Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soccer Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
    I know, especially that same idea, it didn't work the previous 35 times they tried it, what makes Henry any different? lol
    I dunno. I don't even have any good ideas on how to efficiently make soccer a more popular sport in this country.


    Comment


    • Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
      I dunno. I don't even have any good ideas on how to efficiently make soccer a more popular sport in this country.
      Honestly i don't think it'll ever happen.

      Comment


      • Soccer won't become popular in the States because they can't jam in 40 thousand commercials every game.

        Sig by Fenikz

        I remember NFLDC
        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

        Comment


        • I think the MLS is slowly gaining interest. Of course it will never be like Europe but the game is becoming more popular here I think. Henry is past his prime but I think he'll have more success here than Beckham did. Henry did start in the Champions league final just last year and scored 5 goals in that tourney. He's not as good as he used to be but he'll bring fans to the game which in the end is a good thing.
          #Chop


          sig by BoneKrusher

          Comment


          • MLS is coming to Montreal in 2012 <333333333

            #MoncriefArmy

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
              I think the MLS is slowly gaining interest. Of course it will never be like Europe but the game is becoming more popular here I think. Henry is past his prime but I think he'll have more success here than Beckham did. Henry did start in the Champions league final just last year and scored 5 goals in that tourney. He's not as good as he used to be but he'll bring fans to the game which in the end is a good thing.
              I don't know about that. Beckham is easily one of the most well known soccer players throughout the world. Henry is well known, but I doubt the average American who doesn't follow soccer has heard the name before.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                I think the MLS is slowly gaining interest. Of course it will never be like Europe but the game is becoming more popular here I think. Henry is past his prime but I think he'll have more success here than Beckham did. Henry did start in the Champions league final just last year and scored 5 goals in that tourney. He's not as good as he used to be but he'll bring fans to the game which in the end is a good thing.
                It'll never be like anywhere. While it might be gaining interest, the interest is still minimal. They'll never fill a stadium, and they can't afford to bring in the players that can. And like Addict said, they go 90 minutes without commercials. That's not very appealing.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                  I don't know about that. Beckham is easily one of the most well known soccer players throughout the world. Henry is well known, but I doubt the average American who doesn't follow soccer has heard the name before.
                  Yes Beckham is a bigger name but I think the Red Bulls attendance will go up because of Henry. Just for an example the Gillette commericals with Jeter, Federer, and Henry were playing all the time. Beckham is a bigger draw but Henry still helps.
                  #Chop


                  sig by BoneKrusher

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                    Yes Beckham is a bigger name but I think the Red Bulls attendance will go up because of Henry. Just for an example the Gillette commericals with Jeter, Federer, and Henry were playing all the time. Beckham is a bigger draw but Henry still helps.
                    I agree there for sure. Anything to help increase awareness of soccer is a good thing. (Even if it is that dirty cheat Henry!!!)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                      It'll never be like anywhere. While it might be gaining interest, the interest is still minimal. They'll never fill a stadium, and they can't afford to bring in the players that can. And like Addict said, they go 90 minutes without commercials. That's not very appealing.
                      Well most countries leagues can't afford the players they need. I'm not saying soccer is going to be bigger than the other sports but over time interest has slowly been rising. The World Cup years always help and even ESPN has been pushing European club soccer this year more than ever which will help the MLS in a spillover effect. The commercials thing is a big problem since we're such a ADD country. When European clubs come over they sell out easily. I was at the Chelsea/A.C. Milan game last year in Baltimore and it was a great atmosphere and packed. Those fans like European matches better but 10 years ago I'm not sure if we would have seen a crowd like that.
                      #Chop


                      sig by BoneKrusher

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                        I agree there for sure. Anything to help increase awareness of soccer is a good thing. (Even if it is that dirty cheat Henry!!!)
                        Haha that's also a good point. Most people here might know Henry just because of that incident.
                        #Chop


                        sig by BoneKrusher

                        Comment


                        • Out of interest what sort of wages and transfer fees do the teams in the MLS fork out?

                          I think it will keep getting bigger, but it'll be over a very long period. A good performance in the WC will definately help you out.

                          Comment


                          • Disagree on the pessimism concerning the prospects of the popularity of American soccer in the future. If you look at where this sport was in 1990 and you look at it now, not only is our national team more impressive, but much more people follow the team. Soccer will never be as popular as it is in Europe, but it will slowly become more popular...emphasis on "slowly." The key is that at some point, MLS teams need to field teams with comparable talent of teams across the pond. Questioning why the MLS isn't that popular is like wondering why Minor League Baseball hasn't taken off yet.

                            Anywho, big day for La Liga.



                            sig by BoneKrusher

                            Originally posted by BuckNaked
                            Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

                            Comment


                            • I think interest in soccer is growing in the United States, but interest in the MLS is still low. MLS is gaining interest, as evident in the additions of San Jose, Seattle, Philly over the past 3 years with Vancouver, Portland, and Montreal coming in the next 3 years (plus rumors of places like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and a few others getting teams after that).

                              The problem is MLS soccer is fairly sloppy, and the talent level isn't great. I think a lot of the Generation Adidas prospects they've been bringing in plus young foreign guys like Freddy Montero are helping. They really need more than one game a week on ESPN.

                              Comment


                              • In more relevant news than the fact that Americans don't care about soccer: Barcelona clinched the Primera today.

                                Inter is officially champion of Italy, too.

                                Sig by Fenikz

                                I remember NFLDC
                                don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information