MLA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLA

So I just started the 5th week of my freshman year in college and I have 2 papers for two different classes and both professors like most require it to be in the MLA format...now my HS english teachers were idiots and prolly didn't know what MLA was either so they didnt teach it to my classes.

My question is....how does citing/quote something like a website work??? Do i copy and paste the lines i need and make it a seperate paragraph and where do I write my sources?

I feel like a bit of a moron asking this stuff but I'd rather feel like a moron right now and not when I fail my class.

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
    Originally posted by TitanHope
    R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
    He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

Copy and pasting would be plagiarizing!

This should help you out: http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citmla.htm

Google, friend.

Comment

If its a short quote you just do like:

Kel said, "I love orange soda" (Socrates 93).

If it is over 5 lines then you have to indent it and what not.

You must also ad a citation in a Works Cited a the end, which is a little more complex with stupid rules on underlining, periods, commas, order, and what not.

Best website for most of this stuff:
      http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/01/

You can get websites that do MLA works cited for you and I think Microsoft Word has a tool now too, but I am not sure how well they work.

This should be right, but I am an Economics major so I haven't written anything of importance in like 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
        Copy and pasting would be plagiarizing!

This should help you out: http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citmla.htm

Google, friend.
        Well I know that....but I've always just been told to put w.e. i was quoting in quotation marks and then just cite my source.

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
        Originally posted by TitanHope
        R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
        He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

Comment

www.easybib.com

You enter the information in the boxes and it does everything else for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorlax1 View Post
            If its a short quote you just do like:

Kel said, "I love orange soda" (Socrates 93).

If it is over 5 lines then you have to indent it and what not.

You must also ad a citation in a Works Cited a the end, which is a little more complex with stupid rules on underlining, periods, commas, order, and what not.
            This is correct. Indenting the entire quote, when it's 4 or more lines, is called a block quotes.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

some other stuff you might find helpful:

dont have to source common knowledge (if you find it in 3 sources is what i've always been taught); for example, Christmas is always dec. 25th, dont need to source that; but the GDP of England you would

and if you're not sure if you need to source it, do it anyways; better to source it and be safe

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by kwilk103 View Post
                some other stuff you might find helpful:

dont have to source common knowledge (if you find it in 3 sources is what i've always been taught); for example, Christmas is always dec. 25th, dont need to source that; but the GDP of England you would

and if you're not sure if you need to source it, do it anyways; better to source it and be safe
                The 3 sources thing is very false. Just because it is in three different books on the same thing does not mean it is common knowledge. As a History major you don't like rely on one secondary source that says something anyway.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Really. I thought MLA was common knowledge.

How do they let kids off to College without it?

At least Chicago Style... No?

wow, the quality of schooling has gone dramatically downhill.
                  http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                  For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                    Really. I thought MLA was common knowledge.

How do they let kids off to College without it?

At least Chicago Style... No?

wow, the quality of schooling has gone dramatically downhill.
                    That's what happens when the funding for public school education gets cut. I swear, I could have taught my high school classes better than some of my teachers.

Comment

more like MLGay

bonekrusher on the sig magic
                      <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
                      <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

Comment

Never had to use MLA. I had to cite everything for my Masters in APA.
                        Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                        Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

I just MLA Machine

Comment

this thread is just reminding me that i should be doing an essay right now :/

i've always had to use mla

bonekrusher on the sig magic
                            <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
                            <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dude View Post
                              Never had to use MLA. I had to cite everything for my Masters in APA.
                              Sciency things love APA.
                              http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                              For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information