made. And thats just his directing credits. His writing/producing ones are even more impressive. Hes won 3 oscars. Hes been nominated for like 14 of them. Its really hard to argue against his pedigree. That said, the only movies from that list which I personally really enjoy are Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can. That said, hes a great director, but he appeals to the blockbuster/popcorn movie type crowd more then he does to movie...elitists isnt the right word, but its the first one that comes to mind :D (Chuck P)
                          How could u not like Schindlers List?

Comment

• I would hardly call a film like Minority Report "iconic".

Comment

• So I watched Toy Story again. The idea is still pure brilliance. The way its executed is amazing too. What an amazing movie...

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by Excel Monkey View Post
                                I would hardly call a film like Minority Report "iconic".
                                I wouldnt either but I really enjoyed it.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information