No announcement yet.

Television Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished Party Down season 1 two days ago. About to start watching season 2. I can't believe I've waited this long to watch it.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
      Those were WB-type teenager shows with terrible acting, cheesy dialogue, and plot-hole ridden. They weren't good TV shows.
      I beg to differ, Angel was an ersatz typical spinoff lacking in quality & petered out as mentioned, but Buffy was a major success & a cash cow for a reason.

Whedon made a ******** of $ selling Buffy from the Paramount cable network to WB. He probably kept most of it, maybe used the $ to make Firefly & later the film Serenity, they weren't paying those then-unknown actors anything when it started in 96 or '97, & they weren't spending a lot of budget on CG monsters. Whedon wanted to do Firefly 1st as a space western but the Buffy feature film was a surprise hit, maybe having Paul Rubens' killer cameo performance helped, so the series happened instead.

The 1st 2-3 seasons were terrific, before Angel left on his spinoff & took Charisma Carpenter with him. Little Buffyverse trivia here: CC was btw originally cast to play Buffy, but they cast Sarah Michelle Geller, a former soap opera teen actress, b/c she had taken some tae kwan do lessons, still needed a blonde stunt dbl. though, & she came cheap. Can't see Charisma (love that name) as Cordelia as anything but a HS cheerleader type. Whedon exercised personal quality control on all the scripts, hired all the actors/actresses/guest stars personally, it introduced such later famous actors as Nathan Fillon

who later became Capt. Mal Reynolds on Firefly/Serenity.

And that long list of babeolicious eye candy actresses:

the artist formerly known as Prince's backup singer/dancer Robia LaMorte,

Michelle Trachtenberg as Dawn her sister,

Elizabeth Anne Allen as Amy the witch who turned into a rat then back again, minor character but I was thought she was megahot

Eliza Dushku as Faith the arch-badgirl slayer,

+ Seth Green (who does Robot Chicken, effing love that show!), Julie Benz of Dexter fame, Juliet Landau who's the daughter of Barbara Bain & Martin Landau from the original Mission Impossible in the 60s, James Marsters, of course David Boreanaz, Alyson Hannigan & others.

Josh Whedon spent 24/7 on the set for 7 yrs, got so wrapped up in it his wife divorced him -- maybe that rumor about him porking Charisma was true :--J -- in a later interview he said his TV work was his family, kind of expect that from a 3rd generation screenwriter like him.

Last couple of seasons (nos. 6 & 7) it dissipated & the storyline became plot-challenged, that's true, when Buffy "died" & they resurrected her, the anticlimactic Armageddon battle at the Hellmouth at Sunnydale HS, etc. All things considered it had a good run & is now a cable classic.
      Last edited by LizardState; 02-21-2011, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
        Those were WB-type teenager shows with terrible acting, cheesy dialogue, and plot-hole ridden. They weren't good TV shows.
        Go watch "The Body" and say that.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• delete post
          Last edited by LizardState; 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Eliza Dushku is so smokin hot
            "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Five By Five.

Comment

• I refuse to hear all this Buffy talk and have no one mention the hotness that was Sarah Michelle Gellar. She was smoking in her prime.
                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                The APS is strong in this one.
                Originally posted by killxswitch
                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• 2 episodes into Sons of Anarchy.

****, no one told me these were hour long episodes.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                    I refuse to hear all this Buffy talk and have no one mention the hotness that was Sarah Michelle Gellar. She was smoking in her prime.
                    Your wish is my command:

Yes she was, too bad her film career went all sucky, but Kristy Swanson, the original film version Buffy, had an even suckier film career.

Should've cast Alicia Silverstone instead......

Comment

• Finished season 3 of Angel last night great ending so glad I have Netflix because waiting to start the next season would have sucked.

Comment

• But Kristy Swanson was on Early Edition, so she's good.

Have to love that Kyle Chandler goodness!

Comment

• Originally posted by vidae View Post
                          Freaks and Geeks was NBC, but the rest are true.

Firefly was aired out of order when it was first aired on Fox too. They screwed the pooch on that one.

I just don't understand how this happens. Last season of Scrubs was out of order too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Damix View Post

I just don't understand how this happens. Last season of Scrubs was out of order too.
                            Fox thought the start of the series was too slow and wouldn't retain viewers, but the way they aired the episodes made absolutely no sense to the overall story. It was confusing and jumbled when aired that way. If you watch it from start to finish on DVD, it flows so well.

Basically, Fox sucks.

Originally posted by fenikz
                            His soft D really turns me off
                            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• Fox did the same thing with Undeclared. It's the same order as aired on the DVDs, and if you try to watch it that way, it makes NO sense.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Look lets stop listing reasons why FOX sucks and just agree that it's a terrible terrible network and needs to die.

Originally posted by WMD
                                Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                                Originally posted by gpngc
                                I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information