Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Track Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Track Advice

    I've been bouncing around events, ive ran anywhere from a 200 to 1600,

    im a soph

    200- 25.something high (ran only once)

    400- 55.41

    400 Hurdles- 68 (first time and i had only gone over two previous to racing)

    800- 2:12 (last year PR ive only ran it 2 times since 2:18, 2:14)

    1600- 4:56

    Basically what im asking is what i should focus on, I really do like hurdles after my first time but theres no way of knowing how ill do until i learn how to hurdle lol.
    Last edited by BaLLiN; 05-21-2009, 07:29 AM.

  • #2
    The mile seems to be your strength.

    Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

    Comment


    • #3
      My senior year PR's
      100: 11.2
      200: 22.4
      400: 51.9
      LJ: 21'
      TJ(Not state sanctioned): 40+'

      If I were you, I'd def run mid distance. Your 55 in comparison to your 200 time is very impressive, and 2:12 is nothing to sneeze at. Keep working on those and you'll see a dramatic improvement. You can still run the 400h too. And this way you can run relays and be on a 4x4 team.

      Take it for what its worth though.
      CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.


      Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
      JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Brent View Post
        The mile seems to be your strength.
        Really? Because most good mile runners will run around 4:30s. I was going to say 400, unless you think you can shave 10 seconds or more off your 800. Most good 400 runners will be low 50s, with the really good ones sub 50.

        Comment


        • #5
          IMO your 400 time is the best out of the 5. Cut 3-5 seconds (takes a lot of work) and you'll be competitive.
          I'm a state.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
            Really? Because most good mile runners will run around 4:30s. I was going to say 400, unless you think you can shave 10 seconds or more off your 800. Most good 400 runners will be low 50s, with the really good ones sub 50.
            He's a sopohmore, so I was mildly impressed. The longer the distance, the easier it is to improve by leaps and bounds. I took me forever to shave time off my 100/200.

            Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Brent View Post
              He's a sopohmore, so I was mildly impressed. The longer the distance, the easier it is to improve by leaps and bounds. I took me forever to shave time off my 100/200.
              True, but a shade under 5 isn't that impressive for a mile (no offense Ballin). His 400 and 400 hurdle times look a lot more impressive and from experience, I dropped from a 56 to 53 in the 400 from the beginning to the end of my soph year. Also, a 68 is pretty good for 400 hurdles your first time. If he can improve his form at all, along with conditioning, that time will jump down a good amount.

              Comment


              • #8
                Stick w/ the 400. Seems to be your strength. I went to the Georgia high school state meet 3 years We were runner up all 3 as a team and If you can get your 400 time to around 49-51 you will do very well for yourself.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                  True, but a shade under 5 isn't that impressive for a mile (no offense Ballin). His 400 and 400 hurdle times look a lot more impressive and from experience, I dropped from a 56 to 53 in the 400 from the beginning to the end of my soph year. Also, a 68 is pretty good for 400 hurdles your first time. If he can improve his form at all, along with conditioning, that time will jump down a good amount.
                  none taken, it was from last year, now i think im too big for distance, i ran a 5:10 which was horrible and never ran it again this season.

                  For what its worth i feel like im actually going to grow, i was 5'6'' 125 and now im 5'71/2'' 145 from beginning of winter track to now. I feel like i can do alot better in everything but my fricken osgood slotters sucks so the mile is almost out of the question. And when i did the 400 hurdles i strained my groin and then ran a 56.48.

                  I know its kindof ***** to make excuses on injuries but the osgoods is legitimate and the groin went away from adrenaline, its just i literally cant sprint to my full potential or ill feel bad pain.

                  But thanks for the input all of you.

                  this is what i think i can do:

                  400- 54. low 40s
                  400H- 62
                  800- 2:08 (i was on pace to be here as a soph and then i went backwards)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Brent View Post
                    He's a sopohmore, so I was mildly impressed. The longer the distance, the easier it is to improve by leaps and bounds. I took me forever to shave time off my 100/200.
                    thanks BretN, i really felt like i wanted to do the mile after freshman year running that time, but then it all went south from there. There are freshmen running 4:37 (ridiculous)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dunagan15 View Post
                      Stick w/ the 400. Seems to be your strength. I went to the Georgia high school state meet 3 years We were runner up all 3 as a team and If you can get your 400 time to around 49-51 you will do very well for yourself.
                      well the best time this year was a 49 in my county, theres a senior on my team that runs a 51 and he only got 6th

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I use to do the 3200 and did 10:13. I would say your 1600 is probably your strongest so far.

                        Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          lol getting alot of mixed info

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here's the best advice I can give as a former HS track star: figure out what your best event is and if you are kind of split on like one or two, dedicate yourself to it entirely. I was best at 100m and 200m, so I spent all my time working on all aspects of each event. I can't remember how many 300s and ladders I probably ran over the course of high school haha.

                            Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I ran distance in high school. Your mile time and 400 are impressive. 800's not quite as good as those two.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information