Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just tried one of the complexes that were being talked about pages ago. Did the Waterbury one. Ow..

Finished and said to myself I had hoped it worked my legs more. I was thinking that.. until I stood up and found my thighs cramping like none other.

I plan on just using complexes from now on. I plateaued using weights, and am really bored with cardio.

Comment

• I'm starting to get really frustrated trying to lose weight. I tried HIIT a couple weeks ago but I wasn't able to sprint more than 6 or 7 times (30 second intervals) so I started jogging about 2 miles every day, eating only healthy food about 1200-1600 calories a day and weight training every other day, I've been doing this for about 2 and a half weeks and I didn't see any change in the way I look so I weighed myself to see if I've made any progress and I haven't lost any weight in that time period. I know HIIT is more effective than jogging but I was still surprised I haven't made any progress, could HIIT really make that much of a difference?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhVSo6de6q0

thoughts on this guy claiming sqauts are the worst exercise for lower body? I think this sounds like BS
        I can see squats not being ideal for certain types of athletes, but they're very important for someone strength training.
        Last edited by TitleTown088; 06-20-2010, 08:11 PM.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
        they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
        Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
          I'm starting to get really frustrated trying to lose weight. I tried HIIT a couple weeks ago but I wasn't able to sprint more than 6 or 7 times (30 second intervals) so I started jogging about 2 miles every day, eating only healthy food about 1200-1600 calories a day and weight training every other day, I've been doing this for about 2 and a half weeks and I didn't see any change in the way I look so I weighed myself to see if I've made any progress and I haven't lost any weight in that time period. I know HIIT is more effective than jogging but I was still surprised I haven't made any progress, could HIIT really make that much of a difference?

How much weight do you want to/have to lose?

And what are the thoughts on doubling up on a routine (once in morning, repeat it at night)

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
            How much weight do you want to/have to lose?

And what are the thoughts on doubling up on a routine (once in morning, repeat it at night)
            I'm 5'9 and about 150 but it's a bad 150 (I used to be over 200). I just want to get in good shape but that damn last bit of weight won't go away. I'm thinking I could lose about 10-15 pounds of fat and was hoping I could do it before the fall semester starts. Also I'm definitely willing to double up the routine if I can get some results.

Comment

• try going ketotonic if that would suit your lifestyle. A lot of my friends that fight find they HAVE to go keto in order to make weight and lose those few extra lbs. I assure you, if u stick to a strict keto diet for a month, you will drop serious weight.....the key is slowly adding back carbs (and good ones) or you will gain it back.
              When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• I've thought about that before but being in an Italian family it's pretty hard to avoid carbs so I've generally tried to stay away from that, but I am getting pretty desperate haha. If I did try that would I have to avoid carbs every single day without fail or would I be able to have pasta like once a week? Also most of the weightloss foods I currently eat contain pasta anyway and I eat a lot of fruit too so I'd definitely have to completely revamp my diet but I'm definitely down to try it if it's the best way.

Comment

• Yeah, no don't avoid carbs thats a big no no. Avoid bad carbs like sugar, white bread, white rice, empty fillers, pasta.

You want complex carbs, so whole grain bread, sweet potato, brown rice are carbs you want, lean meat, fruits, veggies.

Since your trying to loose fat, cut out dairy or if you want to dairy go with fat free. Also cut out red meat and watch the lbs come off, also limit fast food to 1 time a week or none at all.

Comment

• Yeah, I've been reading up on it and I don't think I want to cut out carbs completely. Really I already do most of that stuff but I think my one downfall might be the frozen weight loss dinners I get (mostly pasta-based) that are loaded with carbs. So apples, bananas, strawberries etc. are good? I know they have a lot of sugar but I've been trying to lose weight by purely eating as little fat as possible so I always thought it was fine.

Comment

Yeah, I've been reading up on it and I don't think I want to cut out carbs completely. Really I already do most of that stuff but I think my one downfall might be the frozen weight loss dinners I get (mostly pasta-based) that are loaded with carbs. So apples, bananas, strawberries etc. are good? I know they have a lot of sugar but I've been trying to lose weight by purely eating as little fat as possible so I always thought it was fine.
                      Having healthy fats with each meal worked well for me. Then again, I also cut out carbs from 4pm and on.
                      http://scivation.com/books/
                      Check out their Lifestyle Cut book. It gives a lot of pointers on how to narrow down your diet.

Comment

• Right now, I'm 5'9" and about 187 lbs. Now, I am not fat, in fact, I'm pretty bulked up. That's the problem. I have been hitting weights, along with riding my bike, to the point that I've put on a lot of mass, more than I'd like.

I'd like to lose mass but without giving up lifting, any suggestions? The only thing I could think to do was use less weight and increase reps. I'd like to move to a cardio-based lifting routine. I just want ideas on lifts I can do.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                          Right now, I'm 5'9" and about 187 lbs. Now, I am not fat, in fact, I'm pretty bulked up. That's the problem. I have been hitting weights, along with riding my bike, to the point that I've put on a lot of mass, more than I'd like.

I'd like to lose mass but without giving up lifting, any suggestions? The only thing I could think to do was use less weight and increase reps. I'd like to move to a cardio-based lifting routine. I just want ideas on lifts I can do.
                          circuit training for sure, you'll have to move down in weight, it cardio and time based and you won't bulk up.

Also complexes won't bulk you up, ploy-metric weight workouts. Taking light weights and jumping around the gym or in 1 spot.

Comment

• If you are doing a true keto diet, its pretty much 0 carb with no wiggle room. You must be under 20 g carbs per day for it to work. You can eat pretty much unlimited bacon, steak, other fatty meats, cheese and eggs tho. It worked for me when I needed to make weight and works for all the fighters I know. A lot of them just stick to it full time (altho they keep carbs at around 35 or 40 when they arent cutting) and all of their tests are fine (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.) despite like 2 lbs of fatty meat, 1/2 lb. of cheese and at least 12 eggs a day.

Brent, your lifts shouldnt really change. Any good weight lifting plan, for any goals, will include bench, squat, and deadlift. Keep doing them and do them heavy (if you didn't do them, probably incorporate them). If you want to get smaller, just eat less and do cardio (if you want a cardio weight lifting routine, try complexes......I introduced the forum members here to them a while ago and everyone seems to love them). You dont have sacrifice all the strength gains you have made in cutting a little bulk as long as you keep lifting heavy....you wont get bigger just through lifting, the food intake has to be there for you to grow. Cut out some calories, step up the cardio, keep lifting heavy and you have a good chance to lose some weight while keeping most of the strength you have gained.
                            Last edited by Rob S; 06-21-2010, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• I realized some of the stuff I was eating that was low in calories and fat had like 300 g of carbs in them alone, so I'm thinking about cutting down to about 80 g of carbs a day, but still eating pretty healthy. Cut out all the pasta for chicken, salmon, steak, etc. If that doesn't work out I will probably try a straight keto diet.

Comment

I realized some of the stuff I was eating that was low in calories and fat had like 300 g of carbs in them alone, so I'm thinking about cutting down to about 80 g of carbs a day, but still eating pretty healthy. Cut out all the pasta for chicken, salmon, steak, etc. If that doesn't work out I will probably try a straight keto diet.
                                Yeah, you can try reducing first. It may not work tho depending on your body type. If you do decided to go keto, I have done it a number of times so just ask me for some advice and I will be happy to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information