Whats your major/line of work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
    ...but I find much of the social sciences superfluous. I'm not saying that useful stuff isn't being discovered, but helping people? Nah.
    Yeah, **** psychology, law, sociology, education, anthropology, and political science! What did they ever do for me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12 View Post
      Here are the things I'm interested in studying:

Political Science
      Macro Economics
      English
      Creative Writing
      Journalism
      Communications
      Philosophy
      Public Relations

Next year, I'm going to UT (Tennessee). If they had a creative writing major, I might do that, but they only offer that as a minor. So, what's good to major in if I'm looking to go into Journalism or Public Relations as a career, and write fiction on the side? Any advice would be appreciated.

does ut have a pr major?

like at wvu, we have about 5 different journalism majors (visual media which is if you want to be on tv; print media---newspaper, mags, etc; advertising; and a pr major); like im in print media; i will graduate from our school of journalism with a journalsim degree in print media

if they have a creative writing minor, you could major in journalism and minor in that

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
        or you could have an aunt who has the most ridiculous connections in the NFL ever, which rules
        your aunt does??

have I ever mentioned how much I like you, scotty
        I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
          Yeah, **** psychology, law, sociology, education, anthropology, and political science! What did they ever do for me?
          yeah, I worded that wrong. I should have just said I don't see how Linguistics really "helps" people, provided understanding ourselves doesn't count.

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen
          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
            yeah, I worded that wrong. I should have just said I don't see how Linguistics really "helps" people, provided understanding ourselves doesn't count.
            Why wouldn't that count?

That's like saying "___ is useless so long as you ignore all the useful stuff".

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
              Why wouldn't that count?

That's like saying "___ is useless so long as you ignore all the useful stuff".
              I meant help as in drastically affecting normal people's lives positively. Those things that you mentioned do. Some social sciences don't. That was my badly put point.

by BoneKrusher
              <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• Marine biology is the only major that matters

Comment

• Originally posted by steelersfan43 View Post
                  Marine biology is the only major that matters

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

• Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                    Is that a titleist?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                    they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                    Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• Originally posted by kwilk103 View Post
                      does ut have a pr major?

like at wvu, we have about 5 different journalism majors (visual media which is if you want to be on tv; print media---newspaper, mags, etc; advertising; and a pr major); like im in print media; i will graduate from our school of journalism with a journalsim degree in print media

if they have a creative writing minor, you could major in journalism and minor in that
                      Where I study in Australia, The journalism degree covers all mediums and you start learning about them as soon as you start giving you options to pursue online, print, radio, tv, whatever you want.

I like that idea as opposed to narrowing your degree to one particular field.

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                        Is that a titleist?
                        Hole in one, huh?

by BoneKrusher
                        <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• I have no idea what I will do as a profession. Unless I can get a dream job, I'm thinking medical. I have a lot of friends who are going into medical, and UAB is the best med school in the southeast.

Probably free tuition (at least) at Bama, Auburn, or UAB. But I need to figure out what I'm doing.

I'm a highschool junior.
                          Virginia Tech.
                          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                            Where I study in Australia, The journalism degree covers all mediums and you start learning about them as soon as you start giving you options to pursue online, print, radio, tv, whatever you want.

I like that idea as opposed to narrowing your degree to one particular field.
                            we have to take general stuff, but then you narrow it

but, you can take other fields as electives if you want

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                              UAB is the best med school in the southeast.
                              That would be Duke and Vanderbilt.
                              Temple University Owls

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                                In the long run? A teacher ain't going to make squat compared to someone who is good with finance. I also am likely going to be a teacher.
                                Teaching really isnt as bad of a profession as people think. For one, name me another profession besides something like pro sports where you get the whole summer off? You also get long winter breaks and spring breaks. Not to mention you get pretty good hours of about 7:30-2:30 in high school and like 8:30-3:30 or so for elementary and middle school. You prep your room for the next day and you go home. If you have kids then its even better because you leave when they leave and you get home when they get home. You dont want elementary school kids having to go home by themselves. Not to mention you dont have to worry whether we are in a recession or not because teachers are always in need as long as people keep having more and more babies. You can also get a summer job or teach summer school to make extra money. Teaching isnt that bad of a deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information