Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop Advice Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Laptop Advice Thread

    Ok, I'm off to Rutgers in a month and a half or so, and need a laptop obviously. I'm an admitted laptop n00b and have no idea what to get. Right now I'm a sports management major and I may try and minor in journalism.

    So that's a **** load of writing, with like economics and crap from sports management. I'm not going into insane math probably just re-taking pre-calc and be done. So there's that. Just any advice would be super helpful from you laptop gurus or guys who've had experience with laptops at college. I just wanna take notes, go on teh internets, and simple stuff.

    http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/newcomputers.php

    ^That's Rutgers "guidelines" for laptops I guess.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    We ALL bleed scarlet
    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

  • #2
    Make sure it has cupholders.




    2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

    Comment


    • #3
      Once you go Mac, you never go back.


      But honestly, for wireless, Macs are so much easier to set-up. As an RA, I had 50 students give me their PCs and it would take 30 minutes to get set-up sometimes with all the crap they had to do. Heck, some just would reject the password and stuff for the school.

      Once you have a name and password, the Mac is literally two clicks away from wireless connectivity. And you'll use wireless. A lot.


      Follow Me on Twitter!
      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
        Make sure it has cupholders.
        Duh, laptops come with built in cupholders.



        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
          Once you go Mac, you never go back.


          But honestly, for wireless, Macs are so much easier to set-up. As an RA, I had 50 students give me their PCs and it would take 30 minutes to get set-up sometimes with all the crap they had to do. Heck, some just would reject the password and stuff for the school.

          Once you have a name and password, the Mac is literally two clicks away from wireless connectivity. And you'll use wireless. A lot.
          I was a Mac hater until I got my MacBook Pro three weeks ago.

          It's worked GREAT for me. The battery life on the semi-low setting is seven hours!

          Comment


          • #6
            Yea, PCs are so hard to setup for wireless.

            You click "Wireless connections", then double click the one you want, then enter the password. I don't know how anyone deals with that...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
              Yea, PCs are so hard to setup for wireless.

              You click "Wireless connections", then double click the one you want, then enter the password. I don't know how anyone deals with that...
              It's a bit different for colleges because generally you are going to have to obtain a whole other name and password to use in access to the network, plus most computers aren't initially set up for the TCP/IP stuff, so you have to fandangle your way to enter the stuff. And there is usually virus protection and other crap you are forced to download if using a college network.


              Follow Me on Twitter!
              https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                It's a bit different for colleges because generally you are going to have to obtain a whole other name and password to use in access to the network, plus most computers aren't initially set up for the TCP/IP stuff, so you have to fandangle your way to enter the stuff. And there is usually virus protection and other crap you are forced to download if using a college network.
                I guess.

                All I know is for Iowa, they gave us instructions. All we had to do was click on the server for the school, then it had us login using our school username and password, and save the info. That was it. We never had to log on again.

                Still, are there schools that don't provide students with info on how to access the internet? They can't possibly just have students show up and find their way onto the internet. I've never been on a computer where I had to enter more than a password to connect (outside of setting up a router).

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was wanting a Macbook for a long time, but ended up getting a Dell Inspiron which comes in next tuesday. But ill settle with an iMac for my desktop.

                  If you dont have a budget look at some Macbooks or go on dell and build your own laptop on there.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Don't go with Dell.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i'm thinking of going with dell

                      bonekrusher on the sig magic
                      <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
                      <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                        Don't go with Dell.
                        Originally posted by BeansDooma View Post
                        i'm thinking of going with dell
                        Bahahaha, IDK why but I lol'ed quite a bit at this.
                        Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                        RIP themaninblack

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yea, I'm never buying another Dell. From experience and a lot of people I've talked to, random things have stopped working at or around 3 years, which just so happens to be when the warranty is up.

                          At 3 years and 1 month, my power cable died. I called in to ask them if it was possible that my cable died. I told them what happened, that I thought it was my power cable, and gave them all the info of my computer and such. Their response: "Oh, your warranty is up." I told them I knew this, and that I was willing to buy a new power cable, I was just calling to ask if that was indeed the problem. They told me that since my warranty was up, that they can't tell me if that was the problem or not. Even after telling them that I was 100% guaranteeing I will purchase a new cable from them, they told me again that they won't help me figure out the problem.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You just need to hush right now Iowatreat. I'm about 2 months away from reaching the 3 year plateau with my Dell and now you're making me nervous.
                            Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                            RIP themaninblack

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I did a ******** of research a few weeks back, ended up just building my own desktop instead of buy a laptop. But if that isnt an option, I really liked the Sony Vaio. You pay a little more (they are 1099 here), but they have great service plans for the few times they break and are great machines altogether. Also, the Lenovo Ideapad is supposed to be really badass.
                              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                              The APS is strong in this one.
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information