Anyone use RateMyProfessors.com?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use RateMyProfessors.com?

I use the site to find out about the professors I'll be having for the next semester.It's a great tool to find out who to avoid, although you have to take some of it with a grain of salt due to lazy students who just did not work.

I did use it for my benefit this summer though. I was taking an elective course, and i checked out my professor. The reviews were consistently negative, so i decided to drop it and take another elective. I recently checked the professor again and a comment was left that the class average was 56%. I dodged a bullet for using that site.

Anyone else ever used it?
    Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 08-17-2009, 10:28 PM.

Only thing I can say about college is: those sites are worthless. Schedule classes to fit the schedule you want to have, not based on who is teaching it. The only thing that controls your grade is how lazy you are or aren't. Awful professors are the exception, not the rule.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Never have used it and never have needed to. It's overrated in my opinion.

Comment

its a solid site, i wouldnt change my classes if i read something it though

Comment

I view it occasionally, but I form my own opinion. I have posted two comments for two teachers I really enjoyed. A lot of people on that site are really bitter about their grade. Like Brent said, its up to you what you get.

Comment

I definitely look up the professors that are teaching a class before enrolling. You are right that it should be taken with a grain of salt because a lot of people just base their ratings on the grade they received, but if reviews are consistently positive or negative I feel it is worth considering. And I disagree with the notion that the professor makes no difference. Different professors teaching the same class cant definitely have varying degrees of difficulty and work load.

Comment

It's a pretty useful site, i use it often. The Accounting department at my University is notorious for having some pretty nasty professors, and it has helped me steer away from them.

Comment

well I was informed via email of one of my professors before we got our official schedules and stuff, so thought, what the hell, I'll look him up. I'm not gonna drop his class because he seems like a hardass or below 75 is failing, it just lets me know what I'm looking at in the near future. I'm gonna use it, just to get an early feel for the professor, but it wont cause any changes for me or anything.
                We ALL bleed scarlet
                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Very useful site. I don't put too much stock into what people write about professors, generally because it's just a lot of people complaining "He made me read a book and I don't like reading," but if there's overwhelmingly bad reviews, it's worth noting.

I've also saved money by not buying textbooks when people posted that you wouldn't ever use them.
                  R.I.P. L.E.F.
                  "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post

I've also saved money by not buying textbooks when people posted that you wouldn't ever use them.
                    This is probably the biggest reason why you SHOULD use it. So many overachievers show up the first day of class with their books, then the professor tells them he's using his personal preference of book, or none at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                      Very useful site. I don't put too much stock into what people write about professors, generally because it's just a lot of people complaining "He made me read a book and I don't like reading," but if there's overwhelmingly bad reviews, it's worth noting.

agreed. I looked up my guy and all the reviews said you're gonna be reading a **** load, but it doesnt matter which book, edition 4 or 5. So I bought a nice cheap, good shape one on Amazon.

He later in his syllabus posted exactly that, which was pretty win.
                      We ALL bleed scarlet
                      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

I've also had the benefit of some advance notice on grading policies thanks to the site. People post quirks of the class which minimizes surprises.
                        R.I.P. L.E.F.
                        "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

I love the site. Yeah ratings can be misleading sometimes and what not, but overall it cant hurt to take a look.
                          When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

I went on it for the hell of it and it was meh. When I saw the flaming pepper next to my 70 year old psych professor, that was the kicker

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

I use it all the time and find it to be an incredibly valuable resource. In high school, it was more a way for kids to just bash teachers, whether it was justified or not, so i never really used it. However, it college it is really important. Many times I have been able to choose between a few different sections of a class and have used the site to choose which professor will be best for me. Obviously you can do well with any professor if you work hard enough, but sometimes there are professors you just don't want to have.
                              Just a few things I try to avoid:
                              1. First and foremost, a professor that is extremely liberal, who injects it into every conversation. Before I really started using the site, I had a terrible experience with a professor who was, among other thing, really anti Israel to the extent she referred to it as Palestine. I'm a Jew and that not only got on my nerves, but led to a lower grades because I refused to regurgitate the stuff she was spewing during the exam.
                              2.A professor that assigns a lot of expensive books that he wrote that you will barely use in the class. I've had professors assign their book that is $100 that we only used a chapter of.
                              3. Someone who isn't available for office hours or receptive to a student.
                              4. Obviously, a professor that isn't intelligent or a good lecturer is something I hate.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information