Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books

I figured it was time to replace the old Literature thread with something new and fresh. What's everyone reading these days?

Some recent additions to my bookshelf...

Good, but not great. Then again, I think most contemporary mystery/thriller stuff is crap, so perhaps this was great by comparison to its genre. Well written, but not well written enough to make me want to read the sequel.

A really excellent book. It's rare that a novel about the contemporary status of a country manages to not lean on social value for its validity. This book manages to.

I got to consolidate my various JLB books into one nice collection, which I am now currently reading through in its entirety. Anyone who hasn't read Borges should.

And, because I can't get enough Borges...

Because Peter Sis and Borges are both awesome and so are mythological creatures.

Just started this for a class yesterday. So far, it has its moments, but I cant say Im a huge fan of the style.

Read this of my own choosing. What to say about Hemingway that hasnt already been said? He pioneered minimalist writing and has influenced countless authors.

Jose Saramago may be the best author you have never heard of. I love all of his work, and his newest novel didnt disappoint. Its set in a world where people suddenly stop dying. Excellent book.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Was about to go read this. Hundred or so pages in.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Really good book no lie.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanLeafWasGood View Post

Really good book no lie.
          Go away please.

Comment

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Anyone read Looking for Alaska? I just started.

Comment

This was the last book I was able to read, and it was great. I just haven't had the time to, or just read the NY times instead.

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

just finished it, quite a good read, entertaining the entire time... no lag in the action.

Hitman D

Comment

Oh, a few I forgot (these are much more boring)...

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                      Oh, a few I forgot (these are much more boring)...

How is this. I generally can not go near any books written about the Middle East as their is way too much bias and misinformation(from both sides) to gain anything from what is written.

Also I just finished this.

A must read for anyone interested in linguistics
                      Last edited by Chucky; 09-28-2009, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Anything by Walter Dean Myers is pretty awesome.

Fallen Angels was probably my favorite by him. It was pretty intense and at the same time had some comical moments to it. Excellent book.
                        (shameless self-promotion)
                        Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                          How is this. I generally can not go near any books written about the Middle East as their is way too much bias and misinformation(from both sides) to gain anything from what is written.
                          I thought it was really well balanced. Granted, Bennis doesn't delve very deeply into the larger social factors of the Israeli position (he does address the more recent developments) and he definitely takes the side of the Palestinians on most issues. That said, most people who take a close look at the situation are of the same mind.

Even if you ignore Bennis' obvious distaste for how Israel has acted (which I'm probably making too big a deal out of; the book is 99% just facts), it was the the most upfront and clear voiced analysis I've read. I wish he had delved into Jordan's role a little bit more, but it's a really short book.

Comment

We're reading this in my English 100 class:

It's a surprisingly good book.....its not a story per say but a bunch of essays and pasages from other literary works but it's actually pretty good.

and this one i really liked....i havent seen the movie though

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
                            Originally posted by TitanHope
                            R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
                            He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information