No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Terminator today. The action was awesome, but some of the stuff said in the movie left me kinda WTF.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Watching Punch Drunk Love. Not PT's best, but very underrated IMO. Adam Sandler is wicked in this movie.
      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
      The APS is strong in this one.
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
        Watching Punch Drunk Love. Not PT's best, but very underrated IMO. Adam Sandler is wicked in this movie.
        Call me the Mattress Man but a fantastic movie, IMO.

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
          I just watched Fanboys. Hilarious
          it reminds me way too much of my friends because we're all star wars nerds

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
            it reminds me way too much of my friends because we're all star wars nerds
            You just got even cooler to me.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
              You just got even cooler to me.
              Empire is my favorite with A New Hope coming in second. Jedi is good but episodes I-III are blah.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                Empire is my favorite with A New Hope coming in second. Jedi is good but episodes I-III are blah.
                I agree with you in the order. Empire's my favorite movie of all time but I think the best scene of the trilogy (and one of my favorite scenes ever) is the second duel of the death star in ROTJ. Ewoks still suck though.

Also, The Beach is an incredibly underrated movie.
                Last edited by Brodeur; 05-25-2009, 12:51 AM.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• No Country for Old Men is just now starting on Encore. I haven't watched this since I saw it in theatres. Hooray!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                    I agree with you in the order. Empire's my favorite movie of all time but I think the best scene of the trilogy (and one of my favorite scenes ever) is the second duel of the death star in ROTJ. Ewoks still suck though.

Also, The Beach is an incredibly underrated movie.
                    The only good part about I-III is the scene where Obi-Won wrecks Anakin. I find it funny that the only people who didnt suck it up in I-III were Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor.

And, yes, The Beach is a really good movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by nrk View Post
                      It wasn't just the script. Some of the acting was bad. Christian Bale was absolutely terrible. When he shouted "WHAT ARE YOU?" I started cracking up out loud. I didn't "connect" with any of the characters. The action was boring except at the end.
                      ****SPOILER ALERT**** don't proceed further if you haven't seen T4 yet.....I saw it Friday & agree to the extent that the script & action in this "Summer action blockbuster" ran out of gas about halfway thru the film.

I wanted to the see the full scope of the post-apocalyptic war between the killer bots & human survivors since the 1st Terminator in 1985 with that scene of that future war in John Connor's dream, & this delivered on that desired formula, really liked the New Mexico setting too with the battle on that high bridge (BTW did anyone else notice that's the same NM bridge where Oliver Stone had Harrelson as Mickey Knox give his epiphany speech in Natural Born Killers?), but when the setting shifted to a new SF wit he bot factory the disappointments came fast & furious for me..... I realize I have to suspend disbelief to enjoy sci-fi or any fictional story, but when the CG effects take over the storyline for obvious showoff big screen eye candy appeal & I have problems there. That alone has killed a lot of CG films, see the Clone Attack Star Wars (just awful) & Van Helsing (even worse) & you know exactly what I mean.

No real problem with Bale's performance, he brings veritas to every role but the script as noted here just petered out & it ceased to be his story, the focus on the droid character changed everything for me. I seemed like a film that spent all its budget to put it all on the screen as the saying goes, & that may be enough for a summer actioner. I say it rates 2 stars: **

The only good part about I-III is the scene where Obi-Won wrecks Anakin. I find it funny that the only people who didnt suck it up in I-III were Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor.

And, yes, The Beach is a really good movie.
                      The only Star Wars film worthy of 4+ stars was Empire b/c Lucas was busy doing American Graffiti & got his former Film School prof & old Hollywood pro Irvin Kershner to direct, Harrison Ford was justified in dissing RotJ as Teddy Bears On Parade b/c that ending just plain sucked balls.

DiCaprio can either make a film or break one, as he did breaking The Aviator b/c he was terribly miscast as Howard Hughes or the disappointing Body of Lies. But he nailed it in Blood Diamond, The Departed, & the Beach, & Tilda Swinton gave her standard superlative performance too, The Beach is very underrated & I say rent it ASAP. If you're a DiCaprio freak & still want more, Gangs of NY is a far better film with him directed by Scorsese also than Aviator.
                      Last edited by LizardState; 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Which did you like better, Return of the Jedi, or Empire Strikes Back?
                        Empire.
                        Blasphemy.
                        'Empire' had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All 'Jedi' had was a bunch of Muppets.

/end

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
                        12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

• My personal favorite movie and Star Wars is Return of the Jedi. The beginning is just so badass when Luke strolls up into Jabba's palace.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• I think Lucas missed out on making an epic, multi-generational war themed trilogy when he decided to put the emphasis on Padme and Anakin's relationship. The scene in ANH when Ben tells Luke "Obi-wan Kenobi. I haven't heard that name since,oh, before you were born." held a certain mystic to it. The trilogies really didn't deliver IMO.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Just watched Sunshine Cleaning last night. It was a disappointment. I thought it would be more comedic and the drama wasn't very touching to me. I mean it may be because I am male and it deals with a mother-daughter dynamic that I thought it was lacking.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                                The only Star Wars film worthy of 4+ stars was Empire b/c Lucas was busy doing American Graffiti & got his former Film School prof & old Hollywood pro Irvin Kershner to direct, Harrison Ford was justified in dissing RotJ as Teddy Bears On Parade b/c that ending just plain sucked balls.
                                How was he busy doing American Graffiti? Wasn't that like 4 years before the first movie?

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information