Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate doing dead lifts, any alternative suggestions? I do squats and leg presses alot so I still get good leg workouts.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by neko4 View Post
      I hate doing dead lifts, any alternative suggestions? I do squats and leg presses alot so I still get good leg workouts.
      Deadlifts hit your back pretty hard too. It's a real good compound lift. If you get rid of it, you're losing a great workout.

The thing that I always tell myself while lifting is, "If it was easy, everyone would do it." Usually gets me through my sets.

Comment

• Originally posted by neko4 View Post
        I hate doing dead lifts, any alternative suggestions? I do squats and leg presses alot so I still get good leg workouts.
        I also hate dead-lifts. I would like to think I had good form but yet my back would still be far too sore the next day. I never do them anymore.

My suggestion for alternative would be cleans, hang cleans specifically, which still depend alot on form but IMO put less strain on the body as a whole.

Here's a chick given a tut.

stephenson86

Comment

• hang cleans and squats instead of dead lifts.. Uh...dead lifts are huge for the back while the others may hit the back but don't concentrate on it like a dead lift. Gotta do em as far as I'm concerned, one of the most important lifts.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
          they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
          Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• I owe my explosiveness to Hang cleans. When I learned to do them right I could feel myself getting better on the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
              I owe my explosiveness to Hang cleans. When I learned to do them right I could feel myself getting better on the field.
              QFT. Fantastic once you learn proper form, it will benefit all your other lifts too.

stephenson86

Comment

• So fellas I'm after a bit of advice.

I've been going to the gym for about a year properly now, eating reasonably sensible stuff and working out 4/5 times a week. I've got pretty decent muscle size and can lift a fair bit (I have a pic of me from on holiday in the summer if it helps to see my size).

Now I want it to be more toned though so I'm wondering what exercises to do, what to eat and what shakes to drink.

I currently have USN muscle fuel for my protein shake.

I've heard that a low fat + low carb diet plus creatine is the best for toning up, but just thought some of you guys might know more?

Cheers. :)

Comment

• Lower weight higher reps of whatever you're doing plus cardio.

stephenson86

Comment

• Originally posted by UK_Cheesehead View Post
                    So fellas I'm after a bit of advice.

I've been going to the gym for about a year properly now, eating reasonably sensible stuff and working out 4/5 times a week. I've got pretty decent muscle size and can lift a fair bit (I have a pic of me from on holiday in the summer if it helps to see my size).

Now I want it to be more toned though so I'm wondering what exercises to do, what to eat and what shakes to drink.

I currently have USN muscle fuel for my protein shake.

I've heard that a low fat + low carb diet plus creatine is the best for toning up, but just thought some of you guys might know more?

Cheers. :)
                    Figure out how many calories you need for maintenence.
                    Subtract 500.
                    Divide that into 40% Protein/ 40% Healthy Fat / 20 % Carbs.
                    Follow that and do more cardio on top of lifting.
                    Profit.

Comment

• I'm thinking about being crazy and starting some kind of rudimentary plyometric routine on off days. Anyone have any good literature or advice on this type of thing? Probably not going to do it any more than two days a week if that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Besides the ABs, what other muscles can you work everyday? Calves, ankles, wrists, forearms, biceps, triceps, neck?

Also, what are some workouts for the calves, ankles, wrist and forearms, and neck?

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

• Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
                          Besides the ABs, what other muscles can you work everyday? Calves, ankles, wrists, forearms, biceps, triceps, neck?

Also, what are some workouts for the calves, ankles, wrist and forearms, and neck?
                          Wait a minute. You shouldn't be working abs every day.

Comment

• Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                            Wait a minute. You shouldn't be working abs every day.
                            by everyday, I mean every workout day. I work out 5 days a week, and I always work the abs with a different workout.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

• Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
                              by everyday, I mean every workout day. I work out 5 days a week, and I always work the abs with a different workout.
                              Ah, that's not bad then. I think every other day (Monday-Wednesday-etc.) is the best way to go, but 5 days a week is alright. All the muscles you listed after you asked should be fine to go that often too.

Shouldn't you be getting some professional advice from their trainers now that you're an NIU athlete?

Comment

• Originally posted by BufFan71 View Post
                                completely disagree

all u need is a 50lb KB and yur set
                                give me a dumbbell that I can load with however much weight I want and I can do pretty much the same exercises. Kettleballs ftl.......even tho they do have some benefits, the rigidity of the weight (essentially the fact that you cant change the weight of the kettleball) makes them a poor investement for a home gym because you cant keep moving up in weight and getting stronger. And if you just use them for conditioning, get a bag of sand or some open ended dumbbells and lift those, you will burn the same amount of calories for the most part.
                                Last edited by Rob S; 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM.
                                When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information