Hunter S Thompson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
    The aftermath was handled as well as it possibly could have been. Very shortly after the shootings, the guardsmen were indicted, and the National Guard reexamined their crowd control tactics. The government didn't try to defend the shootings.

Remember, we are only a few years into the Iraq War. Large scale Vietnam protests didn't happen for about 5 years after the beginning of our involvement. I don't think it will ever rise to the levels it did at Vietnam, but I can see almost daily the disillusionment with our government growing in people my age. This next presidential election will go a long way to determining if it can escalate to Vietnam like levels. If the GOP wins and there are reports or even rumors of improprieties, we could be in for some exciting times.

There does not need to be succession for their to be a civil war. Had one of those military guys got an itchy trigger finger during the riots in DC who knows what mayhem would have erupted. It undoubtedly would have led to mass riots across the country.

Our involvement in Iraq is an awful lot like our involvement in Vietnam. The protests haven't reached the same levels, but if we continue to handle it as poorly as we have, they still might. But, both wars were started(or escalated) based on lies. Both wars started out successfully, but got bogged down in guerilla warfare shortly thereafter. Only about 1/3rd of the population has approved of the handling of the war.

I think the biggest thing that could prevent an escalation of protests is a wide margin of victory in the upcoming elections. It doesn't matter which candidate it is, only that there is no controversy surrounding this election.
    Im nearly the same age as you, graduated last year. I went to one of the most liberal universities in the United States, the disilliusionment that you speak of isn't nearly on the same level. University of Wisconsin had massive protests of the Dow Chemical Company(made agent orange) during the Vietnam war era, the largest bombing in US history (up until Oklahoma City) occurred there as a protest to what was believed to be physics research for the government. University buildings were constructed during this time period to be designed to be able to control crowds in response to some of the protests that were going on (one infamously ugly building that was built for crowd control, Humanities Hall, was so ugly that upon its completion the architect committed suicide because he was so disgusted with how it turned out).

As of last year the largest protests that I have seen in response to the war or the Bush administration were no more than a few dozen people handing out pamphlets and some people writing in chalk on the ground. I undestand that there is resentment, yes, but it isn't necessarily resentment of the war as it is of the administration, something that can't be said of the 60's, where most of the resentment was for the war, not as much the administration.

Why you assume the GOP would be responsible for election frauds that could potentially come up shows your ultimate bias.

Comment

How in the hell did a thread about Hunter S. Thompson turn into a thread about the Iraq war? I thought you aren't allowed to discuss politics on this board, and from this thread I can see why. "Disillusionment with people your age?" Geez. Vietnam War compared to the Iraq War? Wth?

Back to the topic though, he's not even close to being the best American writer on my list. I would consider the best american writers to be ones such as Salinger, Fitzgerald, and Nabokov(yes, I know where he came from). He's not even the best writer of his time/type of writing.
      Originally posted by Charm City Byrdgang
      Waaaaaaaaah!!! It was totally cooler when I was the only one who made a truth thread. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! I thought that when I "retired" people would honor me by never making truth threads. WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !!!!
      Originally posted by Lions WMD
      It's called Auto Fellatio!

Comment

Its more of a discussion, nothing was getting heated or argumentative. If its against the rules I apologize. It started because Thompson was highly involved in the politics of the times and remained so up until his death. We were paralleling certain points in history as it related to writing.

Comment

Originally posted by andyjo672 View Post
          Its more of a discussion, nothing was getting heated or argumentative. If its against the rules I apologize. It started because Thompson was highly involved in the politics of the times and remained so up until his death. We were paralleling certain points in history as it related to writing.
          I understand, the post was directed at someone447 anyways, I just find some of his points absolutely ridiculous. But I won't get into it as that'll violate the rules.
          Also, politics or not, I don't think Thompson even comes close to being one of the greatest american writers of all time.
          Waaaaaaaaah!!! It was totally cooler when I was the only one who made a truth thread. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! I thought that when I "retired" people would honor me by never making truth threads. WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by andyjo672 View Post
            Im nearly the same age as you, graduated last year. I went to one of the most liberal universities in the United States, the disilliusionment that you speak of isn't nearly on the same level. University of Wisconsin had massive protests of the Dow Chemical Company(made agent orange) during the Vietnam war era, the largest bombing in US history (up until Oklahoma City) occurred there as a protest to what was believed to be physics research for the government. University buildings were constructed during this time period to be designed to be able to control crowds in response to some of the protests that were going on (one infamously ugly building that was built for crowd control, Humanities Hall, was so ugly that upon its completion the architect committed suicide because he was so disgusted with how it turned out).

As of last year the largest protests that I have seen in response to the war or the Bush administration were no more than a few dozen people handing out pamphlets and some people writing in chalk on the ground. I undestand that there is resentment, yes, but it isn't necessarily resentment of the war as it is of the administration, something that can't be said of the 60's, where most of the resentment was for the war, not as much the administration.

Why you assume the GOP would be responsible for election frauds that could potentially come up shows your ultimate bias.
            Nonono, that isn't what I meant. I meant that people would not be as outraged if it was the Dems that did it. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I voted Republican last election, but I am not sure I will this time. Dems may be more responsible for election fraud than the GOP. But since they haven't won the last two presidential elections, it hasn't been made a big deal. The whole florida fiasco in 2000 has done a lot more to damage our election process than the underreported vote early, vote often campaigns that the dems have seemed to run.

I am not saying the disillusionment is anywhere near Vietnam levels. I am saying that it seems to be growing every day. I think it is definitely possible that we may eventually get to that level. It won't necessarily be about the war, just the direction our country is headed in.
            I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Gatz View Post
              I understand, the post was directed at someone447 anyways, I just find some of his points absolutely ridiculous. But I won't get into it as that'll violate the rules.
              Also, politics or not, I don't think Thompson even comes close to being one of the greatest american writers of all time.
              You don't see parallels between the wars? I have said multiple times that we are not at the level they were at during vietnam.

Nothing we have talked about has even been political. This thread has been much more a historical thread than a political one. Everything we have discussed has been in the realm of history rather than politics.
              I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

If he's anything like Dr. Seuss I'll definitely look into him

Paul

New York Giants
                New York Yankees
                New York Knicks (unfortunately)
                UConn Basketball
                Virginia Tech Football
                UConn Football

Comment

How in the hell did a thread about Hunter S. Thompson turn into a thread about the Iraq war? I thought you aren't allowed to discuss politics on this board, and from this thread I can see why. "Disillusionment with people your age?" Geez. Vietnam War compared to the Iraq War? Wth?

Back to the topic though, he's not even close to being the best American writer on my list. I would consider the best american writers to be ones such as Salinger, Fitzgerald, and Nabokov(yes, I know where he came from). He's not even the best writer of his time/type of writing.
                  I can't stand Salinger and Fitzgerald. Admittedly I have never read Nabokov, so I can't comment on him.

Who do you consider the best writer of his time?
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Well Salinger and Nabokov both wrote around that time, but if I am looking at his type of fiction, I prefer Ken Kesey over Thompson.
                    Meh, it's arbitrary, I am just not into that group of writers. I still think though, calling Thompson one of the greatest american authors, even of the 20th century, as another poster said, is a hyperbole. I am more into european fiction than american fiction anyways.

Comment

Greatest American writer? Easy there chief.

1. Hemingway

2. Everybody else

But I do like Thompson...I just finished his book, "Hell's Angels," and it was pretty good. But I don't think he's in the class of Hemingway.

Other Favorite American Authors
                      -John Steinbeck (Grapes of Wrath- greatest American novel)
                      -Kurt Vonnegut (Very underrated)
                      -J.D. Salinger
                      -Henry David Thoreau
                      -Mark Twain (Huck Finn is one of my favorite books)

I think all those guys are better than Thompson

Tolstoy, Nabokov, and George Orwell are some other favorites of mine
                      Last edited by adschofield; 12-11-2007, 11:35 PM.

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                      Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by adschofield View Post

1. Hemingway

2. Everybody else

But I do like Thompson...I just finished his book, "Hell's Angels," and it was pretty good. But I don't think he's in the class of Hemingway.

-J.D. Salinger
                        -Henry David Thoreau

Eh, I definitely think Hemingway is overrated, so is his style. Fitzgerald was the best lost generatioin writer in my opinion, I just don't like Steinbeck, even though he's easy to read.
                        A note on Salinger, I liked Catcher in the Rye, and I think he did a masterful job with the novel, but Nine Stories impressed me much more than his novel.

Comment

Originally posted by adschofield View Post

1. Hemingway

2. Everybody else

-J.D. Salinger
                          -Henry David Thoreau
                          -Mark Twain (Huck Finn is one of my favorite books)

I think all those guys are better than Thompson

I can't stand Hemmingway. Reading him makes me want shoot myself in the head with a shotgun.

Thoreau has some pretty good stuff, Mark Twain is absolutely amazing. Animal Farm is my favorite book ever.

Well Salinger and Nabokov both wrote around that time, but if I am looking at his type of fiction, I prefer Ken Kesey over Thompson.
                          Meh, it's arbitrary, I am just not into that group of writers. I still think though, calling Thompson one of the greatest american authors, even of the 20th century, as another poster said, is a hyperbole. I am more into european fiction than american fiction anyways.
                          I definitely like european fiction more than american.

They were 20 years before HST. I really like Ken Kesey, but I think HST is quite a bit better. I am not only thinking about HST's novels, in fact, I like much of his writings for magazines better. The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved is my favorite magazine article of all time.
                          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Funny story about Hemingway...When he married his second wife, he was forced to convert to Catholicism, and while he was in Spain on his honeymoon, he became impotent. His wife told him several times to go pray in one of the nearby churches in Spain. He left the hotel for a while, and jokingly went into the church to pray. Let's just say that he was a Catholic until he had, as my English teacher who is a huge Hemingway fan puts it, "a gun cleaning accident."

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                              I can't stand Hemmingway. Reading him makes me want shoot myself in the head with a shotgun.

Thoreau has some pretty good stuff, Mark Twain is absolutely amazing. Animal Farm is my favorite book ever.

I definitely like european fiction more than american.

They were 20 years before HST. I really like Ken Kesey, but I think HST is quite a bit better. I am not only thinking about HST's novels, in fact, I like much of his writings for magazines better. The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved is my favorite magazine article of all time.
                              George Orwell is my favorite author, no doubt about it. 1984 and Animal Farm were brilliant. However, I identify most with Hemingway
                              Last edited by adschofield; 12-11-2007, 11:59 PM.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

R.L. Stine is a pretty good author.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information