Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started back up at the gym after not going for a few months, this time focusing more on cardio, and I'm pretty happy with how I'm doing so far. I started last Monday, and decided I'd spend an hour on the treadmill before I do the rest of my workout. Considering my size, 5'8 and 212, I was very happy when I first tried it out and went 3.5 miles over an hour, since then I've worked it up to 4.3, alternating between walking/jogging/running. I've lost 5 pounds since I started a week ago and by Thursday last week, I felt a difference in how I was able to handle the cardio, and I've steadily been increasing my speeds on my jog and run, as well as doing them longer. I honestly wasn't expecting to improve this much, even though it was early on, but I'm hoping by the end of next week I'll be able to hammer out 5 miles in an hour, since I know my improvement will slow down. The only thing that sucks is I got a **** ton of blisters on my feet, despite wearing two pairs of socks. I actually got a blister under a blister the end of last week, but this week I haven't had any problems with blisters, and think my feet are getting used to it. Lately I've been spending almost two hours a day at the gym, which is more than I used to, and the running I'm doing is really what's working best in helping me feel so much better. I am to the point where I think I'll actually have easily visible abs by May, (Not that any of you care, except for maybe APS or Yoda) as well as more toned arms and legs already, so I'm thinking if I keep up with this type of plan (as well as me already eating health-ier and drinking less soda/booze :() I should be in the best shape I've been in a long time, and maybe ever.
    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• wearing 2 pairs of socks makes it tighter, but wearing one gives you less protection. I say **** it and run barefoot.

Good job though.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
      02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
      02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
      02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
      Originally posted by fenikz
      we all hate you

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
        wearing 2 pairs of socks makes it tighter, but wearing one gives you less protection. I say **** it and run barefoot.

Good job though.
        I would, but I doubt the gym would want that. Its supposed to be better for your posture and pretty much everything. Shoes just **** **** up, from what I've heard. I've heard those shoes that are shaped around your feet are supposed to be the best thing outside of running barefoot, but I don't have the extra money to spend on them, even if I were in the mood to look like a tool.

Comment

• Haha, yeah, blisters suck. I've got a blood blister on my pinky toe that is so big, my pinky toe is close to the size of my 4th toe.

Just soak your feet a ton with hot water and epsom salt. It does a great job of reducing the swelling and will allow you to move around with less pain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
            Haha, yeah, blisters suck. I've got a blood blister on my pinky toe that is so big, my pinky toe is close to the size of my 4th toe.

Just soak your feet a ton with hot water and epsom salt. It does a great job of reducing the swelling and will allow you to move around with less pain.
            I just run through it...

LIKE A BOSS

Comment

• The last 6 weeks I've done:
              Day 1 legs - squats, hack squats, front squats, lunges, etc
              Day 2 chest/tris/shoulders - bench, clean and press, close grip bench, etc
              Day 3 back - deadlifts, barbell rows, shrugs, etc

Starting March 1 I'm going to do:
              Day 1 (Heavy deadlift day and back)
              Deadlift - 6 sets ending with 1 rep max
              Benchpress - 3 sets ending at 80% of 1 RM
              Hack squat - 3 sets ending at 80% of 1 RM
              Barbell rows - 4 sets ending with 1 RM
              Dumbbell shrugs - 4 sets

Day 2 (Heavy chest day and triceps)
              Benchpress - 6 sets ending with 1 RM
              Squat - 3 sets ending with 80% of 1 RM
              Good mornings - 3 sets ending with 80% of 1 RM
              Close grip bench - 4 sets ending with 1 RM
              Weighted dips - 4 sets

Day 3 (Heavy squat day and shoulders)
              Squats - 6 sets ending with 1 RM
              Deadlift - 3 sets ending with 80% of 1 RM
              Dumbbell bench - 3 sets ending with 80% 1 RM
              Clean and press - 4 sets ending with 1 RM
              Dumbbell shoulder press - 4 sets

Obviously I'm doing some form of bench, squat and deadlift every workout, which I'm excited about. I'm going to mix up what lifts I do but I am going to stick with doing the standard squat, bench and deadlift twice a week. Also going to start and end every workout like I do now with a circuit of pushups, pullups, dips, supine rows, hindu squats and handstand pushups.

Comment

• Would you guys say you workout for the look, and stats, or to be healthy in general

Comment

• Originally posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
                  Would you guys say you workout for the look, and stats, or to be healthy in general
                  To be healthy. Also, I just enjoy pushing myself to physical limits.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• So I can dominate my friends when I play football with them. Explosive lifts for the win.

Comment

Would you guys say you workout for the look, and stats, or to be healthy in general

Pretty much everything. As someone who used to be heavy, it's nice to be in very good shape. I really don't care about the stats. It's not something I need to tell everyone I meet. Being healthy is a plus, and I find it to be great stress relief.

Comment

• All of the above. I just love the feeling after a great workout.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                        02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                        02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                        02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                        Originally posted by fenikz
                        we all hate you

Comment

• I have numeric goals and like to be able to measure progress. I also like my sleeves to have to stretch a little. My wife likes big gunz. Also, the more lean body mass you have the faster your body can burn fat even when you're just sitting around. It also comes in handy when friends ask me to help them with things. I guess for me it's a combination of stats, looks, and functionality.

Comment

• I workout because its gonna improve my wrestling. Once Im done wrestling I will still be lifting. IDK if its gonna be for strength or bodybuilding. Time will only tell.

Comment

Right now its to get healthier. I wouldn't say I'm fat, but I'm overweight. I already know that even if I get myself to top shape, I'm still going to be "big". I'm pretty much build big, all the way around, except for my height. Even if I get my body fat to an insanely low mark, I will not be skinny, the best I can go for is trim. I already have a tone of muscle on my frame, and its just covered up by glop, which is what I'm getting rid of now. So ultimately as I work out I will look better, but I'm doing it to get healthier, and even in the little bit of running I've been doing recently (the most running I've really ever done in my life), I've noticed a big difference. I'm trimming down and a lot of the things I do for work that made me breathe harder (mostly carrying toolboxes or other heavier tools from our truck to rooms inside) are no harder than just walking in carrying nothing. Its actually funny for me to look forward to running now, because for the rest of my life, I culdn't just run. I feel it already and for the first time since I was working our for football back in high school I look forward to going into a workout. But back then I, hated the running, now I go to the gym and I walk in excited to start. It sounds weird, but I catch myself smirking when I'm running, but that may have as much to do with a lot of things going on that I'm happy with right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                                Pretty much everything. As someone who used to be heavy, it's nice to be in very good shape. I really don't care about the stats. It's not something I need to tell everyone I meet. Being healthy is a plus, and I find it to be great stress relief.
                                Right now part of the motivation besides already feeling better is wanting to get to the point where I can consider myself in very good shape. Compared to how I felt a month ago, I feel much better, and I'm still in meh shape. I can't wait to feel what it feels like to be in very good shape, its been a long time since I was truly healthy, and I really don't remember what its like to be "fit". Until recetnly, I didn't really care about fit, I'd go into a workout just lifting and doing minimal or no cardio and thought that was good enough. I really regret all that wasted time now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information