Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thefalconer View Post
    i'm looking to get in shape over the summer and had some questions regarding protein supplements and working out in general. i'm not looking to get huge but instead just tone my upper body and work on the gut that i've had forever.

- when should i take whey protein shakes?
    i researched a little and saw it's most important to take after a workout and ideally within an hour after the workout. and some places said it's also good to take right after waking up and before working out. just wanted to confirm what i read.

- is there a bad time of day to work out?
    i have work and a pretty jammed schedule throughout the day and was planning on working out around midnight about 4 times a week. is that too late?

- any advice on a workout regiment?
    i'm planning on doing cardio consisting of running a mile on the treadmill and the stationary bike for about 15 min. and then afterwards using the weight machines. i really don't know much though so advice regarding number of reps and sets would be great. and i've heard a lot about the HIIT method from some co-workers and i'm wondering if that's something i can do on the treadmill.

+rep guys. thanks.
    From what I know, you drink protein shakes two times a day (one in the morning and one post-workout) for bulking up purposes. Once a day should be fine if you're just looking to get stronger. Keep in mind, a normal person consumes more protein than your body usually needs.

The only bad time of the day to workout is when it is crowded really.

Comment

• and that is 4-7:30 at my gym.

Comment

• Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
        From what I know, you drink protein shakes two times a day (one in the morning and one post-workout) for bulking up purposes. Once a day should be fine if you're just looking to get stronger. Keep in mind, a normal person consumes more protein than your body usually needs.

The only bad time of the day to workout is when it is crowded really.
        appreciate it. so it's all good to workout, take a protein shake and go to bed?

Comment

• Originally posted by thefalconer View Post
          appreciate it. so it's all good to workout, take a protein shake and go to bed?
          The timing of your protein consumption has no effect on your body composition.
          Peyton Manning Fanboy
          Originally posted by Complex
          They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Comment

• I cannot stress enough how amazing HIIT is for anyone looking to lose weight/have more tone.

Comment

• You should take some whey right after working out regardless of goals. You need something for recovery purposes.

Also, I have been doing the deck of cards cardio work out, its pretty damn good. I cant really lift heavy due to my knee, but deck of cards + complexes are a nice sub.
              When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                I cannot stress enough how amazing HIIT is for anyone looking to lose weight/have more tone.
                Any particular HIIT routine that works best? Definitely thinking about giving it a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                  Any particular HIIT routine that works best? Definitely thinking about giving it a shot.
                  Whatever you will actually do. I think complexes are great, 400m sprints with rest inbetween work well, timed sprints with jogging inbetween, whatever as long as your consistent.

Comment

• yo Rob how is the knee doing? When can you get back to lifting?

Comment

• Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post

I just throw on sweatshirt, sweatpants, and a ski cap, then do 12 sets of

30 second sprinting, 30 second light jog.

Then I'll do complexes after about 4-5 minutes of stretching. And after that I get a lot of sweat and I'm pretty beat. If I'm feeling ambitious, I can do this twice in one day maybe cutting out the complexes the second time around.

I've been doing that 3 days a week along with regular lifting 4 times a week (so doing some kind of working out 7 days a week), a slight cut back in the portions I've been eating, and I'm down about 18 pounds in about 4 months. (I didn't need too lose a lot a weight either, was just setting out to get in a bit better shape)

Still drink and eat awesome foods too.

Comment

• Originally posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
                        For some reason all of a sudden my strength has been really increasing lately. Ive been benching 225 2-3 times on my 5th set. My goal for the summer is benching 250 at 150 pounds.
                        Just to update i now bench 225 5 times for my last set.
                        Peyton Manning Fanboy
                        Originally posted by Complex
                        They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                          yo Rob how is the knee doing? When can you get back to lifting?
                          I wound up spraining my ACL. It's feeling better now, but I am hesitant to squat or deadlift heavily. I should be able to give some light lifting workouts a go next week (nothing more than like 185) and if that feels perfectly fine, I think I will give a semi-heavy 5x5 a try the following week. I can run and play soccer now without pain, so I like my chances. I have just been taking my time because its not like I need get back to training for any specific reason right now and its not worth re injuring or totally tearing it.
                          Last edited by Rob S; 05-30-2010, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• yeah good idea,

do you do the wendler 5x5 that is always talked about on sherdog?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                              yeah good idea,

do you do the wendler 5x5 that is always talked about on sherdog?
                              5-3-1 you mean? I am gonna start that next fall. I am doing my own think right now (a 10-8-5-3-1). Just doing the 5x5 to test because I know exactly where I should be at with that routine.

Comment

• yeah thats what I meant, the posters on sherdog seem to really love it, but it seems like there isnt a lot of volume.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information