X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cardsalltheway
    Originally posted by Texico From Mexico
    Originally posted by thule
    I agree, I can't believe and old timer like yourself would leave guys like Walter Johnson and Grover Alexander off.
    You need to go back and read what I wrote...umm in two places actually.
    thats not an excuse for not putting on johnson
    Becuase I was typing off the top of my head....you are an idiot. Sorry, but you saw my reasons. There are so many I could have listed and just threw it out there. That is what the "other" is for

Comment

I agree Walter Johnson is a top pitcher of all-time, but using the fact that he pitched in the deadball era isn't really supporting that. The deadball era was when there was little offense and pitchers dominated. During the deadball era HR were a premium and pitchers had way more advantages than hitters did.

Cy Young isn't in the top 5 pitchers of all-time. He had 500+ wins, but at the same time he holds the record for most losses as well. The reason Young was able to rack up so many wins was because of how long he pitched for and how many games he pitched in a season. Young has more career losses than Tom Seaver does wins.

Personally, I like Roger Clemens. I know he isn't done with his career but he is by far the best pitcher of our era, which is arguably the hardest era to pitch in. In the current era is opposite of the deadball era. Everyone and their mother hits 30 HR a season while HR and R are all at an all-time high. Add in the steroid scandal (assuming he didn't do roids) and Clemens is pitching in an era where offense dominates. He has 300 wins and will probably finish 8th all-time, an amazing 4502 K (2nd to only Nolan Ryan), a career ERA of 3.12, 7 Cy Young awards (Most ever), and a 1.17 WHIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriots-Lions
        I agree Walter Johnson is a top pitcher of all-time, but using the fact that he pitched in the deadball era isn't really supporting that. The deadball era was when there was little offense and pitchers dominated. During the deadball era HR were a premium and pitchers had way more advantages than hitters did.

Cy Young isn't in the top 5 pitchers of all-time. He had 500+ wins, but at the same time he holds the record for most losses as well. The reason Young was able to rack up so many wins was because of how long he pitched for and how many games he pitched in a season. Young has more career losses than Tom Seaver does wins.
        Personally, I like Roger Clemens. I know he isn't done with his career but he is by far the best pitcher of our era, which is arguably the hardest era to pitch in. In the current era is opposite of the deadball era. Everyone and their mother hits 30 HR a season while HR and R are all at an all-time high. Add in the steroid scandal (assuming he didn't do roids) and Clemens is pitching in an era where offense dominates. He has 300 wins and will probably finish 8th all-time, an amazing 4502 K (2nd to only Nolan Ryan), a career ERA of 3.12, 7 Cy Young awards (Most ever), and a 1.17 WHIP.
        So what! Because he was a man, and was able to start 50 games a season means he doesn't count? He had a great arm, so he isn't a top pitcher? Yes, he had a lot of losses, but when you take his win to loss ratio it is better then Walter Johnson. Plus, he pitched in nearly 1000 games, and he held a career ERA of 2.6. You cannot tell me that he is not one of the top 5 pitchers, if not the best.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

I think Pedro Martinez is the greatest pitcher of our era when you take into account his dominating stretch from 1997-2003. Clemens never had a 6 year strecth like that and arguably it was better than Koufax's 5/6 year period of his dominant pitching. Pedro in 200 in the AL in the midst of the steroid era in a small ballpark had a 1.74 E.R.A with 313 K's and only 37 BB's. You'll be hard pressed to find any pitcher in the history of baseball have as good a season as that.
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Id say Nolan Ryan. Bob Gibson was great too.

PM me for sig requests
            Originally posted by Sean Connery
            Suck it Trebek!

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080
              I think Pedro Martinez is the greatest pitcher of our era when you take into account his dominating stretch from 1997-2003. Clemens never had a 6 year strecth like that and arguably it was better than Koufax's 5/6 year period of his dominant pitching. Pedro in 200 in the AL in the midst of the steroid era in a small ballpark had a 1.74 E.R.A with 313 K's and only 37 BB's. You'll be hard pressed to find any pitcher in the history of baseball have as good a season as that.
              I agree...Pedro's span of dominance has been great. I think it comes down to a personal preference when your breaking down Pedro vs. Clemens. Both have been and are currently great.

Comment

Pedro and Walter Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by cardsalltheway
                  I gotta go with cy.
                  I agree 511 is almost impossible to beat

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey Joe
                    Originally posted by Patriots-Lions

So what! Because he was a man, and was able to start 50 games a season means he doesn't count? He had a great arm, so he isn't a top pitcher? Yes, he had a lot of losses, but when you take his win to loss ratio it is better then Walter Johnson. Plus, he pitched in nearly 1000 games, and he held a career ERA of 2.6. You cannot tell me that he is not one of the top 5 pitchers, if not the best.
                    Walter Johnson played on a terrible team nearly his whole career, which is why he doesn't have so many wins. Walter has a much better ERA, more SO's, and would adapt much better to this era than Cy Young would.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Nolan Ryan. Simple choice for me.

Comment

I think Satchel Paige was great, and he hasn't been mentioned. Too bad he didn't play his prime in the majors.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                        Originally posted by njx9
                        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

My distant cousin Nolan.

Comment

I'm gonna go with Bob Gibson.

That is correct comahan
                            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                            <3 dg

Comment

I personally believe that Satchel Paige was the greatest to ever play the game, if he had a chance to play in the MLB earlier on in his career he would have shown alot of people what a dominant pitcher looked like.

Comment

Cy Young, by far IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information